Model Cars Magazine Forum

Opinions wanted

Hey everyone,

I'm working on designing my next build. I'm making the Alaskan Hauler 353, and I'm not sure which route to go. I've figured out the color scheme, but I'm not sure whether to go with a day cab or sleeper. I did lots of searches on the interweb, and it really looks like 353s didn't have sleepers. But that doesn't mean that someone couldn't add one. I love day cabs, and I could build nothing but those. But I would like to incorporate a sleeper into a build. I really like the lines on the one with the 36" sleeper. My other thought is the shorter wheelbase day cab. What do you guys think? Is a 353 with a sleeper unrealistic? But I do like the "Alaskan Hauler" idea, which would most likely have a sleeper. I'm torn. What's your input?

colors.jpg.7364d162815dac2ed9ac910bb5244d34.jpg

20 hours ago, delta99 said:

Hey everyone,

I'm working on designing my next build. I'm making the Alaskan Hauler 353, and I'm not sure which route to go. I've figured out the color scheme, but I'm not sure whether to go with a day cab or sleeper. I did lots of searches on the interweb, and it really looks like 353s didn't have sleepers. But that doesn't mean that someone couldn't add one. I love day cabs, and I could build nothing but those. But I would like to incorporate a sleeper into a build. I really like the lines on the one with the 36" sleeper. My other thought is the shorter wheelbase day cab. What do you guys think? Is a 353 with a sleeper unrealistic? But I do like the "Alaskan Hauler" idea, which would most likely have a sleeper. I'm torn. What's your input?

colors.jpg.7364d162815dac2ed9ac910bb5244d34.jpg

36” with longer WB

With those Alaska trucks being nearly all custom built, I think you could get away with and justify almost anything. On that note, I like the large sleeper, but the 36in is good too. If I ever got stuck out on the Haul Road, I would be glad to have the extra space and storage of the bigger sleeper. 

I think the 36" sleeper would be fine. I doubt many wreckers really need a sleeper but a lot have them. I've never been to Alaska but I'm guessing a sleeper would come in handy if you get stuck in the wilderness, or it would just be a big tuna can for a grizzly bear! :lol:

I'm not a trucker or a builder, but my impression has me looking for the larger sleeper on the shorter wheelbase.  Proportions might look better regardless of any other considerations. This combo is not shown.

• 2 weeks later...