Model Cars Magazine Forum

Kaufman Falcon Tribute

zakdoggi

12 hours ago, afx said:

Stance looks great.

Thanks JC ?

12 hours ago, alan barton said:

Really enjoying this build Geoff.  The printed discs are sheer genius - I am going to have to try that one on my next build!

Cheers

Alan

Thanks Alan,

Next time I'll use photo paper for the discs as the plain paper became a bit fragile during the detailing process. Otherwise, I like to use photo representations of the real components wherever possible. Keep an eye out for the dashboard unit when I get to it.

Cheers...... Geoff

• 2 weeks later...

At the bench today working on my other project, the Chevy Nova, so got a couple of bits done for the Falcon too.

Using photo-reduced images of the Racepak dashboard unit and the MSD ignition module, I glued them to plastic sheet.

Pics show finished Racepak unit and the MSD module tops glued onto 5 layers of 0.5mm sheets to make the 2.5 inch scale thickness of the unit. Next session, I'll cut around the edges, then paint the units red and add the wiring harnesses.

As always, comments most welcome.

Cheers for now...... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Edited by zakdoggi

• 4 weeks later...

In my haste to get some primer on the Falcon today, I forgot to wash the resin body and the results are evident!! Darn it! Out with the stripper!!

Anyhow, I did manage to paint the fuel cell (made from thick paper card), the chassis plate and get a top coat on the interior. Color is Gloss Antique White USA from a Dulux dura max enamel rattle can. This will be the body color too.

At least some more progress while the weather outside is cold and wet ?

Cheers..... Geoff

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• 11 months later...

Well it's been over 12 months since I last posted and the Kaufman Falcon is still under construction.

It's been a rollercoaster ride this past year and finally I have the headspace in this very different world to get back into modeling. In a lockdown situation here in the State of Victoria, Australia. Can't go any further than 5km from home for anything and then only for an hour of shopping or exercise.

So, what better way than to pass time at the hobby bench workiing on my projects.

Will post some progress pics soon.

Cheers......Geoff

Edited by zakdoggi

Got some paint on the interior and rollcage.

Installed the MSD pack behind seat and wired it in. Added the switch panel and shifter. Note the Racepak dash unit and black shrink tube on the rollcage as padding.

Added aluminium tube exhaust ends and fabbed the red fuel cell out of sheet styrene. The straps are black chart tape.

Painted the body in Antique White straight from the can. Noticed I've been a bit heavy-handed with the paint in a few spots..... will need to break out the sandpaper once it dries completely.

That's it for today guys. As always comments and feedback welcome.

Cheers....Geoff

20200803_150004.jpg

20200803_150012.jpg

20200803_150022.jpg

20200803_150043.jpg

20200803_172813.jpg

20200803_172826.jpg

Well I never thought I'd get this close to finishing this one.

Mock-up day to check stance and looks.

Needs from and rear bumpers, grille and glasshouse to complete. Neasrly there!!

Cheers.....Geoff

IMG_2120.JPG

IMG_2121.JPG

IMG_2122.JPG

Edited by zakdoggi
photos

Well it's been a rainy day outside which meant some time at the workbench.

Everything is done aside from fitting the glasshouse in.  I'm using blister pack clear plastic for the side windows (flat) and Pepsi bottle for the front and rear screens (curved).

Ecstatic at how the NASCAR kit fitted the resin body shell perfectly like it was made for it.

A few imperfections in the paint but hey it all adds to the build. Happy with interior details and the disc brakes and calipers. They really set the wheels off.

I think I've done justice to the real car too, even though this was never built as an exact replica but more of a theme.

As always, your comments are most welcome.

Cheers....Geoffspacer.png

IMG_2123.JPG

IMG_2124.JPG

IMG_2141.JPG

IMG_2140.JPG

IMG_2139.JPG

IMG_2136.JPG

IMG_2131.JPG

IMG_2130.JPG

IMG_2132.JPG

IMG_2128.JPG

IMG_2129.JPG

Edited by zakdoggi

It's been raining all night and all day so I'm ensconsed away in the cave working on my models.

Setting up the glasshouse in the Falcon - front and rear screens and side windows cut from blister packaging for the flat pieces and the side of a Pepsi 2lt bottle for the curved screens.

Tacked in place with superglue then a bead of PVA run in to secure all around.

Cheers.....Geoff

IMG_2158.JPG

IMG_2159.JPG