Model Cars Magazine Forum

1968 Olds 442 Wheel Options

On 10/17/2019 at 4:15 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I think I'm going with the poverty caps and red lines.

On 10/17/2019 at 5:49 PM, StevenGuthmiller said:

I have a set of dog dish caps and a couple of sets of Magnums.

I'm not much of a fan of red lines anyway, but I feel like they look better with steel wheels.

Steve, out of curiosity, do you plan to use some generic poverty caps, or does somebody in the aftermarket produce the correct Oldsmobile hubcaps for this application?  I'd definitely be interested in getting a few sets if someone produces them, especially if they actually have the "Oldsmobile" lettering.

1 hour ago, RichCostello said:

I'd vote for the steel wheels W/ dog dishes.

In my opinion also, pretty hard to beat this look:

1968-oldsmobile-442.jpeg

2015-08-13-1968-442-22-2095-640.jpg

Any decision on stripes/no stripes?

I personally find the '68 fender stripes detract from the lines of the car, but that's just my 2 cents.

Edited by Robberbaron

1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

Steve, out of curiosity, do you plan to use some generic poverty caps, or does somebody in the aftermarket produce the correct Oldsmobile hubcaps for this application?  I'd definitely be interested in getting a few sets if someone produces them, especially if they actually have the "Oldsmobile" lettering.

I picked up a set of '68-'72 Olds caps from Missing Link, and although they are not entirely accurate, they are close enough for me.

Not surprisingly, they do not have the Oldsmobile lettering.

I'm guessing that it would be very difficult to reproduce in resin considering how small the lettering would be.

Plus the fact that it would likely be obliterated by plating anyway.

image.thumb.jpeg.c6a07d49a55ea75bbe804cceb3830a3e.jpeg

1 hour ago, Can-Con said:

Missing link has the earlier caps with the Olds rocket crest in the center, if that helps.

They do but the Olds crest caps are not accurate for '68

Those particular caps are supposedly for 1966 and '67.

image.thumb.jpeg.1d9db3930b4a29b8ed3e419242941df2.jpeg

1 hour ago, Robberbaron said:

Any decision on stripes/no stripes?

I personally find the '68 fender stripes detract from the lines of the car, but that's just my 2 cents.

The unique vertical stripes are one of my favorite aspects of the '68 442. :)

It's what makes it instantly identifiable as a '68.

The only decision that I have yet to make is the stripe and top color.

Either black or white.

Steve

41 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I picked up a set of '68-'72 Olds caps from Missing Link, and although they are not entirely accurate, they are close enough for me.

Not surprisingly, they do not have the Oldsmobile lettering.

Steve

I bet it would be pretty easy for someone with experience making decals to do the lettering as a decal.

19 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I may be able to help you out with that. I have to work tomorrow but let me have a look after work.

Thanks Steve!

Do you happen to know it they are nicer than some of the other wheels already mentioned?

I had one of these kits when I was a kid, but of course I have no memory of the wheels.

Steve

15 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

I bet it would be pretty easy for someone with experience making decals to do the lettering as a decal.

That is a thought, but I have recently done a little business with Bob Spedding with decals and I have a sense that it might be quite difficult to make such small lettering readable.

If they aren't perfectly crisp and clear, I don't think it would pay to mess with them.

It's something to ponder though. ;)

Steve

7 minutes ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

Thanks Steve!

Do you happen to know it they are nicer than some of the other wheels already mentioned?

I had one of these kits when I was a kid, but of course I have no memory of the wheels.

Steve

I'll take a couple pics and post them up for you. Honestly, I haven't looked at them in a while but they are nice. Also a touch smaller in diameter than the other 500s available.

As I've said before though, my favorites are the ones in the AMT '70/'72 Chevelle SS kits. The depth of them makes them look dead on for the Olds 500s I had on my Nova.

Steve , Here's a couple pics of the JoHan '70 442 wheel in a small MPC tire

They look pretty accurate to me if you can see beyond all the old paint. 

They'd need to be stripped of the old Testors paint and re-finished but I can send them along if you like.

IMG 2549

IMG 2548

51 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

Steve , Here's a couple pics of the JoHan '70 442 wheel in a small MPC tire

They look pretty accurate to me if you can see beyond all the old paint. 

They'd need to be stripped of the old Testors paint and re-finished but I can send them along if you like.

I appreciate the thought Steve, but I would rather not have to refinish the wheels.

I should have enough options available to me if I decide to use the Magnums.

Thank you very much for the offer though! :)

Steve

Steve, here's my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it: 

I'd use the SSIIs. They're not bad looking at all, and you can only use them on Oldsmobiles, which you don't seem to build all that many of. Mag 500s and steelies with dog dishes you can put on almost anything. 

But of course it's your model, and you should build it exactly the way YOU want to. B)