Model Cars Magazine Forum

A little NASCAR fun from the old days - 1970 MIS race

Vietnam Vet67

You can see why they needed to add a lot more stands to Michigan back in the day. Now the new stands are mostly empty. Texas World was just like Michigan, but it never came close to a sellout. Never got a good weather date. Either too cold in December or way too hot in late june.

• 1 month later...

Thanks for posting this Ed. Some really great shots of the various body details of the Aerocars in that video. I was lucky enough to have had my older sister and brother-in-law take me to the 1970 Southern 500 (for my 15th birthday!) and witness the Wing cars and Aero Fords race before their exit from the sport. That was ALSO the day I found out that you could go down to the pits after the race and the teams would allow you to peel souvenir decals off the cars!  STILL have one of the #40's off the rear of Pete's Superbird almost 50 yrs. later.

John

4 hours ago, yellowsportwagon said:

Find a picture of Pete’s Superbird from Daytona and look how different the chin spoiler is.

You're right Tim. In fact, of the 15 starts he made in that car in '70, I'm not sure I've ever seen two photos where it was configured exactly alike!

John