Model Cars Magazine Forum

Loadcraft LS3-40-S

Ok,being the son of a trucker i should know this, but can anyone helpa modeler out and explain/show me how a Loadcraft LS3-40-S is hooked up to the tractor.

I am doing the AMT Etrl Lowboy trailer and was curious when i noticed no landing wheel/pads on the trailer then after a google image search i found a few similar trailers parked nose on the ground and wondered how the trailer is hooked to the truck.

:unsure:loadcraftls3.jpg.a292f82f8f1f75b510b70c9ff610c010.jpg

56 minutes ago, Spruslayer said:

Ok,being the son of a trucker i should know this, but can anyone helpa modeler out and explain/show me how a Loadcraft LS3-40-S is hooked up to the tractor.

I am doing the AMT Etrl Lowboy trailer and was curious when i noticed no landing wheel/pads on the trailer then after a google image search i found a few similar trailers parked nose on the ground and wondered how the trailer is hooked to the truck.

:unsure:loadcraftls3.jpg.a292f82f8f1f75b510b70c9ff610c010.jpg

The ones I know of were winched up onto the fifth wheel.

• 2 weeks later...

The above posters are correct, it's done with an assist from some lifting equipment or with a tractor that is equipped with a winch, and a tapered tail on the tractor to allow it to smoothly run up to the fifth wheel. The company I used to work for had a similar lowboy that they pulled with a tractor that had height adjustable rear suspension and they would lower the front of the trailer onto blocks, then pull away from it. Only problem was that if that tractor wasn't used the next time, they had to raise it or winch it.

My brother-in-law drives a Volvo for Airgas.  He says their tankers also have no landing gear - supposedly to save weight used to haul more product.  If they ever drop a tanker they have to have a special dolly available to hold up the front end.