Model Cars Magazine Forum

1969 Ford Mustang Boss 302

mrmike

My new project for the Classic Plastic Model Club Club Challenge.  The '69 Mustang Boss 302!   My paint will be Testors GTS Blue Pearl, but that may change.  I have Tamiya TS-86 Pure Red that I may use or several other blue paints at my disposal.  

More to come...

Boss30201.JPG

Boss30202.JPG

Boss30203.JPG

• Like 1

Code

1969 Colors

Quantity
9 Bright Yellow     9F02G189049 649
3 Calypso Coral (Vermillion)  9F02G208094 410
6 Acapulco Blue    9F02G222453 375
M Wimbledon White    621thumb.jpg (51574 bytes) 194

Total

I order Acapulco Blue from Sclefinishes for mine, this morning. Do post pictures of yours, when you get it finished.

Tonight I decided to get the engine partially assembled in prep for paint.  I displayed the intake manifold on top of the engine without any glue.  It will be painted aluminium.  The 302 CID engine with the sprue containing the other parts that'll need painting on the sprue.

More to come...

Boss30204.JPG

Boss30205.JPG

Boss30206.JPG

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Those engine stands come in real handy when you need something to place the engine on.  Without an engine stand, they don't sit right.

I have done a little work on the Boss 302.  The engine is mostly assembled and partially painted.  I added some Detailer to the carb to bring out some detail.  I'll paint the transmission before it is installed in the chassis.

More to come...

Boss30207.JPG

Boss30208.JPG

Boss30209.JPG

• Like 1

It seems as if I am changing my mind a lot lately.  I wanted Acapulco Blue, but Testors no longer makes it and I don't want to order any paint from an outside source like MCW or ScaleFinishes.  I stopped at my LHS and got a can of Tamiya TS-89 Pearl Blue.  Should look good!

Boss30202.JPG

• Like 1

I had the paintbooth fired up again this afternoon and I decided to paint the chassis and the bottom of the interior tub with some Bright Touch Red Oxide Primer.  I'll give this a chance to dry overnight and paint the edges with Tamiya TS-89 Pearl Blue.

More to come...

Boss30210.JPG

Boss30211.JPG

Boss30212.JPG

• Like 1

Lookin' Good Mike!  Very nice overspray on the chassis! B)

On 6/24/2019 at 10:03 AM, mrmike said:

Those engine stands come in real handy when you need something to place the engine on.  Without an engine stand, they don't sit right.

Hey which kits had those AMT engine stands? I may have one on hand if it's in a certain kit and I can dig one out.

Thanks Bill!  I was told by Doug Estabrooks, a New England modeler, about the overspray trick by holding a piece of cardboard above the chassis and spraying just the edge.  Worked pretty good! 

I got the maroon engine stand from the AMT 1939/1940 Ford Custom Tudor Sedan kit #2403.  There is a different style of engine stand that is in the AMT 1957 Ford Thunderbird ProShop kit, too.  And, there is an engine stand that holds the engine block in the Revell 1968 Dodge Charger and 1969 Dodge Chager Daytona Pro Modeler kit. 

• 2 months later...

Well, much has changed since my last posting.  I have finished a different model for the Classic Plastic Model Club Exhibition "Club Challenge".  So, the Boss 302 will be built with plug wires and other details.  

What's this?  Why it's the distributor to the Boss 302.  I drilled a little too far and the shaft fell out.  I replaced it with a piece of round styrene.  I drilled out the cylinder heads for plugs wires.

More Boss 302 to come...

Boss30216.JPG

Boss30217.JPG

Boss30218.JPG

• Like 1