Model Cars Magazine Forum

Let's see those IH Scouts

Nice Scouts. I want to do one of the Spirit editions myself someday too. I'll have to order the decal set I saw for these in another thread. I like how yours is done. Nice SS versions also. Are they the new rerelease ones? They look very good. I promised myself I would get some other projects done and off the workbench before I started mine. I want to build a stock version someday too. Keep up the good work.

Jeff 

12 minutes ago, Goose1957 said:

Nice Scouts. I want to do one of the Spirit editions myself someday too. I'll have to order the decal set I saw

The Spirit stripes are easy to do with out buying the decal set. I did my own stripe work on mine by masking the stripe area's, and putting the stripes on by hand. The Off Road Scout SS's are the new Re-issue one's. I had a couple of scout II seat's and Steering wheel's from a couple of junked ones, and used those in the Scout SS's....

Thanks Tom. Nice pics. My real Scout sadly looks like those, but in even worse shape. I can't take credit for the rusty orange Scout model. I bought that from a member of our local model club a few years ago. I swear he said he bought it from the late Blair Pletcher,  but sadly, we cannot confirm this anymore. I think it captures the look of too many Scouts today.

Jeff 

Love that yellow plow truck!

Every Scout I've ever seen has brutal rust, like the entire thing is gradually turning paper-thin, like filo pastry disguised as a truck.

On a trip to the states a couple years ago I noticed at least 4-6 Scouts total in three separate locations, all within about a half-hour driving down the flathead valley in Montana. There must have been a prolific dealership up there at one point! Otherwise, I see them only rarely. I wondered if Montana Scouts might have survived better than elsewhere in the country...

A Scout story... back in 1991, there was a black Scout with a white top and a scallop graphic on the door for sale. It was sitting in a lot on the highway with a for sale sign on it. It wasn’t rusty, but dull paint and pretty well used. I had the bug to buy a little 4x4 at the time, and passed it every day on my way home from work. I had been too lazy to stop, but one day the owner was there so I stopped to look. If I remember right it was around $2000. The guy had it running and let me take a test drive. It seemed ok but there were two red flags. There was a big oil stain where it was sitting and when I wanted to investigate, the guy said the hood latch was broken. Sounded fishy so I passed.

Interesting enough, someone a block away from my house did buy it so I’d see it all the time. Either the truck was there or the big oil stain where it sat! It must’ve been an okay vehicle because the guy had it for years! I’ve kinda regretted not buying it and have started s model of it for my “vehicles that got away” collection.

i did okay too. Shortly after that I bought a brand new yellow Geo Tracker that I still have today!

• 4 months later...

Here's my latest International Scout offering. One of the new reissue Scout SS versions. I built it mostly box stock, with a few parts swapped out and a few scratch built parts added. I wanted to model a stock SS version as it may have come from the dealer with a few options. Looking at original sales brochures online, I saw the 1979 one showing a spare tire carrier option for the rear, so I scratch built one out of brass wire and brass shims I had in my parts box. I used the tire and wheel from an original Ertl kit I built earlier, but used different wheels/tires for (my orange one shown earlier). I scratch built a license plate frame and relocated it as shown. I scratch built a side mirror, as the ones supplied with the kit looked more like stock Scout mirrors, not the ones I saw on SS versions. I raided my parts boxes/scratch built parts for under the hood to add some detail and realism to a sparse kit engine bay. I used the front seats from a stock Scout kit, as the buckets that come with the kit seem like they're for the racing version,  not a stock SS. Most of the sales brochures showed a rear seat, so it came from the stock kit also. This is my first try at using Future (Pledge) floor polish and I have to say, it worked pretty well.  I just brushed it on and it gave a satisfactory clear coat to seal on the decals without a lot of hassle. 

Overall, this is a pretty simple kit that can be improved upon with the addition of some added parts and careful research.  My love of Scouts will always keep me coming back for more.

As always, thanks for looking and comments are welcome. 

Jeff

20190130_060850.jpg

20190130_060928.jpg

20190130_060955.jpg

20190130_061325.jpg

20190130_061350.jpg

20190130_061419.jpg

20190130_061530.jpg

20190130_061212.jpg

Jeff- Were you going to offer the under hood details in resin? I could definitely use a set to finish my black Scout. I set out to scratch the parts this week and the shapes of the two liquid containers, heater box and master cylinder are unique, and it would be my luck that I’d muck through it and then you would announce availability!

Hi Tom. That was Cargostar in another thread who was going to master some underhood details for Scouts. I had to look up the thread in "on the workbench" to remember it. I was also waiting for him to offer some underhood items. Mine aren't very nice, mostly parts box pieces modified and scratchbuilt stuff that's not exactly to scale. I wouldn't be comfortable having them cast and offered to others.Hopefully, somebody who's a better modeler than I will have them for sale someday. I know I'd probably buy a half dozen sets if they were reasonable in price. Thanks for the compliments. Hope to see pics of your Scouts when you're done.

Jeff

Yes. I want to add my Scots to the hall of fame here . Scouts are another favorite of mine . My Builds may not be as well done as the rest here . Good enough for me . I want the original '62-?? Scout model kit . Not yet done at this time . There was a die cast 1/25 at the agencies in the day once upon a time .I had one , it was sold out along with myself . Thanx 

IH Scout 2 ff.JPG

IH Scout 3 f.JPG

IH Scout 3 rr.JPG

Dimaxion, those are some nice looking Scouts and deserve to be shown on here. I really like the orange one with the old off road Scout decals.  Very cool look.

Tom, thats a good start on your Scout. The scallops give it a different look. Were they on the real one you almost bought? To bad you didn't get it back in the day. I know it might be a pile of rust today, or maybe not. But they sure are/were fun to drive. Great 4 wheelers and snow plowers. I sure miss being able to drive mine...sigh ?.

Jeff

13 hours ago, Goose1957 said:

Tom, thats a good start on your Scout. The scallops give it a different look. Were they on the real one you almost bought? To bad you didn't get it back in the day. I know it might be a pile of rust today, or maybe not. But they sure are/were fun to drive. Great 4 wheelers and snow plowers. I sure miss being able to drive mine...sigh

I may as well tell the story.... back around 1991 I got the bug to get a little 4x4.  It was the trend back then.  I was looking around and every day on my way home from work I'd pass this black and white Scout (yes with the scallop!) sitting in a parking lot facing the highway with a "For Sale" sign on it. I meant to stop but never did, until one day I saw a guy with it, I discovered was the owner, so I stopped.  It wasn't a bad truck. It wasn't rusty, just faded and dull. It had a green interior with a bench seat.

He had it running, and let me take if for a spin.  I couldn't help but notice it was sitting on a huge oil slick.  I asked to see under the hood and the guy said it was stuck shut. I took that as a negative and didn't pursue buying it.  Eventually I bought a brand new Geo Tracker convertible 4x4 which I still own today.

Anyway, as my life usually goes, that wasn't the end of it.  Someone a block from my house bought the Scout. Every day I had to pass it sitting in front of a house... either the truck or a large oil spot!  It must've been a decent vehicle because the guy had it for years.  

As with any specific make / model of vehicle, there is always one that comes to mind from your life's experiences.  Whenever I think "Scout" that is the truck.  Of course I had to build it.  I drew the scallop and Charlie Rowley was kind enough to print a few sets on his Alps printer.