Model Cars Magazine Forum

First detailed look -- Round 2's 1978 Dodge D100 LWB 4x2 Sweptside

tim boyd

Thanks for the photos , Tim !  The new 'caps are markedly different , post-prima-fascie . They appear to *almost* have a flatter surface , closer to the "1:1" versions . 

The perimetre details are more like simulated fins , just as the 1969-c.1975 versions have .

Those police / taxi hub caps in the MPC 1977-1978 Monaco have never been correct ( I won't mention those ridiculously-deep-offset wheels... ) ; but , given the time in which they were tooled (1977 for the "440 Force") , they're not too bad . Now , if only Round2 could see to it to retire (no pun intended) the woefully incorrect rolling stock in the Monaco , and replace them with the D-100's setup...

1 hour ago, martinfan5 said:

Can those steelies be used on the MPC Bad Company 82 van?(period correct)

Absolutely . Though the stock wheel covers in that kit are quite to my liking as well . But , yes , those steelies / hub caps would be perfect for a stripp-o model (think : telephone utility vehicle !) 

2 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

Absolutely . Though the stock wheel covers in that kit are quite to my liking as well . But , yes , those steelies / hub caps would be perfect for a stripp-o model (think : telephone utility vehicle !) 

Thank you very much for the info John,  I would probably build it as some sort of utility/commercial vehicle .

...and visual proof/confirmation (again) of prior kits with the mini-bike....as several of you identified the Rupp mini-bike in the new MPC D100 kit as having come from the MPC 1976 (faux) B-Body Road Runner/1977 Dodge Monaco/1978 Dodge Monaco annual kits.

I had an MPC 1977 annual kit in my storage unit, so I pulled it out to compare with the new D100 kit....

DSC 0460

….and in these box art side views, you can clearly see that the D100 kit mini-bike (here at the top center) is the same as the 1977 MPC Dodge Annual kit mini-bike (here at the bottom left). Proof positive...and thanks again guys for the feedback/direction....TIM

DSC 0459

Edited by tim boyd

Something not quite right...  It's not a huge detail , but it nevertheless stood out to me as a glaring omission : There's NO fuel cap !  I didn't notice until I watched Chris' review / build video last night ; got me thinking , Did the original Sweptside annuals have a fuel cap ?  

Part # 105 on the old chrome shot. I of course do not have a copy of the new model yet, but I'd say the gas cap is probably still there, maybe the hole in the cab is flashed over. See the link to the instructions for the original 1978 Annual 4x4...

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/dodge/1971-1980/mpc-new-dodge-picku/1978dodgew150pickup-8.html

Edited by CapSat 6

2 hours ago, 1972coronet said:

Something not quite right...  It's not a huge detail , but it nevertheless stood out to me as a glaring omission : There's NO fuel cap !  I didn't notice until I watched Chris' review / build video last night ; got me thinking , Did the original Sweptside annuals have a fuel cap ?  

Part # 105 on the old chrome shot. I of course do not have a copy of the new model yet, but I'd say the gas cap is probably still there, maybe the hole in the cab is flashed over. See the link to the instructions for the original 1978 Annual 4x4...

https://public.fotki.com/drasticplasticsmcc/mkiba-build-under-c/mpc-instructions/automotive-cars--pi/dodge/1971-1980/mpc-new-dodge-picku/1978dodgew150pickup-8.html

On 3/31/2019 at 4:19 PM, tim boyd said:

...and visual proof/confirmation (again) of prior kits with the mini-bike....as several of you identified the Rupp mini-bike in the new MPC D100 kit as having come from the MPC 1976 (faux) B-Body Road Runner/1977 Dodge Monaco/1978 Dodge Monaco annual kits.

I had an MPC 1977 annual kit in my storage unit, so I pulled it out to compare with the new D100 kit....

DSC 0460

….and in these box art side views, you can clearly see that the D100 kit mini-bike (here at the top center) is the same as the 1977 MPC Dodge Annual kit mini-bike (here at the bottom left). Proof positive...and thanks again guys for the feedback/direction....TIM

DSC 0459

Tim, if you are tired of storing that old MPC Dodge 2dr., just sent it to me.......:rolleyes:

The attached image is from Tim Boyd's review of the new kit.  I have attached a cropped image of the chrome tree showing the gas cap just to the lower right of the grille which is where it has been for a number of decades since the old MPC days.

DSC_0426-vi.jpg.15a3231784f250c56d448d6499424a9e.jpg.

Edited by maxwell48098

10 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Thanks much for the link and the info. It would appear that the fuel cap's location is "outdated" , as the trucks' fuel tank is mounted on the left-side of the chassis ,  bedside . If I remember correctly , 1972 model year was the last year for in-cab fuel tanks (at least for Light Duty trucks) . Nevertheless --- I'll just fab one up or mount the kit's part in its 'proper' location .

I'm just happy to see this kit ! The fuel cap deal is small apples . 

1 hour ago, 1972coronet said:

Thanks much for the link and the info. It would appear that the fuel cap's location is "outdated" , as the trucks' fuel tank is mounted on the left-side of the chassis ,  bedside . If I remember correctly , 1972 model year was the last year for in-cab fuel tanks (at least for Light Duty trucks) . Nevertheless --- I'll just fab one up or mount the kit's part in its 'proper' location .

I'm just happy to see this kit ! The fuel cap deal is small apples . 

Maybe that’s why they left it off of the new instructions. I guess an enterprising builder can just cut the cap out of the quarter panel on the MPC “Supercharger” ‘74 Charger (which does not belong there...)... ;)

13 hours ago, CapSat 6 said:

Maybe that’s why they left it off of the new instructions. I guess an enterprising builder can just cut the cap out of the quarter panel on the MPC “Supercharger” ‘74 Charger (which does not belong there...)... ;)

Actually...the fuel filler cap is on the instructions.  Image attached below from my original post which includes all pages of the instruction sheet.  Now, as to whether that is produce correct for 1978, I'l leave that to the 1/1 scale Dodge Pickup experts!  :) 

DSC 0438

14 minutes ago, tim boyd said:

Actually...the fuel filler cap is on the instructions.  Image attached below from my original post which includes all pages of the instruction sheet.  Now, as to whether that is produce correct for 1978, I'l leave that to the 1/1 scale Dodge Pickup experts!  :) 

DSC 0438

I missed that- I was looking at the panels for the cab assembly in the instructions. They show the cap going on the right place on the bedside. It does seem that Round 2 looked this one over pretty carefully when they developed this new release!   

Most certainly Round2 will have a hit on their hands with this one ! I owned a 77 Macho PowerWagon so this is huge for me ! The missing 4x4 parts are of no consequence since the original MPC stuff was not correct at all . Be nice if they tooled up fresh parts for it , definitely it will sell! Many varieties of this truck can be done , thanks Round2