Model Cars Magazine Forum

Jeep Grand Cherokee

Sometimes the model talks to you....

This is the Lindberg 1/20 Grand Cherokee model molded in red.  I was determined to paint this model white, to replicate my son's 1:1 Grand Cherokee.  I knew the red bleed-through was going to be a problem.  I tried 3 different primers  - Testors Aluminum Plate, Mr. White Surfacer, and Rustoleum Gray.  The model always came out pink when I put the final coat of white primer on it.  Someone in my local club even suggested that I should probably paint the 1:1 car red, it might be easier, but I wouldn't give up.  So it sat for a month while both the model and myself were too stubborn to give in.  Then it came to me - MUD!  Why waste good gloss top coat anyways?  This is the result.  It's painted with Rustoleum gray primer, Mr. Surfacer white primer, and Model Master acrylic dark brown.  The mud is splattered on by snapping a paint brush.  I used some artist's texture to give the mud some depth, but tried not to overdo it.  This is my first time doing mud.  Comments and constructive criticism are welcome.

5c6b435119541_leftside.jpg.1a3b9354a26a0843c9322468ccd25367.jpg

5c6b435c91234_rightside.jpg.55cc696cc8f6e81935197d065f3f7a85.jpg

rear.jpg.6afbebacda19c6d73fb14abdce38e527.jpg

5c6b438994963_rearwheel.jpg.bd8c4aefc586c1b5819490eb19e297a7.jpg

engine.jpg.86f0318d2462ead47936a58caca5ed1f.jpg

41 minutes ago, Steamboat said:

I wish someone had done a Cherokee XJ.  Jeep made almost 4 million of the 1:1 vehicle, but nobody makes a model?

Yeah, it's too bad..never kitted...diecast in various scales, but none in 1/24th or 1/25th as far as I know.   

I'd love to see some of the later Grand Cherokees kitted also..having owned two in 1:1 (an '00 and a '14). 

Edited by Rob Hall

11 hours ago, iamsuperdan said:

Tamiya do a 1/24 version. They're all over EBay, but can sometimes be pricey.

Yea, I want to get one when I find one that isn't too pricey, or hasn't been opened up and started.

10 hours ago, Steamboat said:

I wish someone had done a Cherokee XJ.  Jeep made almost 4 million of the 1:1 vehicle, but nobody makes a model?

This!!!  I hope some executive from a model company sees this and realizes the market potential for an xj. It would be huge. The customization possibilities are endless.

Jeff