Model Cars Magazine Forum

Plymouth 383 auto.

I'm going to build a replica of a 69 GTX that a gearhead buddy from my teens drove. 

I'm wondering what kit has a good 383 with auto. trans. that would work in the AMT GTX kit.

I know I can use the 440 in the kit, but still need an auto. trans.

I'm thinking the 383 from the Lindburg 64 Dodge might work.

55 minutes ago, RichCostello said:

I'm wondering what kit has a good 383 with auto. trans. that would work in the AMT GTX kit.

Revell '69 Dodge Dart GTS, hands down. Pics of the parts here: http://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/14/25-revell-dodge-dart-gts

The same basic engine is found in the Revell '68 HEMI Dart kit, though it's now referred to as a "440 Magnum". Same engine parts as in the '69 Dart GTS kit:

image.png.4273d1430928eb81f7dbb80996276036.png 

10 minutes ago, Deuces said:

Same with the Revell '69 Charger kit... Blue with white vinyl top on the box art... Not sure if the trans length is the same for both kits...

????

The Revell '69 Charger kit does include a separate bellhousing/transmission, but the trans is an A-833 4-speed manual, not an A-727 automatic.

Just got this today, 440 with an automatic from the AMT 71 Dodge Charger kit. Yes ugly car, but this is gonna be my top pick for this engine series. The horizontal ribs on the side give it a later generation but imagine most people won't be that picky for use in a 69.

20181116_203426[1].jpg

18 hours ago, ScottH454 said:

Just got this today, 440 with an automatic from the AMT 71 Dodge Charger kit. Yes ugly car, but this is gonna be my top pick for this engine series. The horizontal ribs on the side give it a later generation but imagine most people won't be that picky for use in a 69.

20181116_203426[1].jpg

just an fyi, ( if it matters to you )

the air cleaner and valve covers are all wrong for a 1969

Also, unless the real car had an engine swap the GTX didn't come with a 383. Either the 440 or hemi only. The GTX was Plymouth's top end muscle car.  The 383 was available in Roadrunners and Satellites, as well as other Plymouth cars of various sizes. Not that it really matters in scale. It is just something to be aware of when painting and applying engine decals.

Two 1969 model year 440-HP engines :

1969-plymouth-440-super-commando-001.jpg.40251227c6de038e4b1fb0941a3191a4.jpg

This one represents an engine with the N97 Noise Reduction Package ( e.g. , the dual snorkel air cleaner versus the unsilenced air cleaner of the following... )

440-magnum-engine.jpg.74bab9e4db45ca368458de13cd84b602.jpg

This includes a better shot of the different rocker covers ( colloq. , "valve covers" ) versus the 1970 & later arrangement . Also note that this is a 'Magnum' ; that's Dodge's name for their high performance 383 and 440 engines . Plymouth called theirs , "Super Commando" ( and 'Road Runner Engine' for the 1968-1971 383 ) .

The rocker covers changed for 1970 due to then-new evapourative emissions standards . That's why the ones on the AMT 1971 Charger's 440 Magnum's rocker covers are incorrect for 1969 & earlier ; same goes for the air cleaner assembly ( though it could provide a basis for a Noise Reduction Package air cleaner ) . 

4 hours ago, larman said:

Also, unless the real car had an engine swap the GTX didn't come with a 383. Either the 440 or hemi only. The GTX was Plymouth's top end muscle car.  The 383 was available in Roadrunners and Satellites, as well as other Plymouth cars of various sizes. Not that it really matters in scale. It is just something to be aware of when painting and applying engine decals.

Yep, engine swap, was originally a hemi car. I found the car for him, it belonged to a guy who was a big drag car builder, and racer who had done some engine work on my 69 Super Bee. He had used the hemi in one of his drag cars, and replaced it with the 383.

That GTX was a beautiful car, and kind of rare because it was ivy green with a white vinyl top, and most ivy green GTXs had black vinyl tops. No matter what he did to that car, he could never get it to run like my Super Bee.

21 hours ago, gtx6970 said:

just an fyi, ( if it matters to you )

the air cleaner and valve covers are all wrong for a 1969

No not at this point, I have plenty of options to pick an assemble a more detailed an correct engine kit. From what I was reading the horizontal rib was the only difference in the years of blocks. The intake an valve covers from this kit have an unrealistic texture on them so wouldn't be used.
I have a few images of what I am working on for a better 440 and to get you guys a better transmission. I have this trans cleaned up an shaved the molded in wires on the one side, also pre-drilled holes for realism. The engine top has the rib detail at the back of the block that I will mold into the 71 Charger block an heck maybe even try for the lifter valley.

IMG_0442t.jpg

IMG_0443t.jpg

IMG_0446t.jpg