Model Cars Magazine Forum

Anyone convert a Revell W900 Aerodyne to a day cab?

I picked up a Revell W900 and was looking to see if anyone has converted one of these to a Day cab. I know that the tow truck version is a day cab, But is it even the same kit base? Anyway, I really like this W900 and it seems I could convert it, but was hoping to see some others that have been done. Both this sites search and Google did not return anything useful.

which revell kit? i've converted several snap kits,should b the same on all of them.  just have cut out aerodyne portion and build a new roof and rear panel. cant get pics up rite now.( candhtruck>inventory>salvage yard>kenworth ) has a lot of roof and rear cab pics, some of the best reference pics i've found

Edited by signguy2108
left out important word

Thanks, that looks good. I want to replicate some trucks used here locally during the fruit harvest season. Mainly I want to replicate the trailer, but it needs to be pulled by some kind of reasonable modern, but not too new day cab. Most are Internationals, but the right trucks are not in kit form and I just can't afford all it would take to do one of the resin cabs out there.

On 5/13/2019 at 5:37 PM, Oldmopars said:

I picked up a Revell W900 and was looking to see if anyone has converted one of these to a Day cab. I know that the tow truck version is a day cab, But is it even the same kit base? Anyway, I really like this W900 and it seems I could convert it, but was hoping to see some others that have been done. Both this sites search and Google did not return anything useful.

Since no one answered the second part of your question, no the Revell wrecker is not the same base kit, it is based from the Revell of Germany W900 which share nothing with the ex-Monogram Aerodyne snap kit. 

58659.jpg.bf726571fb6cf8e04ebb8c122bea66d9.jpg

Another alternative to hacking and cutting the Aerodyne snap kit would be AMT's KW reissued a couple of years ago. It has the back window cutout and even has a piece of "glass" on the clear sprue, so a day cab conversion is as simple as not putting the sleeper on. 

AMT1021-2.jpg.eae2ac3f15beb7e3eb09eb25b55ec51b.jpg 

No Jeff, scratchbuilt roof and back panel, cut out the v shaped part of the roof and sleeper, heated and formed a new roof panel, It had a headache rack on it, but i took it off for the pics.thatma and thanks for finishing the question Matthew

22 hours ago, highway said:

Since no one answered the second part of your question, no the Revell wrecker is not the same base kit, it is based from the Revell of Germany W900 which share nothing with the ex-Monogram Aerodyne snap kit. 

58659.jpg.bf726571fb6cf8e04ebb8c122bea66d9.jpg

Another alternative to hacking and cutting the Aerodyne snap kit would be AMT's KW reissued a couple of years ago. It has the back window cutout and even has a piece of "glass" on the clear sprue, so a day cab conversion is as simple as not putting the sleeper on. 

AMT1021-2.jpg.eae2ac3f15beb7e3eb09eb25b55ec51b.jpg 

Well, yes & no.  The Revell of Germany is a 1973-82 W900 while the AMT is a 1968-72 W900.  There are differences in the cabs.  I'm pretty sure Gary Wallace makes a daycab rear panel for the Revell of Germany W900.  You might even be able to use his panel for the Revell USA W900 Aerodyne.

I think it was a few years ago it was out.
I got lucky on ebay last year and got one at a reasonable price from ebays german site. (.de instead of .com)
I did a quick look now and only saw one for sale that the seller only wanted bids for starting at $85...
But if you go to their german site you will finde more at a more normal price but i dont know how much the shipping and customs will be for you.