Model Cars Magazine Forum

3D Pens: Potential for hobby use?

I have seen a couple of YouTube videos on these gadgets. Kind of like a tiny hot glue gun, but has an automatic feed for the medium. Just thinking aloud what someone could do with one. The one that I saw used ABS rod, but I would not be surprised if Evergreen round styrene stock might work as well

13 hours ago, Roger U said:

Very interesting. Could be very useful if it will work with styrene.

Assuming that it uses material rods of the same diameters commonly found in Evergreen and Plastruct round stock, I can't see why it wouldn't. ABS and Styrene should have pretty similar melting points.

I am impressed with the lack of any diagrams or plans anywhere in sight for reference. This is obviously a very experienced builder with an uncommon ability for making multiple pieces that match and fit squarely. Thanks for posting that for us to be inspired by.

30 minutes ago, misterNNL said:

I am impressed with the lack of any diagrams or plans anywhere in sight for reference. This is obviously a very experienced builder with an uncommon ability for making multiple pieces that match and fit squarely. Thanks for posting that for us to be inspired by.

THX Tom!

Exactly what I wanted to say....just didn't get it to sound the same when typed!!

Way beyond what I could do with the tool. I'm a little underwhelmed by it. It's great if you've got the the talent the guy in the video has. It's like watching a good wood carver whittle something in wood. Or machinist build something from scratch in metal. And I'm sure we've all seen beautiful models done in both wood and/or metal in the past. Just not one built by me. 

Dont get me wrong. I think the model he built was great. I just don't see the pen he's using as anything new that will help an average model builder like me improve what I'm already doing.