Model Cars Magazine Forum

MPC 1974 - 77 Dodge Van Releases?

crowe-t

9 hours ago, crowe-t said:

Thanks Tom!  This is an awesome collection of pictures.  Now I just need to find one of these kits, preferably a 1974 - 77.

I feel your pain Michael..... I have been trying to find some and or parts to those for years myself.   I once owned a 75 Dodge factory custom van and my dad had a 72-75 window and cargo van...Id love to be able to make replicas of them for my family owned vehicle collection someday.   Hope you find the one you need.

• 3 weeks later...

I once had a 1978 Sportsman 300 long wheelbase window van with seats.  

The neat thing about this series of kits is that MPC faithfully updated changes each and every year.  I once was looking for a donor van for a project and pulled out a bunch of old built ups I had and realized that every single body was different.  Things like the tail lights, grill and even the roof ribs changed over the years.  

shortyfrontshortyrear1

I built this from one of my junkers.  I started off building a cube van and then went off on this tangent instead.

IMG 2756IMG 2757

The middle section that I chopped out of the pickup bounced around the model room for awhile.  It was a paint stand at one point.  I saw it one day and said, "Why not?"  and built this camper out of it.  I still have to finish it.

There were a lot of changes each year.  In 1978 the tail lights, marker lights, side/read window length, interior... changed but the nose stayed the same.  This was sort of an in-between year.  In 1979 the nose was squared off.

It seems in the various 1978 issues of this kit I've seen the interior has not been updated.  In order to build a correct '78 and interior from a 1979 or later kit needs to be used.

6 hours ago, crowe-t said:

There were a lot of changes each year.  In 1978 the tail lights, marker lights, side/read window length, interior... changed but the nose stayed the same.  This was sort of an in-between year.  In 1979 the nose was squared off.

It seems in the various 1978 issues of this kit I've seen the interior has not been updated.  In order to build a correct '78 and interior from a 1979 or later kit needs to be used.

True....My problem is I would need to find the older Tradesman or Sportsman vans so the body style is correct.  When they first came out I could not get my hands on enough of them.

21 hours ago, gray07 said:

love these vans, I have a 75 dodge van sitting in my yard, I was told it was in some 80s rock band video, the passenger side was stock, the drivers side had custom wheels and a big custom emblem/mural on it, I have it forsale

How about some pictures? Wish I was closer, would be interested in buying it.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...