Model Cars Magazine Forum

"Bring Out Your Dead" Completion Build--ROUND 2 Is On!

Snake45

21 hours ago, Snake45 said:

You can of course carry it over to the next round, BUT if you start with new bodies, it's no longer the 30-YO project and wouldn't be eligible for the BOYD build. :unsure:

Why? It’s still the project.. entire chassis, engine and interior are all 30 years old. I don’t see the difference between cutting the existing body in half to fix it or introducing some new parts?

Edit:  I think I just solved my wheelbase dilemma.. I will lengthen it using front half of the other kit’s chassis. That will either solve the issue or destroy both chassis!

Edited by Tom Geiger

Congratulations to those who have got their entries finished, great work guys! 👍

Talk about leaving things to the last minute! My Chevelle has sat in its box until last week when I thought I'd better do something so the dashboard got some detailing and the seats added to the interior.

51066413478_f55581738e_c.jpgDSCF2127 by timothy jones, on Flickr

51067121386_6d18603840_c.jpgDSCF2128 by timothy jones, on Flickr

By yesterday evening I had the detailing on the bumpers done.

51084430886_befceb7a66_c.jpgDSCF2131 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Today I superglued the interior tub into the body. While fitting the body to the chassis the driver's seat came loose and I had to refit it through the window, which turned out to be not too difficult. This is how it stands now.

50999509254_407e9debf1_c.jpgDSCF2132 by timothy jones, on Flickr

Not much left to do now so it should be done by tomorrow night.

Edited by TimJ

F553B08A-0BAB-4779-ACD4-679DACC565F0.jpeg.d37741be0a299f513e9fd007a7f21f3a.jpeg

Wheelbase needed 5 scale inches. Remember that this was my first attempt at slice and dice some 30 years ago. Here it is corrected.

69B259BC-42DD-446F-867A-B6A44917A12D.jpeg.2ead518621e0360524eb6eefa659a445.jpeg

Working with two chassis, I cut each chassis and added the 5” by cutting the front clip longer. Tough work since I didn’t notice the issue until I had all the suspension glued in place. Fortunately the front pieces were able to be wrestled free. I have parts in the spare kit if I had to assemble a new suspension set. 

CA340276-C7F6-4904-82AA-9EC100AA9B96.jpeg.991d4b17afdb7baaebd212fa274ba79b.jpeg

I was as careful as I could be to make sure my cuts were straight and at the proper spots. It should blend in fairly well. 

One long standing issue solved, on to the next one!

Edited by Tom Geiger

4 hours ago, NZanglia said:

Have you posted the trailer build on here anywhere? It something I seriously need to look at building myself.

This is the only pic I had posted. May have more on my laptop. I have also built an open race trailer for a dirt track IMCA modified that I scratch built.

1514990753908.jpg.bdf277ba5ec9a3329b598d7d3f1a8316.jpg

Couple quick pics of the Skylark. I see the grille/front bumper and rear bumper dislodged and slid down a bit while I was moving it around for pics. 

Also haven't done the small emblems/nameplates yet. I'll probably end up trying to dry-brush these with silver paint. But it's DONE ENOUGH for BOYD standards! ;)

66SkylarkB107.jpg.8293334ad8fe4dd0e977911edfb45a53.jpg

66SkylarkB110.jpg.748f2978c821a9c7cb0d3c34c9dcec31.jpg

66SkylarkB113.jpg.df1b3db3064c55be464402620da78a79.jpg

Do you ever get a really cool idea, then the rug is pulled out from under you when you realize you cant get the kits or if you can they are priced too high or Postage is extortionate?  I envy you guys in the states that seem to be able to get gluebombs and rebuilds and carboot / yard sales or swapmeets every other week ( or so it seems from the outside looking in ).

I was planning on taking a spare body casting of pic1.

Blend with either Pic 2 and or 3. ( way too exspenive and a total waste of a new kit just for parts at that price )

And finish with something like Pic 4

But Ill keep this project in mind.

ford-anglia.jpg

9109885651_842826b0e9_3k.jpg

REV-7197-3.jpg

31412595938_716ca01fcf_b.jpg

57 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Couple quick pics of the Skylark. I see the grille/front bumper and rear bumper dislodged and slid down a bit while I was moving it around for pics. 

