Model Cars Magazine Forum

WIP: Roy Revant's car from Solty Rei

Everfree Customs

soltyrei4.thumb.jpg.9c9bc69fa5a89a8b849a475bcf0a6922.jpgThis is one of many builds that are languishing on my workbench, slowly but surely coming together. It is of Roy Revant's car from the anime Solty Rei. The first thing I noticed about it is how much it looked like it was derived from a 1st gen Ford Mustang, especially in the side coves and general front end shape. In fact, in this anime, most of the vehicles are modeled after real world cars and trucks, so it's only fitting.

I found the best base to start with was a '63 Mustang II concept, partly because the styling is closer to Revant's car that the production model and partly because it's fully articulated with poseable steering and opening doors. The Lindberg version is used here ( I would have had no problem with using an original IMC kit, but this came along dirt cheap).

soltyrei1.thumb.jpg.7021e83101bf0f9093400b6d738dc127.jpg

Here, the rear quarter windows have been filled and a pair of styrene 'fins' have been glued to the rear fenders. Those will be feathered into the main bodywork. Marks have been made for the cutouts at the lower wheelwells. It appears to be part of some sort of otherworldly drive system. I intend to take a few liberties with this build and make it as if it was a live action movie car. The plan is for it to be powered by a small block Ford V8, probably a 289 or 302 hooked up to an automatic. Basically Pony running gear. Haven't decided on whether to go with the squared off turret top, though.soltyrei2.thumb.jpg.47ad0dafc9204928637bd81782a6dff2.jpgsoltyrei3.thumb.jpg.ef9bc3270ff991c178e178e9778f4549.jpg

That's looking like a nice start to what the pictures show. If I could make a couple of suggestions.

In the side view of both the animated picture and your build there are a couple of differences I see. First, the curve of the top front of your fin appears too steep. The animated picture shows a bit of a graceful curve rearward. Second, the door/side window opening on your build is not as long as the one in the drawing. What tipped me off to these two issues was that in the animated picture the fin starts right at the rear of the door opening. So, at first, I thought that you should extend the fin forward. However, looking at the drawing with the longer door perhaps extending the door opening back to meet the fin would be the better choice. Although this would possibly create much more work because then you would need to alter the interior door panel and the interior bucket. Just my two cents. 

Nice looking project though with a great start.

Later-

Edited by Modlbldr

On 8/10/2019 at 5:23 AM, Modlbldr said:

That's looking like a nice start to what the pictures show. If I could make a couple of suggestions.

In the side view of both the animated picture and your build there are a couple of differences I see. First, the curve of the top front of your fin appears too steep. The animated picture shows a bit of a graceful curve rearward. Second, the door/side window opening on your build is not as long as the one in the drawing. What tipped me off to these two issues was that in the animated picture the fin starts right at the rear of the door opening. So, at first, I thought that you should extend the fin forward. However, looking at the drawing with the longer door perhaps extending the door opening back to meet the fin would be the better choice. Although this would possibly create much more work because then you would need to alter the interior door panel and the interior bucket. Just my two cents. 

Nice looking project though with a great start.

Later-

15659064426568058650286477720053.thumb.jpg.c77658847b5800b7f723dc1e622f398c.jpg

Thanks for the suggestions. When you mentioned the door/ window opening, I looked it over and noticed that the bottom rear of the opening is slightly angled forward while the anime car's is almost completely vertical. That shouldn't be a problem because the interior is a platform instead of a bucket, so the side panels will be easier to cut. That part wouldn't affect the front of the fin, so it would have to be extended forward

15659065064852425616739833089280.thumb.jpg.5f0e92a60f81b9b3ca9ee7b810496108.jpg15659065641856523206958944475783.thumb.jpg.e762e0ee9389310ea78595a856d0f84c.jpg