Jump to content
Model Cars Magazine Forum

Createx Transparent for Candy Effects?


Recommended Posts

Hi everyone, I was doing a little research and I came across a way of using acrylics to create a paint job with a candy effect. You can do this with using Tamiya's transparent colors over a metallic base coat. Has anyone tried this with Createx's transparent colors? And what experiences have you had with using Createx paints for model building? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Translucent paint over a reflective base color is basically what a candy paint job is; Tamiya’s clear colors work great and I really like them but there’s only a handful of colors.  
 

You can mix them, obviously, but the Createx line is a lot more varied.  Harder to spray in my experience, they’re very thin and need to be mixed with a carrier for best results but a lot of colors to choose from and a good quality product.

Used a mix of Tamiya clears and Createx solids and candies on this one:

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

29 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Translucent paint over a reflective base color is basically what a candy paint job is; Tamiya’s clear colors work great and I really like them but there’s only a handful of colors.  
 

You can mix them, obviously, but the Createx line is a lot more varied.  Harder to spray in my experience, they’re very thin and need to be mixed with a carrier for best results but a lot of colors to choose from and a good quality product.

Used a mix of Tamiya clears and Createx solids and candies on this one:

 

You did a great job on that build. I really like the color choices that you used. Did you use just regular createx or did you use their candy2o? I also read some where that regular creatix is only meant for fabrics, but I'm not sure. 

But I was thinking of using createx transparent purple over a metallic chrome

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Mopar440_93 said:

You did a great job on that build. I really like the color choices that you used. Did you use just regular createx or did you use their candy2o? I also read some where that regular creatix is only meant for fabrics, but I'm not sure. 

But I was thinking of using createx transparent purple over a metallic chrome

Thank you!  A little of both...the Candy2o is my favorite, but there’s some of both on there.  
 

I’ve heard that some of the Createx lines are meant for fabrics too, but it seems that the paint doesn’t know what I’m spraying it on as I’ve never had any troubles using any of them for anything I’ve wanted to do with them.  Their weakest product, for me, is the black which doesn’t like to dry without some heat in my experience, but the others are good quality products that are easy to work with in my opinion (for what that’s worth ?)

Their purple over a chrome would look great I’d think!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, CabDriver said:

Thank you!  A little of both...the Candy2o is my favorite, but there’s some of both on there.  
 

I’ve heard that some of the Createx lines are meant for fabrics too, but it seems that the paint doesn’t know what I’m spraying it on as I’ve never had any troubles using any of them for anything I’ve wanted to do with them.  Their weakest product, for me, is the black which doesn’t like to dry without some heat in my experience, but the others are good quality products that are easy to work with in my opinion (for what that’s worth ?)

Their purple over a chrome would look great I’d think!

Is there anything that you would recommend over createx?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

46 minutes ago, Mopar440_93 said:

Is there anything that you would recommend over createx?

Not that I’ve tried!

Unless you mean to literally clear coat over it, in which case Testor’s high gloss enamel ?

Edited by CabDriver
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here are some really poor pictures of sample boards I did of AutoAir Transparents and Candies. All are over Silver Base.

The colors are much richer and deeper in real life, but maybe this will give you some idea. The first pic is Transparents, the second Candies.

For a clear over Createx, just about anything will work. They recommend 2K clear, but I've used Duplicolor, Krylon, and Testors lacquer.

DSCN1866.JPG

DSCN1867.JPG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 years later...

Hey Guys'.   I'm curious about transparent paint and figured instead of starting a new thread I'd just resurect this one.

My question here, and I'm a Createx user, if you for instance spray gold (after priming) and overcoat it with red, will the result be  red with gold hi-lites?

What I'm looking for is a reddish gold color.   

Comments appreciated.

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have been using Createx paints (Wicked Colors, Pearlized, Metalics and Candi2o). I suggest you watch the youtube videos from Createx (there are many) for proper mixing and spraying. Lately I have been using the Candy2o sprayed over some Rust-0leum custom wheel paint that is a silver flake. Makes a good metalflake base for the candy colors. I also have been mixing the colors to create my own colors. 

TAM you might find your reddish gold color here, all depends on your base coats.  Tequila Yellow over metallic gold might be what you are looking for ?

I tried to mix a Candy Apple Red but a true Candy Apple Red has a gold base coat. I ended up mixing Candy Blood Red with a bit of Tequila Yellow over a silver flake base.

 

Edited by Jon Haigwood
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw somewhere within this thread that someone was concerned or mentioned that some Createx paints were for fabrics. That's true and is what 4030 was made for, to convert those paints or any in the Createx line really, to a urethane for use on hard surfaces like plastics. You only need about 10% 4030 to do this, though more can be used. It also helps flow and leveling. It's clear so you can also use it as an intercoat between colors. It works to harden the original Createx Opaque colors as well. Sorry if all this was mentioned already or in the attached video further back in the thread.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 hours ago, Jon Haigwood said:

I have been using Createx paints (Wicked Colors, Pearlized, Metalics and Candi2o). I suggest you watch the youtube videos from Createx (there are many) for proper mixing and spraying. Lately I have been using the Candy2o sprayed over some Rust-0leum custom wheel paint that is a silver flake. Makes a good metalflake base for the candy colors. I also have been mixing the colors to create my own colors. 

