Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint recommendation

The military section is a great source for upholstery colours.  They have a who range of not quite whites that are ideal for making a more authentic looking convertible top.   If you don't mind a little polishing,  the Sky Type S that the British used for the underside of their planes is a good match for the light gray green found on some early postwar cars.

Dan,

I like that British Crimson. That looks like what I'll be going with.

Richard,

I should clarify. I have used some military colors in the past for some of my projects. I painted the interior of my 65 Mustang in a two tone grey and Blue Angels blue. I also just bought a couple of bottles the other day of a military metallic light blue and a bottle of a pale grey/blue. They were on clearance for $1 a bottle. I don't remember what the colors were, at the moment, but the metallic reminded me of Pontiac engine blue.

Thanks again for the help guys.

Later-

EASTWOOD that offer car restoration supplies has some really good interior paints for 1:1 cars that are really plastic friendly and work great even without primer as I've been using this stuff for a few years now and likin' it very much. The brand name is SEM and is offered in a variety of colors. I have a couple cans and so does a friend of mine, so we often share when the need arises and that way have more colors available between us.

Depending on the shade of Red you're after, I have used Tamiya TS-86 Pure Red with a dust coat of flat after the Red has dried. This looks much like a brighter red vinyl or leather interior you would find in many cars. I have also used their TS-33 Dull Red that would give you a darker Red going toward a Maroon.