Model Cars Magazine Forum

Me? Doing a Ford? Nahhh!!!! Really? (LeMans Ford GT)

ismaelg

Hello,   Body with all glass ready to meet the chassis before a million other little things still pending. 

2v2E6YCLdxJ21ND.jpg

2v2E6YCW5xJ21ND.jpg

First try to mate body and chassis did not fit despite a gazillion test fit sessions. :(

Put it down to look at it later.

Thanks,

Wow, great looking build, I love the extra detail you added to the chassis, it is a shame that it really isn't visible once assembled, but like you said, you know, and now we know, it is under there.  I have been also working on a Ford GT, the difference is I am doing mine as a newer 2019 Daytona version.  Number 67 is the Castrol "throwback" livery.  The decals are from Studio 27, and are a pleasure to apply.  Not to invade your post, but here is the body with about 90% of the decals applied.b-PVaBnh2d2mOXPX17hXRmDJI4XhO3qiHYBCU4g- 2LYuQnVByIS-zXazcwLyEHlLWaDU8Nc2fCnQ_GnNThe only reall changes I did to the body are all the molded on screens have been cut out and replaced with scale screens, I figured since they are viable they needed to be corrected, The body, once decaled completely needs a minor clean up and it can mate to the chassis, and yes, there are a few issues with the mating of the two main components, but it will go together with a little friendly persuasion.

Thanks guys!

Peter,  That is looking great! The Motorcraft livery they ran at Daytona this year is my favorite, followed by the Castrol you are doing.  The cars also looked good in white during practice.  I'm not a big fan of the usual red white and blue scheme I'm doing but that's what history threw at me as the LeMans class winner.  :) 

Thanks,

Thanks Ismael, I agree with you on all points.  The Castrol decals were from Studio 27, which as I said are a pleasure to apply.  I see that Slotfabrik does both cars including the motorcraft livery. fordgtdaytona2019n66.png I may get around to doing that car too since I don't think I will stop at only one or two GT's.  I much prefer the updated red, white and blue version of the car done with metallic red and blue, so the next GT I have on order from HLJ will get that treatment rather than the Le Mans winning livery.  Regardless, your build is looking great, as usual for your builds.

I just saw that Studio 27 will be releasing the Motorcraft decal sheet, the same time they release the photo etch sheet (looks like the brake rotors and intake screens make up the bulk of the sheet) which is scheduled for April

15th.  Looks like I will be doing at least 4 of these cars now........Oh yeah, I see that Slotfabrik also has the white practice version decal sheets available since you mentioned it.

Racing Decals 43 makes both of the "retro" Daytona liveries as well as a C/F decals sheet, and are the only ones actually approved by Ganassi Racing if that sorta thing appeals to your concious. Frankly I wouldn't go near anything made by Slotfabrik with a 10ft pole, they're notoriously awful decals to work with and usually have a plethora of errors and aren't actually designed to fit anything in particular.

I recall a respected friend recently telling me that they were just going to build a couple of these Ford GT cars as basic as possible. I guess that must not have been you my friend. For a basic build it's looking mighty fine.