TAM you might find your reddish gold color here, all depends on your base coats.  Tequila Yellow over metallic gold might be what you are looking for ?

I tried to mix a Candy Apple Red but a true Candy Apple Red has a gold base coat. I ended up mixing Candy Blood Red with a bit of Tequila Yellow over a silver flake base.

 

Thanks Jon, I'll check it out.  I've been using Createx mostly pearls for a few years but never tried the Candy2o line.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, Dave G. said:

I saw somewhere within this thread that someone was concerned or mentioned that some Createx paints were for fabrics. That's true and is what 4030 was made for, to convert those paints or any in the Createx line really, to a urethane for use on hard surfaces like plastics. You only need about 10% 4030 to do this, though more can be used. It also helps flow and leveling. It's clear so you can also use it as an intercoat between colors. It works to harden the original Createx Opaque colors as well. Sorry if all this was mentioned already or in the attached video further back in the thread.

Hi there Dave. I knew I could count on you to comment on painting😀.  I do put a few drops of the 4030 with the 4012 thinner when I use the Createx.

Thanks Buddy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Thanks Jon, I'll check it out.  I've been using Createx mostly pearls for a few years but never tried the Candy2o line.

If you buy Candy2o paint be sure and get the 4050 UVLS Clear Gloss mixing ratio is about 1 to 1. You will also need some 4011 Reducers as the UVLs is rather thick,  

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Hi there Dave. I knew I could count on you to comment on painting😀.  I do put a few drops of the 4030 with the 4012 thinner when I use the Createx.

Thanks Buddy.

With just a few drops of 4030 that may work Mike but really 4011 or 4013 should be used with Createx clears and the balancing 4030 in particular according to the spec data sheets. Some folks have had gelling problems with 4012 and 4030 in combination. Just sayin.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

With just a few drops of 4030 that may work Mike but really 4011 or 4013 should be used with Createx clears and the balancing 4030 in particular according to the spec data sheets. Some folks have had gelling problems with 4012 and 4030 in combination. Just sayin.

I tried some 4012 and it clumped up the paint. Not sure if it is usable for other paints or not

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Createx in their data page for their products doesn't list 4012 any longer so they may be phasing it out. I have no issue with 4011 and they say 4013 is a bit slower drying is all than 4011 but otherwise the same compatibility with additives. I didn't know it but I saw a video yesterday in fact, that 4011 actually came out to address gel and clumping problems. I also saw a video a few months ago put out by Createx saying to avoid 4012, go with 4011. So they must know there is an issue with 4012, we may be just seeing old stock on the shelves at this point. I'm no Createx expert but if their own instructional video says to avoid the stuff I'm just about smart enough to do that.

By the way I don't use Createx on models and not saying I wouldn't . But I use it in artwork and for stenciling fabrics. I'm just passing on what I've learned in the process. On models for candy I basecoat with whatever, most often though Rose Gold craft paint, awesome color for candy base IMO ( it can't quite decide if wants to be silver or gold which matches my ability to decide lol, but with that touch of rose in it), then candy coat with Tamiya clear colors acrylic. If they don't have the color I want then I mix my own. That's a buff-able finish too, you can clear it but to me it doesn't need it. You already have primer, a base color then shiny clear color over that. I can imagine a pearl base being awesome too but I just reach for that rose gold personally.

 

Edited by Dave G.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Dave G. said:

Createx in their data page for their products doesn't list 4012 any longer so they may be phasing it out. I have no issue with 4011 and they say 4013 is a bit slower drying is all than 4011 but otherwise the same compatibility with additives. I didn't know it but I saw a video yesterday in fact, that 4011 actually came out to address gel and clumping problems. I also saw a video a few months ago put out by Createx saying to avoid 4012, go with 4011. So they must know there is an issue with 4012, we may be just seeing old stock on the shelves at this point. I'm no Createx expert but if their own instructional video says to avoid the stuff I'm just about smart enough to do that.

By the way I don't use Createx on models and not saying I wouldn't . But I use it in artwork and for stenciling fabrics. I'm just passing on what I've learned in the process. On models for candy I basecoat with whatever, most often though Rose Gold craft paint, awesome color for candy base IMO ( it can't quite decide if wants to be silver or gold which matches my ability to decide lol, but with that touch of rose in it), then candy coat with Tamiya clear colors acrylic. If they don't have the color I want then I mix my own. That's a buff-able finish too, you can clear it but to me it doesn't need it. You already have primer, a base color then shiny clear color over that. I can imagine a pearl base being awesome too but I just reach for that rose gold personally.

 

Thanks for some more input Dave.  I actually miss-stated on the thinner.  I do actually use the 4011.  At any rate, I can't say I have had jelling but it does seem to thicken somewhat quickly after sitting a while.

