Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, goldfinger said:

You can model on a budget. I get coupons for 40,50, and even 60% off from Michaels and Hobby Lobby,. The other day i bought a revell Bronco for 11.00! Likewise, shopping on the internet will find you bargains. It can be expensive, but with a little effort and innovation it really doesnt have to be super expensive.

 

Going the opposite way from what I actually do, you can go really cheap.  Every model car show/competition, or any other kind of model show for that matter, has swap meet.  You can generally find a bunch of kits for about $10 each.  Also often someone is selling off their paint supplies and the price I see is about $3 to $5 a can.  There are also tool sellers, so you can pick up hobby knives and sprue cutters on the cheap.  The only thing missing is glue and you can get that at the store for a couple of bucks.

  So in theory you could set yourself up for under $20.  Now that all changes when you start looking for that "one" kit that you have always wanted to build. If you want more you can certainly go there, but like anything there is a price for that.  I think most of the complaining about cost comes from those who want the latest high quality kit, with all the aftermarket stuff and the tools to build it.  Do you need all that stuff?  No, but it can make the hobby more enjoyable and a great model easier to achieve, but you can still have fun and put competitive model on the table with just the basics.  It just takes time and effort.  

Edited by Pete J.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

So in theory you could set yourself up for under $20.  Now that all changes when you start looking for that "one" kit that you have always wanted to build. If you want more you can certainly go there, but like anything there is a price for that

You ain't kidding, Pete. Been there, done that. Supply and demand dictates that you're going to pay out the wazoo for that "one kit that you always wanted to build"; especially when that "one kit" is rarer than the steak at Peter Luger's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Pete J. said:
4 hours ago, goldfinger said:

You can model on a budget. I get coupons for 40,50, and even 60% off from Michaels and Hobby Lobby,. The other day i bought a revell Bronco for 11.00! Likewise, shopping on the internet will find you bargains. It can be expensive, but with a little effort and innovation it really doesnt have to be super expensive.

 

 

2 hours ago, Pete J. said:

Going the opposite way from what I actually do, you can go really cheap.  Every model car show/competition, or any other kind of model show for that matter, has swap meet.  You can generally find a bunch of kits for about $10 each.  Also often someone is selling off their paint supplies and the price I see is about $3 to $5 a can.  There are also tool sellers, so you can pick up hobby knives and sprue cutters on the cheap.  The only thing missing is glue and you can get that at the store for a couple of bucks.

  So in theory you could set yourself up for under $20.  Now that all changes when you start looking for that "one" kit that you have always wanted to build. If you want more you can certainly go there, but like anything there is a price for that.  I think most of the complaining about cost comes from those who want the latest high quality kit, with all the aftermarket stuff and the tools to build it.  Do you need all that stuff?  No, but it can make the hobby more enjoyable and a great model easier to achieve, but you can still have fun and put competitive model on the table with just the basics.  It just takes time and effort.  

 

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

You ain't kidding, Pete. Been there, done that. Supply and demand dictates that you're going to pay out the wazoo for that "one kit that you always wanted to build"; especially when that "one kit" is rarer than the steak at Peter Luger's.

Yes Joe, you can.  I have spent as much as $1,000 on a kit and parts, but then it took me 4 years to build it, so I suppose $250 a year wasn't all that bad.  It is a matter of perspective!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Last three days I've been building a Polar Lights '65 Coronet I bought at Walmart 10 or 15 years ago. Don't remember what I paid for it, but who cares--today it's absolutely FREE modeling! Just a tiny bit of paint and some of a Sharpie. B)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think the cost is not too bad, if you watch where you buy. But its easy to drive the cost up. I have found if I scratch build, or go to larger scales, its exponentially more expensive. 1/24 is cheap, unless you add a bunch of detail parts. 1/8 is just expensive. I like the 1/16 for now. Plenty of kits, not much more than the 1/24 and I can get detail parts. If I had to guess, I think I can finish the 1/16 firebird and be in about $200-250 total. It has 3d printed wheels, tires, engine, transmission, shifter and fuel cell. I added some brass 4-link brackets and a few other odds and ends. Not too bad, and it could be done a lot cheaper. Itll take another few months to finish.......if I finish it.

