Model Cars Magazine Forum

door lines

On 2019-06-25 at 9:37 PM, youpey said:

this is what the model looks like. hopefully this link works

Personally I dont think they look that dark at all, I think you over stated how black they were. I've seen some panel lines where people actually take a black acrylic paint and paint the lines and those look way off. But yours seem fine. I know people say that real cars dont have black lines but when you look at the the depth of the panel lines it can literally create a black line pending on the light source. For what I see there, you were fine. I saw below that you fixed it and it still looks good.

Edited by Jhedir6

37 minutes ago, Jhedir6 said:

Personally I dont think they look that dark at all, I think you over stated how black they were. I've seen some panel lines where people actually take a black acrylic paint and paint the lines and those look way off. But yours seem fine. I know people say that real cars dont have black lines but when you look at the the depth of the panel lines can literally create a black line pending on the light source. For what I see there, you were fine. I saw below that you fixed it and it still looks good.

I agree.

This looks pretty black to me!

image.png.ab50c28d72b33bddf09d880fb38796dc.png

Let's be honest, it's really not so much the color of the panel line as it is the thickness.

If the line is thin and the edges of the doors and fenders are not covered in the panel line color, I don't think it much matters what color the wash is.

Steve

This is Tamiya Gray Panel Liner on a Tamiya TS-26 Pure White paint job. The panel liner is on top of everything, not underneath the paint. It's IMHO just enough to add the depth of the panel line without making it look like you drew them on with a mechanical pen.

56396051_10156740799240546_930147306219503616_o.jpg.8fe990191ade6bb22f2bc1e2f0d7a9e9.jpg

3 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

This is Tamiya Gray Panel Liner on a Tamiya TS-26 Pure White paint job. The panel liner is on top of everything, not underneath the paint. It's IMHO just enough to add the depth of the panel line without making it look like you drew them on with a mechanical pen.

56396051_10156740799240546_930147306219503616_o.jpg.8fe990191ade6bb22f2bc1e2f0d7a9e9.jpg

this is exactly how i would like mine to look. can you tell me, did you do this with gray on the primer, then paint white, or did you do it after it was painted?

thank you

13 hours ago, youpey said:

this is exactly how i would like mine to look. can you tell me, did you do this with gray on the primer, then paint white, or did you do it after it was painted?

thank you

It is Tamiya White primer spray bombed onto a molded in white kit. TS-26 Pure White was spray bombed next. Once cured it was hit with 8k & 12k wet sanding and the polishing compound from the MicroMesh set. It was then decaled, once those were dry I applied the Tamiya Gray Panel Liner using the included applicator brush. It's basically super thinned enamel paint, so you just touch the applicator brush to the panel gap and the stuff flows via capillary action right into the gap with no muss, no fuss. It should do all the work for you and you don't need the thing drowning in liner fluid for it work. You can easily wipe off the stuff if you accidentally brush it against a body panel while it's wet. Or clean it up with Tamiya's Enamel Thinner X-20 (not X-20A that's acrylic thinner) if it dried. 

Edited by niteowl7710