Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Cross Reference Guide

Is there something on this site or another that shows cross reference paint for different manufacturers ? If not, any interest if one was created? Really trying to find factory paint codes available in off the shelf sprays/bottles.

For example:

Paint code: V2 / Hemi Orange/ Tor Red

Paint: Duplicolor XYZ#, Tamiya 123

I've never seen or heard of such a chart for car colors, not a comprehensive one, anyway. 

Tim Boyd used to give information of this type in his various articles on the wild musclecar colors of the '60s-'70s in the "other magazine," but IIRC he listed very few Testor/Model Master matches; most of the paints he recommended were from Model Car World. 

Nowadays, the first place to check would be in the Model Master line, as they have several desirable factory colors (such as the Hemi Orange you mentioned), but if you can't find what you need there, a specialty paint shop such as MCW or Scale Finishes is probably your best or only bet. 

Following on Richard's note above, I did a four part series for the other magazine on all the muscle era colors with much of the information you are looking for.  

All four articles are now available as a single digital download (i.e. immediate access) at this link.   https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/product/digital-download/scpdf003  There is a charge but it is pretty small/reasonable in my opinion.  Hope this helps out.    TIM 

Edited by tim boyd

Honestly, if you are truly interested in correct stock automotive colors, you're going to be sorely disappointed trying to replicate them with spray cans.

Testors offers a few, but that's about it.

Otherwise, it doesn't really matter what you use because it won't be correct anyway.

In that case, you'll just have to go by eye.

I suggest that you get yourself an air brush and use one of the hobby automotive paint producers like MCW or Scale Finishes.

Between the two of them, you can get nearly any stock automotive color ever produced in a premixed, ready to spray jar.

Steve

19 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

For actual vehicles, right here:

Auto/Truck/Fleet Paint Cross Reference

If you can't find it there, it doesn't exist.

For model paints:

The Ultimate Model Paint Conversion Chart

For any and every type of paint/color:

Encolorpedia

The Encolorledia is what I had in mind. Same with Model Paint conversion chart. Great links- thank you.

18 hours ago, tim boyd said:

Following on Richard's note above, I did a four part series for the other magazine on all the muscle era colors with much of the information you are looking for.  

All four articles are now available as a single digital download (i.e. immediate access) at this link.   https://kalmbachhobbystore.com/product/digital-download/scpdf003  There is a charge but it is pretty small/reasonable in my opinion.  Hope this helps out.    TIM 

I will definitely check this out. Nice having a digital option for immediate use.

1 hour ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Honestly, if you are truly interested in correct stock automotive colors, you're going to be sorely disappointed trying to replicate them with spray cans.

Testors offers a few, but that's about it.

Otherwise, it doesn't really matter what you use because it won't be correct anyway.

In that case, you'll just have to go by eye.

I suggest that you get yourself an air brush and use one of the hobby automotive paint producers like MCW or Scale Finishes.

Between the two of them, you can get nearly any stock automotive color ever produced in a premixed, ready to spray jar.

Steve

Thanks. I do have an airbrush but was trying to go the easier (cheap) route in some cases. Was trying to see if any old mopar colors translate into readily available Dupli Color cans at parts stores. Like B5 blue is same as their arctic blue. But agree with what you said, most accurate and less troublesome is the a/b ready formulas that I’ll look into.

7 hours ago, Super Mario said:

Thanks. I do have an airbrush but was trying to go the easier (cheap) route in some cases. Was trying to see if any old mopar colors translate into readily available Dupli Color cans at parts stores. Like B5 blue is same as their arctic blue. But agree with what you said, most accurate and less troublesome is the a/b ready formulas that I’ll look into.

You will find a few colors here and there in spray cans that are close to what you're looking for, but the options are pretty limited.

Half of the fun for me when building is looking at the chip sheets for a particular make and year and knowing that I can choose any color from that chart that I desire and I'll be able to get it.

With spray cans you'll be lucky to be able to find 3 or 4 and you will definitely have a hard time finding odd colors like aquas and coppers just to name a couple.

My next couple of projects will be done in odd colors.

1964 Pontiac "Sunfire Red" and 1968 Oldsmobile "Cinnamon Bronze".

You will not find either of these in a spray can.

But Scale finishes had them both.

$9.99 for a 2 oz. jar, enough to easily do 2 models or more, is worth it in my opinion.

Color availability is the only reason that I switched from rattle cans to an air brush years ago.

Steve

2v29ri4w9xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EVJL1oxwUbWP.jpg

16 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

You will find a few colors here and there in spray cans that are close to what you're looking for, but the options are pretty limited.

Half of the fun for me when building is looking at the chip sheets for a particular make and year and knowing that I can choose any color from that chart that I desire and I'll be able to get it.

With spray cans you'll be lucky to be able to find 3 or 4 and you will definitely have a hard time finding odd colors like aquas and coppers just to name a couple.

My next couple of projects will be done in odd colors.

1964 Pontiac "Sunfire Red" and 1968 Oldsmobile "Cinnamon Bronze".

You will not find either of these in a spray can.

But Scale finishes had them both.

$9.99 for a 2 oz. jar, enough to easily do 2 models or more, is worth it in my opinion.

Color availability is the only reason that I switched from rattle cans to an air brush years ago.

Steve

2v29ri4w9xwUbWP.jpg

2v2EVJL1oxwUbWP.jpg

Steve, I couldn't agree more!  I usually used rattle cans for car bodies, but I ordered a bottle of Silver Blue Metallic for my 65 Mustang from Scalefinishes, and I couldn't be happier.  It goes on so easy, no thinning needed.  And as you said, you can order any colour you want.  And, same as you, I love when I buy a new kit and go online to see all the factory colours I can paint it and then simply order that colour from Scalefinishes.  It's really made this hobby that much more fun for me.  

27 minutes ago, bluenote said:

Steve, I couldn't agree more!  I usually used rattle cans for car bodies, but I ordered a bottle of Silver Blue Metallic for my 65 Mustang from Scalefinishes, and I couldn't be happier.  It goes on so easy, no thinning needed.  And as you said, you can order any colour you want.  And, same as you, I love when I buy a new kit and go online to see all the factory colours I can paint it and then simply order that colour from Scalefinishes.  It's really made this hobby that much more fun for me.  

Exactly!

One of the most exciting parts of the hobby for me is researching and deciding on a color.

The build will keep my interest to a much higher degree as well if I really like the color.

It  made things a lot more boring for me when I was relying on what someone decided to put in a rattle can.

Now, the sky is the limit!

Steve