On the other hand, I also collect Lego, and it is getting expensive. I buy 3 or 4 kits a year, usually used, and spend probably $500 to get them. And they are built in a few hours, and Im done. I have thousands of extra parts to play with, though. And if I dont like it, I can tear it apart easily. 

My other hobbies are playing drums and classic trucks. Drums are expensive, but if you buy sticks or cymbals, itll set you back a few bucks, but they last a couple of years. The trucks? Holy cow. Building cars/trucks is outrageous. I need coil overs to get one on the road (long story), but thats going to be $1200. A radiator is $400. The trucks are almost always on hold for budget constraints. Its easier to get a $50 3d printed part here and there, than that $750 carburetor you need. Its easy to spend $35k on a custom car. Im at about $10k on the D-100, and need another $5k to make it road worthy. The F100 is about $2k, but itll be on the road this summer, as a nearly complete, stock 67 F100. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, drummerdad said:

On the other hand, I also collect Lego, and it is getting expensive. I buy 3 or 4 kits a year, usually used, and spend probably $500 to get them. And they are built in a few hours, and Im done. I have thousands of extra parts to play with, though. And if I dont like it, I can tear it apart easily. 

So, have you been watching the new fox show Lego Masters?  That is such a kick.  They just built 6' bridges and then tested them for strength.  A couple of them held a half a ton!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Pete J. said:

So, have you been watching the new fox show Lego Masters?  That is such a kick.  They just built 6' bridges and then tested them for strength.  A couple of them held a half a ton!

I have, on Hulu. I love it. I also watched a bunch of them on youtube, but they were not in the US. I cant remember where they were. Its very cool. Lots of very good builders on that show. I love the technic lego stuff. I have lots of those kits. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
56 minutes ago, drummerdad said:

My other hobbies are playing drums and classic trucks.

What kind of drums do you have?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Pete J. said:

So, have you been watching the new fox show Lego Masters?  That is such a kick.  They just built 6' bridges and then tested them for strength.  A couple of them held a half a ton!

Would be cool to see a model building show.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To keep costs down I buy rebuilders and try to use parts I have in stock along with parts picked up at swapmeets.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/13/2020 at 8:19 PM, Roadrunner said:

What kind of drums do you have?

 

I have a 9pc pearl world series. Its a little old and beat up. I have zildjian hi-hats, and a grab bag of cymbals, with Axis double pedals. It works ok. 

I mostly play progressive metal and rock. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Circus Maximus (the new one, not the band from the 70s). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For us thrifty folk (or those of us constantly struggling with the price of EVERYTHING in New York) the big chain’s vouchers are a Godsend...picked BOTH of these up from one of the chains today for under $20, pre tax:

AED89E3F-C356-48EE-87A2-CD578B58972B.thumb.jpeg.629325f615171755503a187a65e6396c.jpegF222EAC4-8E30-40A6-81E4-07BBC4A8F65E.thumb.jpeg.5c01d2c6f204ad47af57f58c66ac79d4.jpeg

Keep an eye out for those vouchers and offers - this particular store had 60% off, with an additional 20% off the entire purchase which brought them down to a touch under $9 a piece!  Them’s old fashioned prices! 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, drummerdad said:

I have a 9pc pearl world series. Its a little old and beat up. I have zildjian hi-hats, and a grab bag of cymbals, with Axis double pedals. It works ok. 

I mostly play progressive metal and rock. Dream Theater, Symphony X, Circus Maximus (the new one, not the band from the 70s). 

Excellent. Mine, sold off a couple of years back, were also Pearl; Session Custom Maple to be exact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...