Model Cars Magazine Forum

Getting some bodies painted and ready for winter.

Dragonhawk1066

Trying to plan ahead for this winter. I live in Michigan and paint outside in my shed, so basically once October hits I'm done painting. I actually painted the '79 Trans Am Testors One Coat Icy Blue last year and cleared it this year. It's been on hold while I debate what color to do the interior in. The '34 Ford Roadster Pickup is done in Testors One Coat Mystic Emerald. The '71 Hemi Cuda is done in Tamiya TS-34 Camel Yellow. The '78 Corvette is done in Tamiya TS-55 Dark Blue. The '62 Corvette is done in Tamiya TS-60 Pearl Green. Not shown is a '66 Shelby Mustang GT350 that is waiting to be primed and painted in Testors Burgundy Red Metallic Enamel.Hopefully I can get them all done, though I might start on the Truck sooner rather than later.

DSCN2777.JPG

DSCN2701.JPG

DSCN2753.JPG

DSCN2754.JPG

DSCN2766.JPG

10 hours ago, 66belair said:

I think I might need to do that this year. Paint a bunch of bodies so I can just build when it gets cold. Even though I live in the south they weather wasn’t that great this past winter.

Absolutely, one can't control the weather, and humidity plays a big factor also.

10 hours ago, 66belair said:

Forgot to ask, what color primer do you use under your light colored Tamiya paints and do you shoot them straight out of the can?

I bought a can of each, fine white and fine light gray, last year. I used the white on a '69 Camaro i finished earlier this year in TS-12 Orange and on the '78 Corvette because I was worried about the color being too dark even though it still turned out darker than I was going for. Because I ran out of white, I used the light gray for the yellow Cuda and pearl green '62 Corvette. The yellow did not cover the lt. gray very well so I will have to buy another can to finish, but I'm pretty happy with the results on the '62 Corvette. I shoot everything straight out of the can.

• 2 weeks later...

I like the way you think!! This is what I need to do, we have a 2 month window here.

And that's not all at once!!    A little here, a little there really!!!

Are you using a different frame under that 34 R/P? I have that kit,

and that slotcar chassis just don't look right to me!?!

David S.

Edited by mod3l Lover

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/13/2018 at 7:08 PM, mod3l Lover said:

I like the way you think!! This is what I need to do, we have a 2 month window here.

And that's not all at once!!    A little here, a little there really!!!

Are you using a different frame under that 34 R/P? I have that kit,

and that slotcar chassis just don't look right to me!?!

David S.

I'm using the frame that has the fenders and running boards molded onto it. It would be identical to the other frame included in the kit if the fenders and running boards were to be removed. Doesn't seem like there's much there for either frame, but it also seems like a cheaper kit so that might explain it. I just hope it goes together without too many issues. I hope to get started on it sometime next week, if I do I will post updates in the "On the Workbench" section.

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

20 hours ago, John Jacobs said:

I live in South Carolina and airbrush in my garage year round.  I had no idea cold weather had that much of an effect on painting.

I see that a lot of modelers can and will paint during the cold months in Northern U.S. and Canada, as they will spray the car and then immediately bring it back inside. However, for me to do that seems very tedious to take the body and parts outside, spray said items and then bring back inside a number of times until all the coats are sprayed on. I also have a wife and son that are sensitive to the smells of the paint and gives them headaches, so I spray in my shed and leave out there to dry, so temps in the 0's, teens, and twenty's :( would not be conducive to painting. Perhaps sometime in the future when I can obtain an airbrush, I can start using craft paints and solve my little problem. It also kind of sucks when I get some inspiration on a build and can't start it because it's too cold to paint. We'll also see if I actually get all of these built, too :D.

43 minutes ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I see that a lot of modelers can and will paint during the cold months in Northern U.S. and Canada, as they will spray the car and then immediately bring it back inside. However, for me to do that seems very tedious to take the body and parts outside, spray said items and then bring back inside a number of times until all the coats are sprayed on. I also have a wife and son that are sensitive to the smells of the paint and gives them headaches, so I spray in my shed and leave out there to dry, so temps in the 0's, teens, and twenty's :( would not be conducive to painting. Perhaps sometime in the future when I can obtain an airbrush, I can start using craft paints and solve my little problem. It also kind of sucks when I get some inspiration on a build and can't start it because it's too cold to paint. We'll also see if I actually get all of these built, too :D.

That makes sense.  Rattle-can paints can really stink up the place.  Seems like airbrushed parts have very little smell.  I just bring the parts back inside.

I dedicded to do the same this year although I can probably paint until early November outside.  I've shot about 12 bodies and may do a few more use in case I can actually build that many.  The main issue here in the summer is the humidity.  Spring and fall are the best time to paint.

Edited by vamach1

22 hours ago, John Jacobs said:

I live in South Carolina and airbrush in my garage year round.  I had no idea cold weather had that much of an effect on painting.

I'm in Florida, same situation. As it turns out, I'm getting ready to put some primer on an MPC '71 Pontiac Gran Prix tomorrow.

2 hours ago, vamach1 said:

I dedicded to do the same this year although I can probably paint until early November outside.  I've shot about 12 bodies and amy do a few more use in case I can actually build that many.  The main issue here in the summer is the humidity.  Spring and fall are the best time to paint.

Yeah, you guys in the south have to deal with high humidity quite a bit. I have the 5 of these ready to go plus I just added a '66 Shelby Mustang to the winter docket, although I have to strip and re-paint it after botching the paint last week. 12 is definitely a pretty lofty goal to get done.