Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/24 Italeri Scania R730 "Team Chimera"

Looks nice.

But you know the engine is wrong for this truck don't you?
This is basically the old outdated DS14 V8 from the first 142H kits from the early 80's with a few updated parts to make it look more like an intercooled DSC14, the V-shaped rocker covers are a direct give-away.
The newer DC16 engine wich all Scania trucks with V8's after the year 2000 should have looks totally different and has rectangular shaped rocker covers and the only thing the DS14/DSC14 and DC16 has in common is that both are V8's, but Italeri didn't bother to do it right.
Unfortunately Italeri like to take shortcuts and I bought lots of Italeri kits back in the 80's and 90's , mostly Scanias and Volvos, but when I discovered the inaccuracies and shortcuts taken with the later kits I got disappointed sold off mostly everything I had as I don't like to build inaccurate models.
I can't understand why the aftermarket haven't been all over this and made correct engines and gearboxes for the European truck kits...they do so much else so you can rectify the Italeri kits with suspensions, drive hubs and other stuff...but almost nothing in the engine and gearbox department...I think it's strange and with the 3D printing we have nowadays it's not that hard to do masters of these things if you are familiar with CAD.

Edited by Force

On 1/16/2021 at 9:19 AM, Force said:

Looks nice.

This is basically the old outdated DS14 V8 from the first 142H kits from the early 80's with a few updated parts to make it look more like an intercooled DSC14, the V-shaped rocker covers are a direct give-away.
The newer DC16 engine wich all Scania trucks with V8's after the year 2000 should have looks totally different and has rectangular shaped rocker covers and the only thing the DS14/DSC14 and DC16 has in common is that both are V8's, but Italeri didn't bother to do it right.
Unfortunately Italeri like to take shortcuts and I bought lots of Italeri kits back in the 80's and 90's , mostly Scanias and Volvos, but when I discovered the inaccuracies and shortcuts taken with the later kits I got disappointed sold off mostly everything I had as I don't like to build inaccurate models.
I can't understand why the aftermarket haven't been all over this and made correct engines and gearboxes for the European truck kits...they do so much else so you can rectify the Italeri kits with suspensions, drive hubs and other stuff...but almost nothing in the engine and gearbox department...I think it's strange and with the 3D printing we have nowadays it's not that hard to do masters of these things if you are familiar with CAD.

Yes, I was a bit confused when I searched for pics of the engine and different ones would appear, but I guess I found out the hard way... But thanks for the detailed info

On 1/16/2021 at 1:19 AM, Force said:

Looks nice.

Everything you said is true about the Italeri kits. However, there are those of us that just enjoy building a good quality kit and have no clue that the engine is not accurate. 

For me it is fun to just build a nice kit, make it look nice and not get all tied up about perfect accuracy. 

Tiago, you are doing a great job, looks great. Enjoy the build. 

Well I just think it's a pity that Italeri didn't do it right and cut corners in that area when mostly everything else is updated and good and the quality would have been even better if they had done it right.
If they had tooled up the DC16 engine when it came 20 years ago it would have been correct for the kits from that time up to today as the differences between the versions of them are small, so the tooling would for sure have paid for itself after 20 years of use and it will be more as this engine configuration will stay for a long time yet.

But, that doesn't take anything away from your build Tiago, you are doing a good job and I understand your confusion when you did the research and found a completely different engine than what's in the kit...now you know why.

Edited by Force

Thank you guys.

I never was a truck guy, so my confusion came when which engine was the correct one... I trusted the one that came with the kit ( there was nothing I could do tbh).

Despite not being the correct one, I still love the truck and maybe since there are tons of aftermarket parts for trucks, maybe an updated engine wouldn't be a bad call.

And again, thanks  for your info Hakan, I won't be fooled again ?

Edited by Tiago Malafaya

I don't know of anyone who makes the DC16 V8 because I haven't seen one yet or even anyone who makes parts to convert the old DS14 to look like the newer DC16.
There are loads of aftermarket parts for Scanias like correct hubs, suspensions, battery boxes, tanks, interior parts, conversion kits and lots of other stuff, but not much when it comes to engines and transmissions...I know KFS had a 6 cylinder DC13 but that looks to be out of production now.

The Italeri Volvo kits have the same problem with outdated engines as most of the kits have the TD120F from the first Volvo F12 kits from 1981.
When Italeri came with the F16 kit 1991 it should have had the then new 16.1 litre four valve per cylinder TD162 wich looks different than the old TD120, the later D16A and B wich should have been in the early FH16 kits looks basically the same as the TD162 but these kits still has the same old TD120 engine like the ones before...nordictruckdetails.com has resin valve covers available to upgrade the TD120 to look more like the TD162/D16A-B
The D16C came 2006 so all Volvo FH16 kits after that should have that one, it's different from the TD162/D16A-B as this engine has a common head and valve cover for all 6 cylinders and the older ones has one head and valve cover for each cylinder, but no updates in that area until the latest FH4 kit from 2018-19 wich finally has a later version of that particular engine...it was about time.
The FH12 should have had the D12 with a common head for all cylinders wich came 1993 (the TD120 has separate heads), and the D13 came 2005 and looks basically the same, but the early FH12 kits has the old TD120, P&B Models did a D12 in resin but it seems to have disappeared from the market.

Edited by Force

You are truly a truck encyclopedia....

I guess they presume people won't bother to see the engine, but again if they think that way, why bother producing it?

And you mean all Volvo's? because I was considering getting the new FH, but if that's the case, I might reconsider

The engine in the most recent Volvo FH4 Globetrotter XL or Medium Roof from 2018-19 can be either a D13 or a D16, both these engines looks very similar and I don't have one so I can't really tell wich one it is, but I think it's a D16E, G or the K 550hp version, the later D16K version on 650hp or 730hp Euro 6 has two turbos and it's not that one.

Edited by Force

Dude!! This is awesome... I love these trucks... I think most of my Euro trucks are Scanias... I don't know much about the engines or anything else, for that matter, and I don't really care to... I just love the way these things look... I'd love to have a Long Line conversion, but I can't find any of those, anywhere..

Beautiful build... Just beautiful... Your building technique is very good... Steady hands... Minimal adhesive... Awesome... I'm not done watching it all... I just had to comment, though... Love Scanias, Man tractors, Mercs, just to name a few... I think I love them all... You don't see those everyday over here...

Edited by kilrathy10