Model Cars Magazine Forum

Help opening and hinging doors

Ric

Hello fellow modelers,

I'm building the Pro Street '66 Nova, turning into a Nitro Pro Mod car. I'd really like to open the doors to show off all the hand fabricated parts that I have (roll cage, etc). I've been through three bodies so far and have bought a fourth one that I haven't touched yet, trying to make everything line up/fit and the hinges open freely, but haven't had any luck so far. At this point, I'm either going to not open them, or pay someone a fair fee to do it for me. I'm not a kid, in fact, I'm 61 years old. That may be the problem, as my hands aren't as steady as they used to be. I'd obviously be willing to pay shipping fees to and from.  I've watched several videos about how to do it, but I just can't make it happen. I also won't be buying any more bodies. All help would be much appreciated. 

Thanks,  Ric Hayslip 20201103_131217.jpg.b1abcbd5cf20352e3e4ab73549953524.jpg

20200923_182740.jpg

Although I greatly appreciate the video and the tips, at this point, I don't have enough confidence in myself to cut open the fourth body. One of the main problems is how weak and easy to break the A pillar and the thin strip of the area that's left directly under the doors becomes. Is there a way to strengthen these areas before the doors are cut out?

3 hours ago, Ric said:

Although I greatly appreciate the video and the tips, at this point, I don't have enough confidence in myself to cut open the fourth body. One of the main problems is how weak and easy to break the A pillar and the thin strip of the area that's left directly under the doors becomes. Is there a way to strengthen these areas before the doors are cut out?

Ric, I'm going to be honest about what I see. It looks like you used a Sawz-All to cut that door open. Finesse is the key. Forget about using X-Acto saw blades or the back side of a #11 blade to open doors and trunks. Neither is precise enough. Get yourself some dedicated scribing blades such as these HQT Tools Stainless Scribers. They are extremely thin and have a narrow kerf which allows for precision removal of plastic from around the doors. The result will be a nice, clean and even gap. It's a $7 investment which will save you more in the long run.

HQT004 Stainless scribers

2 hours ago, SfanGoch said:

Ric, I'm going to be honest about what I see. It looks like you used a Sawz-All to cut that door open. Finesse is the key. Forget about using X-Acto saw blades or the back side of a #11 blade to open doors and trunks. Neither is precise enough. Get yourself some dedicated scribing blades such as these HQT Tools Stainless Scribers. They are extremely thin and have a narrow kerf which allows for precision removal of plastic from around the doors. The result will be a nice, clean and even gap. It's a $7 investment which will save you more in the long run.

HQT004 Stainless scribers

Well, I didn't use a Sawzall, but I might as well have. That was my first attempt, and I did it with an X-Acto knife. Do the blades you describe fit in the X-Acto handle?

Yes, they fit the hobby knife (X-acto) handles, but they are very thin and some handles have blade chusks that do not close tight enough to hold it securely.  Then you have to make a spacer and chuck both the blade, and the spacer in the chuck for tight fit.

You might also want to review a sticky thread in this forum:

Yes, it goes back to 2007, but it has lots of useful info.

Another technique for opening doors is to use 2 bodies. Cut the door  opening on one and the cut the door with extra material and fit it to the first.

What condition are the other two bodies? You could add plastic to shim the doors to fit the body. The picture of the body shown doesn't look salvageable because of the broken pillar. 

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

Another technique for opening doors is to use 2 bodies. Cut the door  opening on one and the cut the door with extra material and fit it to the first.

What condition are the other two bodies? You could add plastic to shim the doors to fit the body. The picture of the body shown doesn't look salvageable because of the broken pillar. 

You're right, it isn't salvageable. I'm still contemplating not opening the doors at all. I'd really rather pay someone to do it for me. 

2 hours ago, bobthehobbyguy said:

I'm still contemplating not opening the doors at all. At this point, I'd rather pay someone to do it for me.