Model Cars Magazine Forum

Italian chassis maker Dallara to build Gen 7 chassis for NASCAR

Vietnam Vet67

2 hours ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

Agreed 99%. Every now and then, I hear one with exhaust tuning that actually sounds good...but the vast majority of them sound like enraged garden tractors.

Yup, that's the sound I was trying to remember. One that definitely need a muffler.

9 minutes ago, Force said:

If it's turbo charged you don't need a muffler as turbo charged engines doesn't make much sound.
I prefer an unsilenced American V8 any day, it's sweet music to my ears.

Hakan, how many American v8's do you have running over there in Sweden?  My grandfather immigrated from Sweden back in 1915 so I figure i'm 50% Swedish. He ended up in Joliet Illinois after he landed in New York. Eventually ended up owning a small grocery store that he was the butcher of. Cool old guy from what I can remember.

Edited by MarkJ

1 minute ago, Force said:

Plenty...there are over 20 in the garage where I keep my 1963½ Galaxie.
The thing is that American cars has been imported and sold by dealers over here for a long time.

There's probably more old v8 American cars over there then we have here nowadays. They've all been outlawed off the road over here.

42 minutes ago, MarkJ said:

There's probably more old v8 American cars over there then we have here nowadays. They've all been outlawed off the road over here.

What laws in Texas do you guys have that makes it illegal to drive vintage cars on the road????

We are lucky here in hillbilly land. $20 for a car tag that lasts 10 years. Super cheap insurance and a number of state senators that are car guys. I drove my 66 Mustang GT350 clone today in fact......

1 hour ago, Dave Van said:

What laws in Texas do you guys have that makes it illegal to drive vintage cars on the road????

I read a while back that some Texas legislators were trying to ban kit cars, retroactively too. That's all I've heard of, but I'd be interested to know the full story as well. I always thought Texas was one of those "leave you alone" states.

1 hour ago, Ace-Garageguy said:

I read a while back that some Texas legislators were trying to ban kit cars, retroactively too. That's all I've heard of, but I'd be interested to know the full story as well. I always thought Texas was one of those "leave you alone" states.

I am a SEMA member and they have been sending us info about a number of state trying to regulate VW based dune buggys, like Manx, out of street legal class. Only car class I know of under fire currently.  

22 hours ago, Dave Van said:

We are lucky here in hillbilly land. $20 for a car tag that lasts 10 years. Super cheap insurance and a number of state senators that are car guys. I drove my 66 Mustang GT350 clone today in fact......

It might not be illegal on a really old car that is designated an antique, but if you don't pass the emmisions test on a car that's not an antique, you don't get a state inspection certificate, which makes the car illegal to drive. I'm not sure what the cutoff point is on the age for an antique. All I know is I haven't seen any 60's Impalas, Galaxies , Fury's or Polara's  on the road for at least 30 years now. Maybe they are all gone in Texas.

Most states use 25 years to qualify.  A few states are moving to 30 years. We are lucky here.....I talk to one of our state senators,   when I sent a photo of my 66 Mustang and in the background you could just see part of the rear end of my 74 AMC Matador he commented on how rare they are....he really knows cars....good to have guys like him as a law maker. 

We have quite liberal regulations for old classic cars in Sweden, if they are over 30 years old we don't have to pay any tax on them and they only have to go through our traffic safety inspection once every 24 months, if the cars are 50 years and older they don't have to be inspected anymore if the most recent safety inspection was done within 24 months or after and most insurance companies has good policys for them.
So these cars are cheap to own...but we don't use them as daily drivers and not many use them in the winter so they don't run many miles per year.

But we might have to go back on topic now. :rolleyes:

Edited by Force

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/3/2019 at 6:08 AM, MarkJ said:

Yes, but you said she had a few wins. 2 is not a few. She use to be all over twitter. Now crickets. Don't get me wrong. I like her very much and was hoping she could finally break through as a top echelon driver in a car that could run top ten every  week in the cup series but it doesn't look like that's going to happen now.

And you are the one that said she hasnt done much since,  she is having a better year than some current Cup drivers, she is only 18, she has plenty of time to make it  to the top series, and to be honest, I don't want to see her rushed like so many other drivers have ,  geebus Mark, give her some to mature as race car driver and make her way up.

But since you can predict the future, mind giving me some winning lotto numbers to play ??

Edited by martinfan5