Model Cars Magazine Forum

What airbrush will do this?

I'm looking for a gravity fed airbrush that has a wide pattern and works good at lower psi (>20).  I think I would get better results faster and easier if I could spray bodies with a wider pattern that I could lay down nice, thin coats of paint at lower psi.  Something that is easy to clean would be a bonus too.

Thanks @Miatatom & @Glen Powers!

They both look perfect.. I'm going to be investigating them further.  I'm a big fan of GSI Creos paints so I might be swinging that way now.. it is less expensive too and I think @StevenGuthmiller uses one too from my research.  But I also have heard great things about the Grex pistol grips.  Will be a tough decision but there doesn't seem to be many more options out there except maybe a jamb gun.

8 hours ago, jchrisf said:

Thanks @Miatatom & @Glen Powers!

They both look perfect.. I'm going to be investigating them further.  I'm a big fan of GSI Creos paints so I might be swinging that way now.. it is less expensive too and I think @StevenGuthmiller uses one too from my research.  But I also have heard great things about the Grex pistol grips.  Will be a tough decision but there doesn't seem to be many more options out there except maybe a jamb gun.

I usually use between 30 or 40 psi with my PS-290.

I have not tried it with pressures as low as 20 psi, but my understanding is that a larger volume air supply works better for this higher volume air brush.

Steve

10 hours ago, Miatatom said:

I haven't tried a pressure that high but will give it a try.

what pressure do you use?

11 hours ago, StevenGuthmiller said:

I usually use between 30 or 40 psi with my PS-290.

I have not tried it with pressures as low as 20 psi, but my understanding is that a larger volume air supply works better for this higher volume air brush.

Steve

I looked at some reviews and one guy says he sprays all the way down at 10psi.  Most others said they have to use more air.. but I watched a couple of YT videos and even though they were using more pressure it wasn't overpowering their paint booths so I should be good.  I have a 26 gallon tank so I have plenty of pressure I just don't want to overpower my paint booth since I paint inside.  This Creos 290 looks like it atomizes the paint really well without too much paint going everywhere.

Chris, I subscribe to the 'thin, soft, close" method. Thin paint, low pressure, close to the target, for me I feel it results in less overspray/orange peel. It seems when it comes to airbrushing just about everyone has a method that works for them and you will no doubt develop your own also.

Glen 

Edited by Glen Powers
spelling error

39 minutes ago, Glen Powers said:

Chris, I subscribe to the 'thin, soft, close" method. Thin paint, low pressure, close to the target, for me I feel it results in less overspray/orange peel. It seems when it comes to airbrushing just about everyone has a method that works for them and you will no doubt develop your own also.

Glen 

Glen, that is exactly how the 1:1 guys do it.. I'm trying to get closer with less pressure and thinner paint like you said but my current airbrushes just do a fine line at that distance and why I think I need one of these.

6 minutes ago, jchrisf said:

Glen, that is exactly how the 1:1 guys do it.. I'm trying to get closer with less pressure and thinner paint like you said but my current airbrushes just do a fine line at that distance and why I think I need one of these.

Paasche Talon offers an additional fan cap as well ( seems to me the cap and nozzle combo is $10 or so). It's used with the .66 needle but it's double action so you don't have to pull back all the way if you want less paint. I believe the pattern is around 3".

1 hour ago, Glen Powers said:

Chris, I subscribe to the 'thin, soft, close" method. Thin paint, low pressure, close to the target

Glen 

At times I get some orange peel shooting in the 20s. I'm going to try dropping some press when using the PS-290. What pressure do you use?

7 hours ago, Dave G. said:

Paasche Talon offers an additional fan cap as well ( seems to me the cap and nozzle combo is $10 or so). It's used with the .66 needle but it's double action so you don't have to pull back all the way if you want less paint. I believe the pattern is around 3".

I've been looking at that one too Dave.  Right now I am leaning more for the Creos but you never know :)

Edited by jchrisf