Model Cars Magazine Forum

Modified Maverick

dragcarz

I was always amazed how the stands would empty after the Pro’s ran. Don’t get me wrong, I always enjoyed watching the between rounds thrash to get to the next round, but there was some very exciting racing going on during that time. Comp, Modified, Super Stock and even the Stock classes were great to watch. I particularly liked Modified, and I hated it when they did away with the class. These were stock bodied cars with any American engine, mostly very hi- revving small blocks 4 speed trans missions, wheel standing starts, running in the 10s. Great stuff!

One of the builds on my list for some time now has been the Cross & Reher Modified Maverick. Reher is David Reher,  is part of the famous Reher & Morrison pro stock fame. Bobby Cross went on after parting with David to field several of his own successful modified cars.

Slixx Decals printed the decals for this car on  their #08 Quarter panel Decal sheet. I remembered reading about this car and after searching through hundreds of back issued magazines, I found the Car Craft magazine that featured an article on the car. The Maverick was powered by a 302 Chevy engine, Muncie 4 speed, Chevy drive shaft, and a 12 Bolt Chevy rear axle.

Back in 2017 I posted a repair I did on an EBay  Maverick find where the rear wheel openings were butchered and I repaired them. I’m finally getting back to this build. I’ve collected parts from AMT 67 Mustang and the Revell Nova kits to do the build . 

8E987BF7-DEED-4830-9F05-39308A862B28.jpeg

F8638F8C-6B33-42A3-A92D-5BB5AA798981.jpeg

9789C67A-5278-4CB5-AB40-1977016797FB.jpeg

C0DB1B26-404B-4B31-8DCC-ABA7B228DE2C.png

C5CDD00D-CCAF-4B5A-8705-838C6B1DE703.png

9 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Very very VERY most way cool project! And it would be eligible and most welcomed into our famous Bring Out Your Dead completion build if want to join. Good luck and drive on! B)

Thanks for the invite, what do I need to do?

3 hours ago, dragcarz said:

Thanks for the invite, what do I need to do?

Just post a picture of the condition it's in now, and tell us how long ago you started it and how long it's been stalled. Deadline for completion this round is September 30. We do allow extension for ONE additional round (3 months) if you don't make it, but we don't let things drag out forever--the idea after all is to GITTER DONE! B) 

2 hours ago, Snake45 said:

Just post a picture of the condition it's in now, and tell us how long ago you started it and how long it's been stalled. Deadline for completion this round is September 30. We do allow extension for ONE additional round (3 months) if you don't make it, but we don't let things drag out forever--the idea after all is to GITTER DONE! B) 

September 30......that’s not very long?

40 minutes ago, dragcarz said:

September 30......that’s not very long

It's six weeks, but seeing the amount of work you have/want to do, I can see that it would be tight. I wouldn't want you to rush it just for the sake of a stupid group build. 

But if you do want to participate, you can wait and "register" it after the 1st of October (assuming, as always, that there will BE another round), which deadline would be December 31. 

Or as I said, you can go ahead and join now, and then "extend" through the end of the year. That's 4 1/2 months. 

It's completely up to you. We'd be glad to have you aboard, but if you decide the group build's not for you, that's fine too. Drive on and model well! B)

• 2 weeks later...

Ok I’ve finally got a couple things finished up and I can concentrate on the Maverick. When I started this, I pulled the AMT 67 Mustang kit for the chassis as the original Johan chassis leaves a lot to be desired, and the one that came with mine was a mess. I pulled several other kits for other options, the AMT 67 Shelby Mustang has the same parts as the AMT 67 Mustang, the 68 AMT Shelby Mustang is old school with an inaccurate chassis pan, seems like the 67 chassis parts would fall into the 68, making it a much better build. I tried the Revell 69 Mustang SCJ kit and it’s not a good fit. The Revell 68 Mustang needs way too much work to work. 
Returning to my original thought, and test fitting it, it’s amazing how well the firewall fits. The front frame rails need shortening only a small amount. I had already removed the fuel tank from the Maverick and the Mustang . I will use the Maverick tank. 
The rule book states no light weight aftermarket seats, any factory seat is allowable. I have no reference for the interior of the actual car, so I may have to get creative.

I used a Comp resin Grumpys toy scoop and cut the end off at an angle , looks pretty good. 

4F9A5F5E-58CE-40AA-A0AD-DE3E2C7AAFF7.jpeg

D6328721-6A19-42E1-B874-6B5A3552A343.jpeg

4890092C-EA79-4F3D-B7DD-6596C3DC8765.jpeg

A40D118A-01B4-45A1-AFB4-368680EF5924.jpeg

The '67 Mustang chassis does look like a good fit.  I'm using the chassis from the Mobius A/FX Comet for my "65 Falcon AWB project - might be worth looking into for your project.  The stock Comet chassis might be better choice as the A/FX kit has the raised front suspension and your Maverick looks like it had a nose down stance.    

Moebius "Dyno Don" Nicholson 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone SOHC 427 A/FXMOEBIUS MODELS 1:25 1965 Mercury Comet Cyclone Plastic Model Kit ...

I adapted the traction bars from the Revel T-Bolt kit. 

DSCN5999

Looking good and interesting twist on the Maverick builds both under construction 

and finished recently posted on the forum. 

The chassis you've chosen is IMOO the best suited. One thing I'm thinking is that

it might look better with some easily added torque boxes. I'm currently gathering 

information on Pro Stock Mavericks and typical modifications made back in the

day, have gathered pics and some magazine articles. But some of that stuff is 

lost in a vast photo collection of which I didn't take proper care to organize.?

defiantly following ?

I actually looked into the Comet chassis, and the rules for Modified stated stock chassis so the Mustang is a better fit for this particular car.

I’m getting stuff done today. I shortened the front rails, and pinned them for strength as I knew this thing was going through a lot of trial and error and I needed it as strong as possible. In the last photo you can see the difference compared to an original chassis.

F7E8B6A0-A9F8-4F70-90DE-02287829BA1F.jpeg

BBF63509-3D9E-4F92-B938-7F1C18F539DD.jpeg

3C34B691-969A-4FBA-A151-F79865231BA6.jpeg

C6124C37-45CD-4F10-B403-9DD51243C74E.jpeg

96AB5FEE-3BE3-46D0-9D00-A7E406373DB4.jpeg