Model Cars Magazine Forum

1971 Ford F100 Ranger Pickup

So, a little story about those Ford fuel pumps. Growing up my father had a 68 Ford F350 4 door truck that he stretched the frame to add an 8 foot bed. We then hauled our camper shell and a 26ft trailer with it. 

In 1986 Canada was home to the Worlds Fair, Expo 86. We lived in Oregon so it was close and we took this truck. Somewhere over the boarder we stopped for gas. My dad looked under the truck and gas was leaking everywhere. There was a rust hole in the hanging filter on the fuel pump, just like the one in the kit. (390 FE)

He went into the station store and bought 4 packs of bubble gum and had us all chew it. He then cleaned the filter bowl and packed it full of all the chewed gum and added duct tape just to be sure. We then drove the remaining 50+ miles to the campground we had booked for the night. A visit to a local wrecking yard the next day got us a new bowl. Bubble gum saved the day. 

Those fuel pump bowls collected water and then rusted out. It was a fun trip in that old Ford, and that was only one of the problems we had that trip, good times. 

The Story

McNally tells the cops how he is searching for Rhonda Hawkins and shows them a picture of her and Off. Casey Westerfield says they will search for her as well between calls.  McNally appreciates the extra help they can offer, even if it is a few minutes here and there.  The two cops get another call and they must depart.  McNally starts his search over again.

The Build

I finished the 390 CID engine this afternoon.  I glued the fuel filter back on after wiring the engine and I added the air cleaner decal and a Fram decal to the oil filter.

McNally will return...

Ranger16.JPG

Ranger17.JPG

Ranger18.JPG

On 11/9/2020 at 5:51 PM, mrmike said:

Guido, I hope your body is nice and square!

Thanks Mike!! I opened the 1970 4X4 box and I lightly blended in the sprue attachment points on the cab and set it on a flat surface..... I did the same with the hood also... So far, so good! ?? 

Your motor is looking great!.... ??

Edited by Deuces ll

On 11/13/2020 at 8:24 PM, mrmike said:

The Story

McNally tells the cops how he is searching for Rhonda Hawkins and shows them a picture of her and Off. Casey Westerfield says they will search for her as well between calls.  McNally appreciates the extra help they can offer, even if it is a few minutes here and there.  The two cops get another call and they must depart.  McNally starts his search over again.

The Build

I finished the 390 CID engine this afternoon.  I glued the fuel filter back on after wiring the engine and I added the air cleaner decal and a Fram decal to the oil filter.

McNally will return...

Ranger16.JPG

Ranger17.JPG

Ranger18.JPG

Very nice engine Mike...

• 2 weeks later...

I have been rereading the instructions and staring at the box art again and I have decided to go with the deluxe tu-tone paint scheme (orange over white) instead of the combination tu-tone paint scheme (white, orange, white).  I once had a '79 F150 with the deluxe tu-tone paint scheme (silver and dark blue) and it just seems simpler and more attractive to me.  

That is an excellent idea, Dennis!  I'll have to give it a try!  Thanks!

The Story

McNally drives along on Shallotte St. and he hears the dog barking again and he stops and listens.  The barking seems closer than it was earlier this afternoon.  He continues driving and he looks up the driveway to a warehouse and he sees the dog that is barking and barking.  McNally drives up to the barking dog and he stops just short of the warehouse corner and he gets out of his car and slowly walks over to the dog as he approaches the corner he sees a foot on the ground and he goes over to body.  It is Rhonda Hawkins and she is unconscious, but alive!

The Build

I have painted the wheels with Model Master Wimbledon White and the chassis has been painted with Tamiya Semi Gloss Black.

McNally will return...

Ranger19.JPG

Ranger20.JPG

Ranger21.JPG

Since I had the can of Wimbledon White out, I painted a few more parts.  I painted the seat, but I won't clearcoat it since I like the color and finish for a parchment colored seat.

Ranger22.JPG

Ranger23.JPG

Ranger24.JPG

Edited by mrmike

The Story

McNally calls 9-1-1 and requests an ambulance and the Police to come to the scene.  He places his rolled-up jacket under Rhonda's head and he looks around the area for any clues and he doesn't see any in the dark.  He looks the dog over who has since quieted down some and he gets his bottle of water and he finds an old hub cap and pours some of the water in and he tries to give some to Rhonda.  He hears sirens coming and then an ambulance pulls up behind his car and stops.  A short while later, a Police cruiser arrives.

The Build

The chassis is painted and assembled!  The engine has been detailed and wired.  The wheel covers have been painted with Model Master Gunmetal Metalizer and a silver Sharpie.

McNally will return...

Ranger25.JPG

Ranger26.JPG

Ranger27.JPG

The Story

McNally calls 9-1-1 and requests an ambulance and the Police immediately to the old warehouse at the end of Shallotte St.  He places his rolled up jacket under her head and he looks for something to put water in for the abandoned dog and he finds an old hubcap.  The dog laps up all the water and McNally pours somemore into the hubcap and he tries to give some to Rhonda.  The ambulance and the Police arrive and he stands out of the way so they can work on her.  The abandoned dog will be picked up by Animal Control per McNally's request and he also calls Jesse to tell him that he found his wife.

The Build

Paint was flying today as I painted the interior door panels, dash, hood, cab and bed with Testors Competition Orange Enamel aka Coral.  This should look great with the W'imbeldon White that I had masked over.  I am not a fan of enamel spray paint, but this is an older can that I got from a fellow CPMC member and it has plenty of pigment in it.

McNally will return...

Ranger28.JPG

Ranger29.JPG

Ranger30.JPG