Model Cars Magazine Forum

Scenery Tip for Dioramas

PHPaul

I don't know if this is old news, but it's something that just occurred to me to try.

hosta1.jpg

I was yakking over the fence with a visitor when I got to looking at the moss growing out of the cedar boards.  This time of year, the stuff is everywhere and comes in a wide variety of forms and colors.  Very detailed and visually interesting.  I grabbed a putty knife and scraped a couple of samples off and set them on top of the furnace to dry.

hosta2.jpg

hosta3.jpg

After a little trimming for size and structure, I glued them to my 1/64th scale diorama as Hosta plants around the house.  I really like the look.  Not sure how durable they're going to be, they might dry out completely and turn to dust.  If so, I'll try some different ways to preserve them. 

Edited by PHPaul
typo

• 2 weeks later...

I have used similar stuff on my dioramas. We had a very wet year here in Ohio last year and the North side of our storage shed roof sprouted some interesting Fungi which I harvested and dried looks good in the right places. I'm always on the outlook for stuff like that.