Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Dodge Dart Sportsman Kit Car

Reeves Racing

6 hours ago, ZTony8 said:

How much difficulty did you have building the front suspension? That's what's been stopping my completion of this kit. There are no indicated mounting points for the upper control arms.

I glued the cage part of the front end to the frame and just used the firewall as a guide. I didn't install the firewall at that time. I cut the molded in front shocks off and put them back on later. I used a little Tamiya putty to smooth out where the separate parts of the front cage joined together, then I primed and painted the frame with the front cage as a unit. 

I painted the lower control arms and upper control  arms black. When I put them on my kit has two raised spots to locate the upper control arms on the top of the frame rail. After they were installed is when I put the shocks back on.

With the shocks molded on you would have to put all that together at the same time because the shocks go through the opening in the upper control arms/A frames.

I found it easier to put together and paint my way.

The sun was setting when I took the pictures so they aren't the best. Sorry about that. I have stopped taking pictures while I'm building so there aren't any wip pictures. 

Edited by Reeves Racing

1 hour ago, Reeves Racing said:

I glued the cage part of the front end to the frame and just used the firewall as a guide. I didn't install the firewall at that time. I cut the molded in front shocks off and put them back on later. I used a little Tamiya putty to smooth out where the separate parts of the front cage joined together, then I primed and painted the frame with the front cage as a unit. 

I painted the lower control arms and upper control  arms black. When I put them on my kit has two raised spots to locate the upper control arms on the top of the frame rail. After they were installed is when I put the shocks back on.

With the shocks molded on you would have to put all that together at the same time because the shocks go through the opening in the upper control arms/A frames.

I found it easier to put together and paint my way.

The sun was setting when I took the pictures so they aren't the best. Sorry about that. I have stopped taking pictures while I'm building so there aren't any wip pictures. 

I saw the raised spots but they're not in the same place on each side of the frame. I had attached the lower arms/ torsion bars first as a placement guide which didn't help. That's why the thing sits in the box, unfinished.

On 8/23/2020 at 4:29 AM, ZTony8 said:

I saw the raised spots but they're not in the same place on each side of the frame. I had attached the lower arms/ torsion bars first as a placement guide which didn't help. That's why the thing sits in the box, unfinished.

Mitch, that is a nice clean build of a challenging kit.  I did mine as the Petty version out of the box and really enjoyed it but as you know, there are a lot of things with regard to the front and rear suspension, the engine size and exhausts and certain areas of the rollcage that make it a handful.

Tony, you are dead right about this kit being a awkward but it is still well worth the effort.  I extended the frame on my Petty car, just behind where the subframe joins the main frame.  This helps put the tyres in the centre of the wheelarchesa s they should be.  I also sanded down the wheel backs and really hacked into the discs to narrow the track and get the tyres back inside the openings.  I would strongly recommend that when you do your final assembly, you use Testors tube glue, the one everyone hates, to give you lots of working time as you set up the positioning of the suspension arms to get everything where it should be.

Cheers

Alan

On 8/26/2020 at 1:36 AM, alan barton said:

Mitch, that is a nice clean build of a challenging kit.  I did mine as the Petty version out of the box and really enjoyed it but as you know, there are a lot of things with regard to the front and rear suspension, the engine size and exhausts and certain areas of the rollcage that make it a handful.

Tony, you are dead right about this kit being a awkward but it is still well worth the effort.  I extended the frame on my Petty car, just behind where the subframe joins the main frame.  This helps put the tyres in the centre of the wheelarchesa s they should be.  I also sanded down the wheel backs and really hacked into the discs to narrow the track and get the tyres back inside the openings.  I would strongly recommend that when you do your final assembly, you use Testors tube glue, the one everyone hates, to give you lots of working time as you set up the positioning of the suspension arms to get everything where it should be.

Cheers

Alan

I was re-reading an article in an old issue of Scale Auto about the development of the kit and it mentioned how the wheelbase differed from the Dart and Duster versions of the  cars so AMT compromised on the wheelbase.