Also haven't done the small emblems/nameplates yet. I'll probably end up trying to dry-brush these with silver paint. But it's DONE ENOUGH for BOYD standards! ;)

Nice work Snake! Glad you got the push you needed to get it finished.

7 minutes ago, NZanglia said:

And finish with something like Pic 4.................

31412595938_716ca01fcf_b.jpg

How strange to come on an American forum and see a photo posted by someone from NZ of a car that was built and is run by a local garage that I take my Datsuns to! I haven't see it running on the track but it's always a treat to see it (or their other toys) when I take my cars their for work. I'll have to mention that it's been of inspiration to you.

Nice work on the Skylark Snake.

The Chevelle is done. Why I left it in the box six years ago I don't know as once I got back to it I only needed a few days to finish it off.

51086655192_84bdba1607_c.jpgDSCF2136 by timothy jones, on Flickr

51001639919_9b154070b9_c.jpgDSCF2139 by timothy jones, on Flickr

51001641239_e34b240e39_c.jpgDSCF2140 by timothy jones, on Flickr

I hope we have enough for another round as I've still got plenty of candidates to choose from. 

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

Nice work Snake! Glad you got the push you needed to get it finished.

How strange to come on an American forum and see a photo posted by someone from NZ of a car that was built and is run by a local garage that I take my Datsuns to! I haven't see it running on the track but it's always a treat to see it (or their other toys) when I take my cars their for work. I'll have to mention that it's been of inspiration to you.

I wont take this any further off topic than it already is but when they its a small world. this time they weren't kidding. As an owner of a 64 Anglia i love these cars and was looking at perhaps building a hillclimb car but then I saw this image and that  was decision made. Next step to find a cheep Rouch IMSA Mustang kit for the suspension,wheels and chassis/rollcage to base it on. Going to be a curb side due to resin limitations.  Anyway back on topic.

Beautiful Chevelle TimJ

1 hour ago, TimJ said:

Nice work on the Skylark Snake.

The Chevelle is done. Why I left it in the box six years ago I don't know as once I got back to it I only needed a few days to finish it off.

51086655192_84bdba1607_c.jpgDSCF2136 by timothy jones, on Flickr

I hope we have enough for another round as I've still got plenty of candidates to choose from. 

Congratulations! SEVENTH COMPLETION GOTTER DONE! B)

37 minutes ago, ksnow said:

That chevelle is absolutely stunning.

What are the basic rules to enter a build? I have a few builds started 20 years ago that could use some inspiration to finish.

My Understanding is that the kit has to have been started but not finished and been collecting the proverbial dust for over a year without having been worked on ( Rebuilds/restorations/rescues/reconstructions of old built models don't count, UNLESS the re-work started over a year ago and was abandoned, same as any other project) . We have a 2 month period to Gitter Done, new Period starts tomorrow.  A further 2 month period extension maybe granted if you are not able to complete the build in time but NO MORE than 1 Extension is allowed

I think thats all. @Snake45 Can correct me if Im wrong.

Look forward to see what you have in mind.

4 minutes ago, NZanglia said:

My Understanding is that the kit has to have been started but not finished and been collecting the proverbial dust for over a year without having been worked on ( Rebuilds/restorations/rescues/reconstructions of old built models don't count, UNLESS the re-work started over a year ago and was abandoned, same as any other project) . We have a 2 month period to Gitter Done, new Period starts tomorrow.  A further 2 month period extension maybe granted if you are not able to complete the build in time but NO MORE than 1 Extension is allowed

I think thats all. @Snake45 Can correct me if Im wrong.

Look forward to see what you have in mind.

Excellent recap of the rules, except the builds run 3 months (90 days) not 2. Newcomers definitely welcome!B)

2 hours ago, ksnow said:

I have a few builds started 20 years ago that could use some inspiration to finish.

Go for it! I joined my first one last one summer and I've since managed to get something completed in all three rounds since then. All of them were started back in the 1990s, long overdue........

I'm going to have to skip at least the next round as I've run out of longstanding WIPs. Hopefully enough people sign up, I'll keep dropping by to see progress.