Model Cars Magazine Forum

1987 Ford Thunderbird Boss 429

mrmike

This Thunderbird is another refugee from my dusty and dirty model shelves.  When I get done with this T-Bird, it will no longer be a Turbo Coupe!  Why?  It will have a Boss 429 engine in its engine compartment, that's why.  This T-Bird was covered with dust and dust-puppies and I started to clean it off.  Then, the model started to fall apart.  I remember reading in Hot Rod Magazine some time ago about rodders stuffing Ford V8s into the T-Bird and then Ford followed suit by adding a 5.0 Ltr. V8 to their lineup.  I'm going to attempt the same, but with a BIG PUNCH!  The Boss 429 is on the left.  The others were considered and much smaller.  It fits the frame rails, but it might have to be lowered a bit to fit under the hood.

More Thunderbird to come...

Turbo01.JPG

Turbo02.JPG

Turbo03.JPG

Edited by mrmike

And, it was done!  I turned the engine into a dry sump engine to get it lower in the chassis.  I'll create a new transmission and engine mounts for the frame.  The only clearance issue I had was the overflow container was hitting the pump on the left side of the belt assembly.  

Turbo04.JPG

Turbo05.JPG

Turbo06.JPG

Tonight, I got the engine installed into the chassis.  Save for a few touchups, the chassis is done!  The exhaust system hooked up right where it should.  I'll add some exhaust tips and maybe notch the rear bumper for the tips.

Turbo07.JPG

Turbo08.JPG

Turbo09.JPG

I masked the T-Bird this morning and brush painted the trim around the windows and the body side moldings.  I had some bleed under the tape, so now it's cleanup time.  The more I stared at the exhaust system, the more I didn't like it.  I cut the mufflers from the Turbo exhaust and the Mustang Boss 429 exhaust and swapped them around.

Turbo10.JPG

Turbo11.JPG

Turbo12.JPG

I got the T-Bird body trim painted and the body polished.  I added the glass and the interior to the body.  I'm using a Parts by Parks aluminium distributor on the engine.  I may need plug boots, too.

Turbo13.JPG

Turbo14.JPG

Turbo15.JPG

Thanks Scott and Joe!  Sometimes a build can remind you of a 1:1 car that you may have seen at a show or on the street or parking lot somewhere.  It happens to me quite often and I am compelled to build that model.  One such car I saw at a car show is a '65 Buick Riviera GS that caught my eye.  I have the AMT kit and I will build it someday soon.

Thanks Craig and Charlie!  Originally, the Thunderbird Turbo Coupe was suppose to compete along side with the Mustang SVO against some of the European cars.  But, that turned out to be a big sales disaster for the Turbo Coupe and the Mustang SVO.