Model Cars Magazine Forum

Dual 1970 Pontiac Trans Ams.

Dragonhawk1066

13 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

The Trans Ams look great!

I’ve been having good results thinning with was and clearing with future. I found an old bottle of the original future under my sink.  I just posted up a ‘66 mustang body I just finished in wip.  

I bought some metallic white craft paint that I had in mind for an early Trans Am

11 hours ago, Superbird McMonte said:

They look really cool! That’s a project I’d like to take on myself. I’ll be watching intently!

Thanks guys!

13 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

They look good Craig, I'm thinking you are better off with the WS fluid.  I don't know how long you're waiting to clear but I had an experience with The 66 GT350 MUstang I'm finishing up. I got impatient and cleared it with the Rusto Acrylic Lacquer about 4 hours after spraying  the craft paint.  I used the hair dryer several times duing the wait then went ahead and sprayed it. I felt like it was my best paint job yet, just minute orange peel, looked great.  Well, after a couple of days with the clear on it I can now see a few minor scratches from the light sanding then steel wooling prior to applying the paint and ghosting of the emblems I had to remove that weren't visable after priming and painting. I guess the paint shrunk. Anyway, take it for what it's worth. I guess my impatience bit me in the azz.  I'm beginning to wonder if I'll ever get this  body painting process down.

Thanks Mike, it's really just all about getting the right consistency. I knew better on the first try that it was a little thick. I over-compensated on the second one and it was too thin. The third started too thin, then I added a little more paint and got it just right. I don't know if they need it, but I'm giving them a couple of days before a coat or two of clear so I can foil and decal them. As you just learned, I don't think the lacquer and enamel clearing after paint window applies to craft paint, especially depending on the clear. I am going to use this Gloss Varnish instead of Pledge for these, which I think is very similar to Vallejo and even Createx gloss varnishes/clears. I've used it before with great results and it can even be wet sanded after a couple of days. Patience is my worst trait as well, but that Mustang looks great and I've seen your other work, so I think you have the body painting thing down more than you realize.

321773-31-1.jpg

2 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

Thanks Mike, it's really just all about getting the right consistency. I knew better on the first try that it was a little thick. I over-compensated on the second one and it was too thin. The third started too thin, then I added a little more paint and got it just right. I don't know if they need it, but I'm giving them a couple of days before a coat or two of clear so I can foil and decal them. As you just learned, I don't think the lacquer and enamel clearing after paint window applies to craft paint, especially depending on the clear. I am going to use this Gloss Varnish instead of Pledge for these, which I think is very similar to Vallejo and even Createx gloss varnishes/clears. I've used it before with great results and it can even be wet sanded after a couple of days. Patience is my worst trait as well, but that Mustang looks great and I've seen your other work, so I think you have the body painting thing down more than you realize.

Appreciate the compliment Craig but I still have a long way to go with the painting process. I've gotten on this kick of being determined to get great results using craft paint. I just like the less messy easy cleanup with it.

8 hours ago, TransAmMike said:

I just like the less messy easy cleanup with it.

That's exactly why I use them. If I want to build in the winter, I'm using craft and acrylic paints. The wife and son are very sensitive to the solvent based spray cans, so if I do any painting it's water based paints through my airbrush. I do still use spray cans, but only in the warm months and out in the shed, lol.

I got some clear on both bodies this morning. They're not super shiny, but it's only the initial coat before BMF and decals, and they weren't miles deep in clear back in '70 anyways. I got my decals in from Keith Marks, but I think I'm going to have to wait a couple of weeks to order another set because the size script I need has only one of each color on the sheet. I also got the chassis pans painted red after research showed that they were indeed red, at least on the 90% or so I saw on google, and I sprayed the wheels in Vallejo Aluminum. Hopefully tomorrow I can wire the engines and get some dash detailing done.

DSCN6019.JPG

DSCN6025.JPG

DSCN6021.JPG

DSCN6024.JPG

DSCN6015.JPG

DSCN6026.JPG

DSCN6029.JPG

On 2/20/2021 at 11:42 AM, TransAmMike said:

Come on Craig, you didn't use craft paint on the wheels?????😂       Looking good my friend.

I know right?!?!? It was still water based though, LOL. The wheels are almost done, and the engines are wired and pretty much built. The interiors are detailed and ready for the dash decals, and the chassis and suspension pieces are painted and ready for assembly. The bodies are just waiting for me to be in the mood for BMF and then decals before final clear coat. It's been slow going, al least it seems like it, but everything should go together pretty quickly.

15 hours ago, Dragonhawk1066 said:

I know right?!?!? It was still water based though, LOL. The wheels are almost done, and the engines are wired and pretty much built. The interiors are detailed and ready for the dash decals, and the chassis and suspension pieces are painted and ready for assembly. The bodies are just waiting for me to be in the mood for BMF and then decals before final clear coat. It's been slow going, al least it seems like it, but everything should go together pretty quickly.

I guess you will be using that Americana Dura Gloss Clear??  

I got the BMF on the window trim yesterday, and the decals on today. I also finished both interiors today. There wasn't much of a groove for the front windshield, so I used some Tamiya tape for curves and outlined the trim, applied the foil, and used the tape edge as a guide for trimming. The back windows had a decent groove molded in, but I still deepened it a little for a better guide for the blade.  I have the Trans am script for the front fenders and rear spoiler from Keith Marks, but I'm waiting until final clear, wet sanding, polishing, and wax before I apply them. The KM decal sheet has the right tiny fender script, but only includes one of each color, so I would need to order another sheet. There are 3 different shades of script just a little larger that I'm going to put on at the end, and decide afterwards if it looks ok with the slightly larger script. If not, I can easily remove them while I await another sheet. Tomorrow's schedule calls for both bodies to get their final clear coats, and getting the grilles and tail lights detailed.

DSCN6031.JPG

DSCN6033.JPG

DSCN6040.JPG

DSCN6036.JPG

DSCN6039.JPG

DSCN6043.JPG

DSCN6047.JPG

So I got the Decoart DuraClear Gloss varnish sprayed on and it definitely needs to be wet sanded and polished. I fear I might have gone too heavy with the first coat over the decals. We'll see if I can sand and polish it out, but if not I do have the second set of stripes for both to fall back on. I'll let the clear sit and harden until Friday or Saturday before attacking it. I'm at a standstill until then, because all that's left is detailing the engine bay, installing the "glass", the front grille and tail lights, and final assembly.

DSCN6049.JPG

DSCN6048.JPG

3 hours ago, FLHCAHZ said:

Did you freehand paint the details on the dash and consol?

Nope, the gauge panel, gauges, and gear selectors are all decals. The gauge panel is a little tricky as the gauge openings in the decal don't quite line up right with the gauge bezels.

Edited by Dragonhawk1066

My right arm and hand are not going to forgive me any time soon, but I got both bodies wet-sanded, polished, and waxed. I started with 2000 grit, then 4000, then 6000. I went over the stripes with 2000 grit three different times to get them to where I was happy. The clear was plenty tough enough after 3 days drying time to handle some rigorous wet-sanding with 2000 grit without burning through. After wet-sanding, I polished them with Novus #2, and then applied a coat of Meguiar's Cleaner Wax. I also painted the head-liners, and started painting the engine bays just before dinner (no pics of that yet).

DSCN6058.JPG

DSCN6066.JPG

DSCN6061.JPG

DSCN6065.JPG

DSCN6067.JPG