I'm intrigued by the rose gold craft paint. Would you tell me what brand it is?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

 

I'm intrigued by the rose gold craft paint. Would you tell me what brand it is?

Yes Mike,the rose Gold I have in two brands I believe, which are Craft Smart and Folk Art. I may even have it in DecoArt if I dig around a little. Each is a little different from the other. The one I've used most though is the Craft Smart to which I use my thinner and I believe you have the recipe for that to use with it. Don't use my thinner in DecoArt though, it could gel.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 minutes ago, Dave G. said:

Yes Mike,the rose Gold I have in two brands I believe, which are Craft Smart and Folk Art. I may even have it in DecoArt if I dig around a little. Each is a little different from the other. The one I've used most though is the Craft Smart to which I use my thinner and I believe you have the recipe for that to use with it. Don't use my thinner in DecoArt though, it could gel.

 

Should be going to HL Tuesday so I'll check out the rose golds.   Interesting that your thinner "blend" causes gelling with teh Fold Art.  Wonder what the reason would be for that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I really like using Createx paints, as well as craft paints. I use their 4011 Reducer, 4030 Balancing Clear, and 5607 Retarder when mixing pretty much at their recommended ratios and they spray very well. I tested Transparent Deep Red, but it seemed too dark to get a good idea on transparency. The UVLS 4050 Gloss Clear is a great clear coat as well and I have started using it as my go-to clear. The '29 Ford Roadster is Pearl Plum over a Metallic Charcoal Gray base, the '55 Chevy Cameo is Pearl Turquoise over a medium gray primer, and the '67 Shelby Mustang is Pearl Tangerine over a Metallic Gray base, all with UVLS 4050 Clear for an idea of how they look.

5a.JPEG

17a.JPEG

6.JPEG

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

Should be going to HL Tuesday so I'll check out the rose golds.   Interesting that your thinner "blend" causes gelling with teh Fold Art.  Wonder what the reason would be for that.

No not Folk Art, it works fine in that. I use a different blend for Deco Art Mike. And not all Deco Art gels with my basic thinner but enough to where I altered my blend for that brand craft paint. It's the IPA that gels it, I took out the IPA and put in acrylic airbrush medium in it's place or US Art Supply acrylic thinner in it's place, either works.

Edited by Dave G.
Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I really like using Createx paints, as well as craft paints. I use their 4011 Reducer, 4030 Balancing Clear, and 5607 Retarder when mixing pretty much at their recommended ratios and they spray very well. I tested Transparent Deep Red, but it seemed too dark to get a good idea on transparency. The UVLS 4050 Gloss Clear is a great clear coat as well and I have started using it as my go-to clear. The '29 Ford Roadster is Pearl Plum over a Metallic Charcoal Gray base, the '55 Chevy Cameo is Pearl Turquoise over a medium gray primer, and the '67 Shelby Mustang is Pearl Tangerine over a Metallic Gray base, all with UVLS 4050 Clear for an idea of how they look.

5a.JPEG

17a.JPEG

6.JPEG

These are all very natural looking paint jobs Craig, and I like that. It offers a realistic appeal to me at least.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, Dave G. said:

No not Folk Art, it works fine in that. I use a different blend for Deco Art Mike. And not all Deco Art gels with my basic thinner but enough to where I altered my blend for that brand craft paint. It's the IPA that gels it, I took out the IPA and put in acrylic airbrush medium in it's place or US Art Supply acrylic thinner in it's place, either works.

Oops, I was thinking you said the Folk Art....my old man reading comprehension is diminishing I guess😂

I have used the Createx 4011 in the craft paint.  I would have to look back at our diacussion about your thinner blend Dave.  Would you please refresh my memory of the ingredients and quantity of each if you have time.

Thanks, Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

15 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I really like using Createx paints, as well as craft paints. I use their 4011 Reducer, 4030 Balancing Clear, and 5607 Retarder when mixing pretty much at their recommended ratios and they spray very well. I tested Transparent Deep Red, but it seemed too dark to get a good idea on transparency. The UVLS 4050 Gloss Clear is a great clear coat as well and I have started using it as my go-to clear. The '29 Ford Roadster is Pearl Plum over a Metallic Charcoal Gray base, the '55 Chevy Cameo is Pearl Turquoise over a medium gray primer, and the '67 Shelby Mustang is Pearl Tangerine over a Metallic Gray base, all with UVLS 4050 Clear for an idea of how they look.

5a.JPEG

17a.JPEG

6.JPEG

Great looking paint work Craig.  Are those the Createx Pearls?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, TransAmMike said:

Oops, I was thinking you said the Folk Art....my old man reading comprehension is diminishing I guess😂

I have used the Createx 4011 in the craft paint.  I would have to look back at our diacussion about your thinner blend Dave.  Would you please refresh my memory of the ingredients and quantity of each if you have time.

Thanks, Mike

If the 4011 worked in the craft paint, might as well just use that Mike . I've never tried that so have no gauge for comparison.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...