Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/25 simulated bike chain.

4 hours ago, Pete J. said:

I've made a bunch of purchases like this on eBay.  I follow a very simple process.  I decide what I am willing to pay.  I wait until the last day and that is my one and only bid.  If I get it for less(it does happen) great.  If I get it for my max bid, I got it for what I was willing to pay.  If I don't get it, there will almost always be another one out there soon.  I don't worry about it!  Getting tangled up in a bidding war pretty much assures that you are going to feel like you overbid in the end. 

X2 

9 hours ago, 89AKurt said:

I'm ignorant about the terms.  Seller have a reserve price?  Seller have another account, so tried to bid up, faking idiots like me out?  I've bought things that were not in a bid, just outright.

Ebay originally started as an auction site.  But over the years it has become more and more of a commerce site (like amazon) where the listings are fixed price instead of auction type listings.  I guess you have been dealing with the fixed price listings.

How bidding works is explained in https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/bidding?id=4003 , then the automatic (proxy) bidding is explained in the Automatic Bidding section.  From what your auction bids list shows, it appears that it is what took place. and why you and the other bidder t***t(1139) lost.  Bidder c***c(65) placed his bid of unknown amount, over an hour earlier than you. It must have been higher than your or the other bidder's bids. EBay then was bidding for him, keeping the automatic bids just high enough over the other bids to win the auction.  It really is not too complicated.

53 minutes ago, peteski said:

Ebay originally started as an auction site.  But over the years it has become more and more of a commerce site (like amazon) where the listings are fixed price instead of auction type listings.  I guess you have been dealing with the fixed price listings.

How bidding works is explained in https://www.ebay.com/help/buying/bidding/bidding?id=4003 , then the automatic (proxy) bidding is explained in the Automatic Bidding section.  From what your auction bids list shows, it appears that it is what took place. and why you and the other bidder t***t(1139) lost.  Bidder c***c(65) placed his bid of unknown amount, over an hour earlier than you. It must have been higher than your or the other bidder's bids. EBay then was bidding for him, keeping the automatic bids just high enough over the other bids to win the auction.  It really is not too complicated.

Thanks for the explanation.  Yes, I've been buying without bidding, if I want something, I'll pay a reasonable asking price.

It sure depends on who is selling.  I lurked for this one, I know better than to click the 'watching' button.  I set my phone alarm, so watched for about 15 minutes, saw no activity, pounced with one minute to spare.

Looking forward to actually seeing and touching these.

eBay won fusee chain bid.jpg

On 6/19/2019 at 4:00 PM, 89AKurt said:

It sure depends on who is selling.  I lurked for this one, I know better than to click the 'watching' button.  I set my phone alarm, so watched for about 15 minutes, saw no activity, pounced with one minute to spare.

Looking forward to actually seeing and touching these.

I've been active on eBay since 1999. I know for a fact that it makes not difference in bidding whether you lurk or watch the item you're bidding on.  But I'm a sniper, and that works well for me.  You tried sniping last time, but someone else put in a higher amount bid earlier, so they (well, eBay's automatic bidding, or proxy bidding) automatically outbid you.

I received the one I ordered a couple days ago.  Measures .012" wide by .024" high.  Too high for a 1:25 bicycle chain, but it is very cute and worth having.  There isn't enough space between the link plates for sprocket teeth to actually fit if there's even a 1:25 sprocket with teeth made at all.

5 hours ago, Flat32 said:

I received the one I ordered a couple days ago.  Measures .012" wide by .024" high.  Too high for a 1:25 bicycle chain, but it is very cute and worth having.  There isn't enough space between the link plates for sprocket teeth to actually fit if there's even a 1:25 sprocket with teeth made at all.

True.  I would eliminate the sprocket teeth under the chain.