Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Chevelle molding removal AMT

I wouldn't do it with sandpaper either. I've done two of them with files, and another one by cutting it, either with a razor saw or Xacto, I don't remember each. In either case, I cut the top line at a slight downward angle, and the bottom edge of the thing upward, until the two cuts met and the molding fell off. 

Here's how it looks when done. 

69ChevelleC06.jpg.4f8e2071712daf0e57306935e435b60b.jpg

69ChevelleC07.jpg.268d6e26b4d392a96a06663cdf4b4c95.jpg

69ChevelleC09.jpg.f1eb53074a8bbb8aa5489514daadae53.jpg

^^^   Yup, definitely the way to go, especially if you're not used to doing this kind of work.

DO NOT USE SANDPAPER TO REMOVE DETAILS LIKE SIDE TRIM, at least in the beginning.

Why? Because unsupported sandpaper will not only remove the high bits you're trying to get rid of, but while it's cutting, it will seriously damage the surrounding areas (at least it will if you use sandpaper that's coarse enough to do anything to the side trim in reasonable time).

Use files. Sanding sticks are OK, but you'll really get a cleaner job with files. Knowing how to use files is a very important modeling skill to have. Used correctly, files will take only the trim off, just down to the level of the surrounding area, without putting heavy sand-scratches in places where you'll end up either having to fill or sand away too much to correct, risking wavy panels.

Another way to remove side trim without causing a lot of grief from additional sanding damage is to use chisel-tip X-Acto blades, held perpendicular to the surface. They come in two widths, about 1/4" and 1/2", so you can get into most areas with them. The technique is to "scrape" the trim down to the level of the rest of the panel, as mentioned above.

NOTE: Trying to use them as chisels held at a shallow angle to "shave" off side trim is very risky unless you're VERY familiar with working with them. Deep gouges often result.

Narrow:  image.jpeg.a062a58e2c904f74f97b93e2d01f3656.jpeg   Wide:   image.jpeg.25680db6f4f23c3389ad9031aa8d1ffc.jpeg

After you have your panels nice and flat, THEN use sandpaper ON A BLOCK, or fine sanding sticks, to do your finish "metal work".