Model Cars Magazine Forum

Something "easy" to work on while waiting for burn and dry times on another larger project.   

A 30+ year old Starter resin kit. 

There was a nice defect in the body casting…

spacer.png

After cleaning up the flash the rest of the body isn't too bad, even if not all that accurate looking.

spacer.png

The chassis was really warped and even with plenty of heat it broke when I was trying to bend it to fit.

No problem, I just sanded the two parts to fit and then cemented them back together so the chassis would fit without being under stress.

spacer.png

Thanks guys!

Old Gunze Aqueous acrylic for the color coat.   It went on pretty well like the last time I used it, but there were a few small fisheyes on the back (not over the repair).  I figured I'd just sand them out.  Unfortunately it looked this nasty after drying for 18 hours.

spacer.png

I stripped it and used Navy Blue as the undercoat then reshot it with the Gunze only to have the same thing happen.  It was the end of the bottle, maybe it actually went bad?

spacer.png

I'd never heard of this brand, but with issues like the body divot and wheels and tires you don't seem thrilled with, it looks like you're making yet another silk purse from a sow's ear.  I just noticed that this is a 1/43 scale car. I'm glad you're still capable of working on the smaller scale stuff, 'cuz I'm not.  

Sorry to see the Gunze paint let you down.  They're one of my favorite acrylics.  Years ago when they withdrew their Aqueous line from the US, I ended up sourcing replacements from a hobby store in Australia.  Glad to see you were able to replicate the 1:1 color with the LP paints. 

I really can't fault the Gunze paint for other than the bottle I had was very old. 

Last time I used it was probably 12-15 years ago.  The fact that it was still liquid is a testimonial of sorts.  But I did break the cap unscrewing it...   

I'd still use a fresher bottle with no worries.

The glass fits OK for what it is, but certainly not good.  I cut out the driver's window since it seems to be down in all the photos I found.

The PE hangars for the side pipes are poorly rendered and fit even worse, but on par for the era/manufacturer.  The pipes themselves are huge!

spacer.png