Model Cars Magazine Forum

Paint Booth Advice Needed

Hi Guys,

So i have just had my first session with my airbrush using Enamel oil based paints.

I thinned these using regular white spirit from Walmart and used a trimmed cardboard box to do this in. I dont have a garage so I did this in my kitchen and its fair to say it stunk the place out with the fumes.

I have seen that you can buy paint booths with extractors on the back, some with a hose to help with ventilation but some of the comments say that you shouldnt use them with anything that is flammable, i.e. white spirit that I have been using.

Some of the comments say that they use them with spray can paints which are flammable and have no problems but I just wondered if anyone has any experience with these or any other suggestions?

Thank you in advance.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01E2NLLGM?pf_rd_p=f20e70b1-67f9-48d1-8c78-ba616030b420&pf_rd_r=7H2H66PQCRY90Q8Q9JJJ

https://www.amazon.co.uk/FLOUREON-Professional-Airbrush-Airbrushing-Extractor/dp/B00KXTDI7A/ref=sr_1_8?keywords=airbrush+paint+booth&qid=1579596133&sr=8-8

Edited by oPROJECTMAYHEMo

if it a spray booth you should be fine with what your using. Remember the propelant in spray cans is flamable and they work fine in spray booths. Mines a cheap one from china and it works well enough for me, and has cut down the fumes and dust a lot. I only wish I'd got one a size or 2 bigger.

There are so many different opinions on spray booths. I like to use enamels, and lacquers, and I have always been of the opinion the fumes really should be extracted from the room. I have a spray booth with a hose that vents out a window.  I have not used the second spray booth you linked, which vents outside with a hose, but I have seen generally positive reviews about it.  I would be remiss if I did not mention you should wear a respirator while airbrushing or spraying paint so you do not inhale the fumes or the paint. 

55 minutes ago, stitchdup said:

if it a spray booth you should be fine with what your using. Remember the propelant in spray cans is flamable and they work fine in spray booths. Mines a cheap one from china and it works well enough for me, and has cut down the fumes and dust a lot. I only wish I'd got one a size or 2 bigger.

Are you using flammable thinners?

What size would you recommend? 

Thank you

51 minutes ago, kurth said:

There are so many different opinions on spray booths. I like to use enamels, and lacquers, and I have always been of the opinion the fumes really should be extracted from the room. I have a spray booth with a hose that vents out a window.  I have not used the second spray booth you linked, which vents outside with a hose, but I have seen generally positive reviews about it.  I would be remiss if I did not mention you should wear a respirator while airbrushing or spraying paint so you do not inhale the fumes or the paint. 

Yeah I found out the need for a respirator pretty quickly. Absolutely murdered by throat!

Do you mind me asking which booth you use?

Your link to the first spray booth is what I have been using for a few years. I would like a larger one but in reality it isn't needed. The booth would be a wise investment for many reasons not the least of which is getting the fumes out of your kitchen. Most booths that I have seen have some sort of exhaust hose to vent the fumes away. In your second link I have to wonder what the manufacture was thinking of with the exhaust pointed at the user.  My suggestion would be to use a length of exhaust hose that is designed for a cloths dryer. I use a flexible metal  type hose and use the ring type clamps to secure it to the Spray Booth. This should be easily found at any home building supply type store. With the type of paint you mentioned that you're using a small face mask covering your nose and mouth may be acceptable. Getting into some of the more exotic automotive based paint then you should really think about a more professional breathing system. You really should have some sort of lung protection no matter what you're spraying.  

For years I used a homemade spray booth knocked together out of particle board, with a bathroom vent fan and furnace filter.  

Then I bit the bullet...or the wallet...and got the Artograph 1530. So named because it's 15 inches deep and 30 inches long, so it's BIG. It really needs a dedicated space.  It has 2 hi-speed bottom-draw fans, a 3-stage filter system and a clear Lexan panel on top to let in light.  A small under-the-kitchen-counter light fixture from the hardware store can sit on top for more light.  When the Lexan gets dirty from paint overspray, the local big hardware chain store can cut a new piece.  

My basement work shop has sliding windows. So to vent the booth, I cut a piece of plywood to fit exactly in the window. Then cut 2 holes in it with a 4-inch hole saw and ran flexible vent hoses from the fan exhausts to the plywood panel. Also put a drawer handle on the plywood, so I can easily lift the wood into the window frame and take it out. 

The 1530 is discontinued but Micro Mark sells a direct copy of it.  Yes, it's expensive. But so is a long hospital stay. 

Here's an old review of it from Cybermodeler and a link to the Micro Mark page:

http://www.cybermodeler.com/hobby/tools/artograph/tool_artograph.shtml

https://www.micromark.com/15-Inch-x-30-Inch-Large-Spray-Paint-Booth

1530.jpg

Edited by Mike999
omit

1 hour ago, espo said:

Your link to the first spray booth is what I have been using for a few years. I would like a larger one but in reality it isn't needed. The booth would be a wise investment for many reasons not the least of which is getting the fumes out of your kitchen. Most booths that I have seen have some sort of exhaust hose to vent the fumes away. In your second link I have to wonder what the manufacture was thinking of with the exhaust pointed at the user.  My suggestion would be to use a length of exhaust hose that is designed for a cloths dryer. I use a flexible metal  type hose and use the ring type clamps to secure it to the Spray Booth. This should be easily found at any home building supply type store. With the type of paint you mentioned that you're using a small face mask covering your nose and mouth may be acceptable. Getting into some of the more exotic automotive based paint then you should really think about a more professional breathing system. You really should have some sort of lung protection no matter what you're spraying.  

I did think the same about the hose pointing at the user but then saw in picture 4 that it is just to show the hose pointed out of the window.

I think the first picture is just to show the components in one view.

5 hours ago, oPROJECTMAYHEMo said:

Are you using flammable thinners?

What size would you recommend? 

Thank you

all thinners are flamable prety much, as for size it depends what you're building.I'd suggest getting one 24" wide if youbbuild cars, but if you build trucks that might not be big enough. mines 20" x 12" and another 6" deeper and at least 6" wider would suit me better but everyone is different

I have the one in your second link. It works well. The fan pulls enough air through so rattle cans won’t overpower it. The filter needs changing often and the fan is about as loud as a hair dryer. It works well for cars and 1/48 airplanes up to about the size of an F-4 Phantom.

Ben

8 hours ago, oPROJECTMAYHEMo said:

Yeah I found out the need for a respirator pretty quickly. Absolutely murdered by throat!

Do you mind me asking which booth you use?

I have a pace enterprises Peacekeeper

http://www.pacepaintbooth.com/

I saved up for it, and they used to (and they may still) run a sale around the holidays, so it was something like 40% off, and it was less expensive when I bought it 9 years ago.  It looks like you are in the UK so shipping one to you would probably be impractical, but lots of people have built similar paintbooths, the most expensive part is the fan. 

I learned my lesson about using a respirator when I painted a car white ... then I still smelled paint every where I went. I looked in the mirror and could see the inside of my nose was coated with paint! 

I have that Artograph booth shown above, cannot say enough good things about it, plus it’s metal, so it’s sturdy. I went that big as I do big rigs and it fits a trailer side easily . I see the price has really gone up since I got mine, but still a great investment.