Model Cars Magazine Forum

1930 Cord L-29

Eric Macleod

3 hours ago, David G. said:

Hi Eric, glad to see that you're still chipping away at this one. 

Good solution for the wheel mounts. If the wheels don't look good on the deck then not much else matters.

David G.

You are very right here. The wheels, and their alignment, are an aspect of the build that is not particularly interesting for others to watch as a WIP, but they are critical to the overall look of the model.

I am indeed 100% committed to the competition of this model. I have said before,  "if it's a job worth doing, it's worth doing twice." In the case of the cowl vents, I am now on my fourth crack at it. I'll get it sometime!.

Edited by Eric Macleod
Typos

9 hours ago, Sam I Am said:

This is just an amazing build. I love this era of automobiles and will continue to follow your progress all the way to under glass.  

Thanks for your kind words.  I fell in love with the 1:1 at a Christmas Parade in Kalamazoo,  MI just after the restoration of the real car was finished.  Literally my entire modeling career has had this model in play. It's a lifetime dream to see it nearing completion. I appreciate you following along!

A detail of this model that has proven to be, shall we say,  vexing, has been scibing the cowl vent openings.  As a bit of a backdrop,  let me say that scribing panel lines is one of my least favorite parts of model making.  

With that off my chest, I came up with a fairly simple approach to the problem.  First,  it required me to sacrifice a Monogram Packard hood, as you can see that wasn't a major loss.

20200327_234007_copy_1008x756.jpg

42 minutes ago, charlie8575 said:

Four decades of work finally beginning to culminate. Exciting. And very nice to see.

Charlie Larkin

So...let's see if I can pain this thing without making a complete mess of it. Thanks for the compliment Charlie.

20200328_110711_copy_1008x756.jpg

20200328_110658_copy_1008x756.jpg

Edited by Eric Macleod
Typo

1 hour ago, David G. said:

That's an excellent solution to the vent problem!

Nicely done.

David G.

Thanks David.  

I felt a bit insane trying to get the same approach to work over and over,  and failing regardless of what I tried.  The open vent idea was a "well, duh" moment when it came to mind.

Thanks to you and all who are following along.  I really do think I am getting closer to the finish line with this one. 

Eric

I finished the blue paint on the body. Next I will fit the windshield and top. I did a mockup of the car last night and find myself thinking that both the windshield and top need a bit of a chop as the whole car looks a little top heavy to me.  Here it is pre-chop.

20200412_073755_copy_1612x1209.jpg

9 minutes ago, David G. said:

Most Impressive Sir!

The silver looks great.

David G.

It isn't my best paint job but I found the bodywork was literally flaking off. I had to decide between starting over completely or pressing on. So...we press on, significant warts and all.

I went ahead and made the chop to the windshield them compared the fit to the top. Lo and behold,  it seemed to fit better.  I think I'm going to leave it just as it is.

Man, oh man, does my accent striping look terrible in the photos! Obviously,  there is more work to be done to clean them up.

PhotoPictureResizer_200412_191838521_copy_1209x1612.jpg

PhotoPictureResizer_200412_191901186_copy_1209x1612.jpg

Edited by Eric Macleod
Correction

• 3 weeks later...

Here's the latest on this project.  I am working on the trunk and the dash. I painter the dash and used the Molotov Chrome pen. I give it about a  C+ at this point. I am also narrowing the Duesenberd sourced trunk to be more in keeping with the appearance of a Cord. More to come soon. When you start adding flocking material you know that you are getting close. 

20200430_225740.jpg

20200430_225714.jpg