Model Cars Magazine Forum

M2 Machines 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z/28 RS

THarrison351

When the 1969 Chevrolet Camaro Z28 RS first hit the scene, it was immediately touted as one of the hottest muscle cars on the market. The seductive coupe quickly became a popular choice among American drivers. Here is why the 1969 Chevrolet Camaro RS Z28 captured the hearts of so many people. The Camaro Z28’s RS 302-cid V-8 engine set it apart from the rest of the lineup. While the engine’s advertised output was 290 horsepower, it actually produced upwards of 400 horsepower in the real world. Many drivers were in awe of the car’s deceptive performance. When tested at the track, the 1969 Camaro Z28 RS recorded a competitive 0-60 time of 7.4 seconds. Meanwhile, its quarter-mile time stood at an impressive 14.8 seconds. With a top speed of around 135 mph, the coupe was definitely a worthy track machine. According to many automotive journalists, the 1969 Camaro Z28 RS was among the most agile muscle cars of its era. For the drivers who wanted to be noticed, very few vehicles attracted more attention than the Camaro Z28 RS. Not only did the RS package include a dazzling pair of hideaway headlights, but it also featured a special grille. Chevrolet offered an aggressive cowl-induction hood as an option. Because of the hood’s ability to draw in cool air, it was more than just an appearance upgrade. On the inside, high-grade vinyl seats gave the cabin an upscale character. Wood trim and unique gauges further enhanced the interior’s styling. In contrast to some of the other classic muscle cars, the 1969 Camaro Z28 RS appealed to a wide variety of different drivers. From hardcore racing fans to school teachers, it seemed as if everyone became infatuated with this gorgeous muscle car. Teenagers yearned for the chance to finally get behind the wheel. Upgrades such as the chambered exhaust system made it even harder to resist. As you can see, the 1969 Camaro Z28 RS had a major impact on the muscle car era.(Cool Rides Online®)

M2 Machines started releasing 1/24 scale Camaros many years ago. They have enjoyed many versions, at least in quick view. The Z/28s have had the standard grill and RS trim. There were also Z/28 drag and road race versions. The car has seen at least one COPO big block, a few 396 SS, a standard fair RS 327, and Chip Foose put his name on them with special wheels. Overall, it captures the look of the 1969 Camaro pretty well. This yellow version is the latest release. I have wanted a Z/28 to represent a collection of Trans Am cars from the first years. The Mint versions are too spendy. I was hoping one of these would show up at my Wal-Mart. If they did, the scalpers got there first. Seems to be a growing thing since Covid. Anyways, got this off eBay from an unlucky seller. Paid what I would have at Wally world. I added some paint detail, fixed the steering wheel and almost got the hood sitting flush. Should have taken a picture of the before. There was an eighth inch gap. Added a radiator hose too. Don't know why they don't have these anymore. M2 Machines Quality Control really is lacking these past couple of years.

2v2a6e1ACxAVNRq.jpg

As released (internet photo)

2v2a6eZTSxAVNRq.jpg

2v2a6eZCixAVNRq.jpg

2v2a6eZLDxAVNRq.jpg

I had to polish the black tampo stripes and touch them up with a paint pen. Added paint behind the turn signal lenses, and detailed the headlight covers. Should have seen the hood before I adjusted it!

2v2a6eZg4xAVNRq.jpg

Detail painted the wheels, put a silver dot below the door handle to represent a lock, painted the wheel trim, and added the black on the rocker.

2v2a6eZFhxAVNRq.jpg

Added a lot of black paint under the hood and an upper radiator hose. Painted the radiator cap silver.

2v2a6eZN4xAVNRq.jpg

Fixed the steering wheel that was 90 degrees off. a little detail paint on the dash. Also, you can't see it, but the headliner was painted black.

2v2a6eZjTxAVNRq.jpg

Painted the bezels around the back up lights silver and touched up the black stripes with a paint pen. The trunk opens, but nothing to see.

2v2a6eZ8SxAVNRq.jpg

Could have painted the transmission silver, but didn't feel like breaking the glue, The tires have been sanded since this photo Snake.

Very very nice! I award you the Black Belt in Snake-Fu! B)

The M2 Camaros are nice. I have three of them--an orange Z/28, a black RS, and a flat blue "Sunoco" thing which I haven't gotten to yet. I saw the yellow Zs at Walmart some month back but passed because I built the Revell kit almost exactly the same way. Only difference was I used slot wheels on it (Anson Sprints?) to match the CARS magazine test car from 1969.

Try qtips and pledge/Kleer whatever it’s called on the Donahue car. Worked nicely on matte blue McLaren P1. No brush/qtip marks. Wick runs with paper towel/tissue. 
Nice Fu on the yellow car. You fu, snake fu’s, fu two?  🤣🤦🏻‍♂️😱. I’m funniest guy I know sorry.