Model Cars Magazine Forum

Here's a fun little resin piece that I picked up - I figured it would be fun to show the steps I'm doing to paint this...despite it only being one piece there's gonna be a decent amount of work in getting this painted really nicely I think!

There's also going to be a lot of waiting for paint to dry so this won't be the most action packed thread, but I did the first couple of steps at least so here goes...

First up, I gave this thing a GOOD wash with some Dawn dishsoap.  There's a lot of little nooks and crannies for mold release to get stuck in and I didn't want any surprises when it came to painting and masking this thing.  Then, I shot with some Walmart grey primer, checked and cleaned a couple of little mold separation lines and so on and then shot with Createx white sealer as a base color:

2v2EYtTw2xue8Lf.jpg

Next, I thinned down some Createx opaque black (that stuff seems to take forever to dry if you don't), and added some shadow detail in the places where shadow would naturally fall:

2v2EYtTpzxue8Lf.jpg

And on the back too!

2v2EYtT1Mxue8Lf.jpg

As you can see, there's a tonne of little details that you can give some attention to on this - the skull guy's tongue hanging out, the hand's nails, the various rings, the stitches on the hand...lots of detail to mess with!  It's a really nicely done piece!

Once the black had dried, I thinned out some clear yellow and built up at bone-color tint to the skull.  The clear yellow will allow the black shading to show through still, but I also like to build up the yellow some more in the darker areas and leave it a little lighter in the high spots:

2v2EYtWVuxue8Lf.jpg

I'm not worried about getting some yellow on the hand at this point - the entire skull part will be masked off when I'm done with it so I can paint the hand separately...I think the hand is going to be a creepy Frankenstein green of some shade perhaps? 

Anyway... more soon, hope this wasn't boring so far!

This is a very interesting project. Not something I would attempt but you are off to a good start. I look forward to seeing your progress.

If you don't mind my asking, what airbrush are you using for this?

• 1 month later...

Thanks for all the nice comments everyone!  It's a fun little painting project!

On 4/6/2019 at 8:52 PM, DPNM said:

This is a very interesting project. Not something I would attempt but you are off to a good start. I look forward to seeing your progress.

If you don't mind my asking, what airbrush are you using for this?

Just a regular $10 no-name gravity feed one from Chinese eBay, with my cheapie $50 Amazon compressor - nothing fancy!

Did a little more on this today - shot the monster hand with some Createx pearl purple (after some 'fun' masking...):

2v2Ei5TqWxue8Lf.jpg
2v2Ei5TMWxue8Lf.jpg

Then hit it with some Createx pearl blue:

2v2Ei5SaSxue8Lf.jpg

And finally, a little mist of Createx lime green pearl to make it look a little rotten at the bottom:

2v2Ei5SRnxue8Lf.jpg

More soon!