Model Cars Magazine Forum

Mould Making, but not model cars....yet!

doorsovdoon

Had an order in for ten radio fascias for the Ford Capri and Morris Marina, it hadn't really occurred to me until recently that I could easily make re-pops of model kit parts! Something I think I might get into but we'll see, anyway, here's some pics of some of the castings, moulds, and various finished 1-1 car parts.

20201023_153457.JPG

2016-03-15 21.33.27.jpg

20160130_214107.JPG

pic d.JPG

Picture ELEVEN.jpg

Various Fascia Plates.JPG

You sure have the skills and materials for casting model parts.

The parts you are casting look really nice, but what is in the first photo. It does look like a rubber mould for some radio bezel, but it is full of bubbles.  That wouldn't make a good casting.

13 hours ago, peteski said:

You sure have the skills and materials for casting model parts.

The parts you are casting look really nice, but what is in the first photo. It does look like a rubber mould for some radio bezel, but it is full of bubbles.  That wouldn't make a good casting.

The first picture is of a Ford Capri radio fascia surround. It's a two part mould and those areas with the bubbles don't get filled with resin, they press together leaving only the cavity around it ready to fill.

25 minutes ago, peteski said:

Ah, I see what you mean now.  Interesting how you were able to prevent bubbles in the important areas but not elsewhere in the moulds.

It depends on what the silicone is pored on, I think I used an old piece of wooden plank and plywood to make a box, it was probably covered in dirt too. So long as the part you want to cast is clean and you dribble the silicone in one area so that it flows over the part slowly there's no bubbles.

• 2 weeks later...