Model Cars Magazine Forum

Chevrolet Caprice RCMP

Captain Spaulding

On 1/2/2021 at 3:52 AM, Captain Spaulding said:

Question for the experts out there, the lights on the light bar call for clear red which I don't have. No hobby shops in my area anymore and currently under lockdown here again so not much open. Called a few shops hours away and one had some but said shipping would be 18 dollars which I told him it would be a frosty day in hell before I pay that much shipping for paint.

My question is their any way to thin red paint enough and if so how much mixture should I use or just paint it red and be done with it?

Tamiya makes a nice clear red, I use it all the time. Amazon has it for $5.69 with free shipping in the US, I don't know about Canada.

https://smile.amazon.com/Enamel-Clear-80027-Tamiya-TAMIYA/dp/B06VTVCL4J/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1YTT0CZD7I97N&dchild=1&keywords=tamiya+clear+red&qid=1610472515&sprefix=tamiya+clea%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-3

Edited by 1967RMP
wrong link

3 hours ago, 1967RMP said:

Tamiya makes a nice clear red, I use it all the time. Amazon has it for $5.69 with free shipping in the US, I don't know about Canada.

https://smile.amazon.com/Enamel-Clear-80027-Tamiya-TAMIYA/dp/B06VTVCL4J/ref=sr_1_3?crid=1YTT0CZD7I97N&dchild=1&keywords=tamiya+clear+red&qid=1610472515&sprefix=tamiya+clea%2Caps%2C212&sr=8-3

Checked that link and they don't ship to Canada, something to do with hazardous materials. Didn't know model paint classified as that. One other seller in the uk, lots of complaints about his items taking months to arrive

2 hours ago, GLMFAA1 said:

You might try to see if an auto store would have taillight tape and just wrap the light bar with it. What are they call 'Canadian Tire' do you have AutoZone or NAPA?

greg

1 hour ago, iamsuperdan said:

Hmm...I wonder if trimming some red Tuck Tape would be transparent enough for the lights?

Never thougth about that, if I'm out before Thursday when our stay at home order starts I'll get some and see if it works. 

Edited by Captain Spaulding

Got the interior put together and all the police radio equipment installed. May put a set of hazzard lights from my parts box in the back window if I can trim them down enough 

Two of the decals I used on the interior thankfully had no issues so hoping when I put the ones on the body I have the same luck.

20210113_095134.jpg

3 hours ago, ModelcarJR said:

Jason, you should spray a light coat of clear lacquer on the decals to help keep them intact and doesn't affect the thickness with a light coat. I have done it many times and it seems to help. Good luck with your build! 

Thanks pal I'll give that a try and see how it comes out.