Model Cars Magazine Forum

Revell Skips 59 Ford - help from others?

randyc

Here's a new one that I'll be working on for a bit probably.   IF you're familiar, you know about the multi piece body.   I read somewhere to build off the chassis plate to help make sure everything goes together squarely to have better chance of roof working properly.  I have a diecast 57 Ford Mint car, so this one will pair nicely.  Plus I have a Chevy and Chrysler from 59, so I need a Ford for the contrasts of the big 3 from that year.  

See photo - I am assembling on this piece of nice FLAT 3/4" plywood.   Actually considering screwing the frame to the board to keep it in place.  I can fill the hole in bottom later.

I have the inner doors in place with "tacky glue" since they locate the body to chassis.   Does the assembly in photo look like I'm ready to start gluing this all together?  Trunk lid fits snugly and can be filed/sanded at edges later to make better.  I tried to sand the front fender tops to leave the chrome trim exposed a bit like on the rest of that slab.  Worked the edges to get a better fit.   Just wanted someone that has built it successfully to review and let me know if you think I'm good to start gluing the 4 main pieces together.  And make sure I'm on the right track here.

I assume when I get this glued fairly securely, I'll go in behind and reinforce all the joints.   I plan to use a combination of CA and mdel cements to make it fairly sturdy - I'm ham-handed sometimes.   Needs to be sturdy.

I also have a killed 55 Ford Diecast (se thrread on diecast page about 4 cars) that can give up as many chassis/engine parts as needed.  Wonder if... wouldn't that be pretty cool to use that frame and running gear?

May use the 55 wheels anyway.  This issue of the 59 has the flippers that could go elsewhere.

Inputs welcome at this point before I glue.

IMG_20191003_191248769.jpg

IMG_20191003_191252510.jpg

I have had one of these kits for ever and so far have only used the chrome wheels for another project. The multi part body has put me off on this one  so I'll be watching this build for inspiration. I like your body jig idea.  

22 minutes ago, espo said:

I have had one of these kits for ever and so far have only used the chrome wheels for another project. The multi part body has put me off on this one  so I'll be watching this build for inspiration. I like your body jig idea.  

I'm really wanting this one to work out nicely, so I'm trying to think it completely through.  I've read several things about it on the net.  I figure having a "surface plate" can't hurt.  I have a Revell Austin-Heally multi piece after this.  Wish I had the steel plate with magnetic blocks to block/lock it in place.  May still use some wood blocks to hold it.  

Edited by randyc

What you are doing is 100% correct. Once the body is together, it is just a normal bild. Do alot ot test fitting along the way. 

I built this one years ago. Needs a rebuild since the top assembly has come apart. For once, I used too little glue.

BTW, 55 Fords do not use any similar chassis components. The AMT 58 Edsel or 60 Starliner would be a correct chassis

IMG_20191004_130230[1].jpg

Edited by Sledsel

1 hour ago, Sledsel said:

What you are doing is 100% correct. Once the body is together, it is just a normal bild. Do alot ot test fitting along the way. 

I built this one years ago. Needs a rebuild since the top assembly has come apart. For once, I used too little glue.

BTW, 55 Fords do not use any similar chassis components. The AMT 58 Edsel or 60 Starliner would be a correct chassis

Thanks for that tip about the 55s.   I have looked to see if they were the same.   I *might have a 60 Ford chassis.  not sure the juice would be worth the squeeze either way on the transplant chassis.    I do olike the sturdiness of a diecast chassis - in most cases.   The later Mint cars with working suspension are kida fragile.  

Once mine go in a case, they rarely come back out.   And they are up high so no one would be looking at what's under the hood.  Just finshed the 59 Chrysler, and for display, can't tell the difference.  

41 minutes ago, Bob Ellis said:

I like this kit a lot. Since liquid cement, it's easier to build this kit. Dries fast and gaps can be pushed together sooner. The working hardtop roof is amazing

Sounds good.   I love the working top on my Franklin mint car.   Might be nice to have the top workings for this one.  All the metal struts and such.  But I am going to try to make this one work from the kit parts.

Actually, the 57 Ranch Wagon would be most accurate. The Skyliners were built on the station wagon/Ranchero frame. That's why the fuel filler is on the left rear fender, instead of above the license plate like the standard cars were.

Ok here's where I am today.  After the glue dried, I didn't like the trim on front fenders.  Tried to file and scribe, but it just didn't match the sides.  So.... I scribed and sawed a groove, using the seam.  Into that went a piece of .010 x .040 strip that I was able to file down.  

Also saw that with the chassis out of body that drivers side has a pretty severe warp at bottom.  Standard heating and bending helped.  No photos of that.  It did break the little joint at rear, so I redid it and tried to reinforce.  We'll see how that works.    

My photos never come out in order but you can see what I did.  

IMG_20191006_132420794.jpg

IMG_20191006_142202041.jpg

IMG_20191006_142158601.jpg

IMG_20191006_133200138.jpg

IMG_20191006_132514502.jpg