Model Cars Magazine Forum

Nunu 2021

On 3/24/2021 at 10:15 AM, vintagerpm said:

So, whatever happened to the modern 911 race cars we were promised last year?

I guess the next release is the BMW M8 GTE and then maybe the 911 RSR and GT3R? 

Also, if anyone has an “in” with Nunu, tell them the world needs a 1/24 Lamborghini Huracan GT3, too! 😎

Ben

1 hour ago, Ben Brown said:

I guess the next release is the BMW M8 GTE and then maybe the 911 RSR and GT3R? 

Also, if anyone has an “in” with Nunu, tell them the world needs a 1/24 Lamborghini Huracan GT3, too! 😎

Ben

Ben, I've been begging for that Lambo for a while now.

spacer.png

Everyone is very gun shy after the disaster of the R-SV GT1 kit. The subsequent poor sales of that kit scuttled plans at Aoshima for further racing Lamborghinis. 

With BeemaNuNu, there's also the bad experience of dealing with Aoshima as a distributor, and Aoshima holding the main Lamborghini license in Japan. 

I've tried to no avail (so far) to get a Huracan project advanced, and I keep hearing there's not much interest in kitting an M4 when it comes into being in the 2022 season.

That stinks. The R-SV wasn't all that well-known or successful, unlike the Huracan GT3. With all of the colorful liveries, one would think a Huracan would sell pretty well. I was wondering if Aoshima having the Lamborghini licensing tied up was part of it. 

Ben

I think with nunu they need to keep going down the touring car track. The merc 190e dtm 1992, audi quattro dtm 1992, rover vitesse etcc 1986, holden commodore vk etcc 1986, ford mondeo word cup winner 1994 would all be amazing to see. These cars would sell a lot, just like their m3. Even a replacement for tamiya's sierra rs500 or bmw 635csi would be awesome! 

Street E36 M3 like old Dragon kit, 991 and 992 GT2-3RS, even 997’s. Aussie sedans, E63, Koenigseggs. Modified curbside with detail up. IMSA E36, Audi Quattro 5000, tons of stuff that haven’t been done but would sell, just like their current stuff. BRE 510/240/Kwech Alfa...

44 minutes ago, keyser said:

Street E36 M3 like old Dragon kit, 991 and 992 GT2-3RS, even 997’s. Aussie sedans, E63, Koenigseggs. Modified curbside with detail up. IMSA E36, Audi Quattro 5000, tons of stuff that haven’t been done but would sell, just like their current stuff. BRE 510/240/Kwech Alfa...

I would find it highly unlikely that they would ever seriously consider a street legal vehicle.  Much like Belkits, they've found their niche in doing in-demand racing model kits. 

It’s also highly unlikely they’ve spent time at any track days at places like COTA or Road Atlanta. Paddock and run groups are filled with semi-street legal cars. 
Many cars I mentioned are old race cars that were very successful. IMSA E36 M3, Audi 200 etc won a lot of races. Guy named Rohrl drove some. Group 44 ran the Audi team, BMWNA ran the M cars. Street versions are secondary. 
Obviously not “in-demand” I guess with popularity of WRC here in US. Lol. 

That Dragon/RevellAG E36 M3 is still floating around out there somewhere, so it's hard to see someone making an entirely new one just to have the original one get reissued right into the profit margin.

While I understand your point, the fact that IMSA ran/runs it's own spec setup at times, and the majority of American builders want loud things that go in straight lines, it's hard to argue the viability of a project like that unless it can be run along side a similar "World Spec" (bonus points for Guia Race of Macau potential) kit variant as well.  That's why you see things coming up like the E46 M3 GTR - which was spent so much time winning in IMSA abusing a dubious loophole in homologation rules they banned it, because it also won 24h of Nurburgring 2x is a row.  Or the Audi A4 Touring project which won several years in Macau in addition to BTCC. 

It the "single use" nature of that kit in a larger perspective that seems to make them shy about making it.  It something I bring up with anyone I know who's in the aftermarket who deals with them as well.  Replace that god awful chassis-sized Fujimi kit the way the M3 did.  It has many DTM, Touring and Macau uses.  BUT what else can they make that uses a Mercedes license. Tamiya kits full a huge swath of the other options from the 93 DTM, 02 DTM, CLK GTR, AMG GT3, etc.  Fujimi kitted the SLS AMG GT3...

If you step back and look their manufacturer licenses are multi-use...with the exception of the Lancia Delta S4 which has two releases, Volvo with two releases, and the Cruze will have it's 2nd release finally next month.  They've only made one thing with their Nissan license, but there was supposed to be that 80s Nissan Cherry "Minor Touring" project.  The 306 Maxi is a new kit and there will be the Evo II version, but who knows what other projects that could lead to down the road.

Mitsubishi - Lancer (x2) & Starion

Honda - Civic EF3 x2, EF9 (1 release, 1 pending)

Audi - Pending Quattro S1, Quattro S1 E2, R8 LMS (x2, 1 pending), pending R8 LMS Evo, pending A4 Touring

BMW - M3 (x5 release, 1 pending), M6 (x5 release, 1 pending), 320i DTCC (with pending 2004 Spec, M3 GTR, and E90 Touring pending of the base tooling), pending M8, pending Gr 5 320i

Toyota - ST165 Celica x4, TA64 Celica x3, Corona/Carina (total x3), AE92 Levin x2, (Starlet Pending?)

Porsche - 935 K2, K3, pending 911 SC/RS, pending 911 GT3, pending 911 RSR

Edited by niteowl7710

13 hours ago, niteowl7710 said:

If you step back and look their manufacturer licenses are multi-use...with the exception of the Lancia Delta S4 which has two releases, Volvo with two releases, and the Cruze will have it's 2nd release finally next month.

Speaking of Volvo, they hinted an S40 on Facebook last year.  There is also a Vauxhall Cavalier hinted but Opel and Vauxhall are no longer GM.  The last car hinted was the Alfa 155.

I am hoping the Peugeot license would lead to a 406 down the road.  And maybe a Primera or Pulsar GTi-R for the Nissan license, if Hasegawa doesn't do it first.