Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell '78 GMC 4wd-to-2wd conversion?

While not technically correct, you might want to look into the 1/25 Revell Chevy Caprice/Impala SS front suspension parts. Some were shared with the GM M-Vans (Astro/Safari), so while technically not correct for the '73-'86 GM pickups, they are a bit larger being from a full-size car, and would probably be more proportionate than 1/25 scale GM pickup or van kit parts.

Edited by Casey

The AMT Rescue van is correct, the 64-66 Chevy C10 would also be a good donor.

For the Rescue van, the upper arms will have to be cut off the frame, but the rest is not bad. I am converting one of my vans to a 4X4 so I will be cutting it off. Let me know if you need it. Be aware, it is 1/25 scale.

IMG_3695.jpg

Edited by Oldmopars

22 hours ago, Can-Con said:

The old Monogram Chevy wans were 1/24. Last seen in a Revell box. 

I didn't mention that option because it was mentioned in the topic I linked to, but it is a good option for keeping everything 1/24 scale:

Monogram2234NFCVan2.jpg.f2b78b76be9bedbcdf4ab0a7eddd014a.jpg

One thing to be aware of if you decide to go that route, Jordan-- the van upper control arms are different lengths/widths, as the van frame is offset to the right side.

1 hour ago, Oldmopars said:

The AMT Rescue van is correct, the 64-66 Chevy C10 would also be a good donor.

Again, all are 1/25 scale, and I have my doubts they would look right on a 1/24 scale frame. Usually 1/24 can be sapped over to 1/25 and not look too out of place, but the other way around doesn't usually work too well. Plus, the AMT Chevy van UCAs are blocky and thick-- not great options IMHO.

Edited by Casey

On 12/27/2018 at 2:14 PM, Casey said:

I didn't mention that option because it was mentioned in the topic I linked to, but it is a good option for keeping everything 1/24 scale:

Monogram2234NFCVan2.jpg.f2b78b76be9bedbcdf4ab0a7eddd014a.jpg

One thing to be aware of if you decide to go that route, Jordan-- the van upper control arms are different lengths/widths, as the van frame is offset to the right side.

I will have to look at doing this, have an unbuilt kit as well as an older build that I could scavenge parts from. 

Question for you: are either one of the upper control arms usable for both sides or will one have to create new UCAs?

• 4 weeks later...