Model Cars Magazine Forum

Is the revell muscle 78 trans am a good bandit car

Revell has two 77-78 Firebird kits, one in 1/24 scale based on the Monogram 79 Camaro kit and one in 1/25 scale that if I remember correctly is based on a diecast kit.

The 1/24 kit doesn't have all the decal stripes for a Bandit car but the 1/25 kit does. The 1/25 has big mounting notches in the body for the door handles and mirrors but is arguably overall a bit better detailed. On the 1/25 kit you also can't install part of the nose until the interior is in.

I believe the Revell Muscle kit is the 1/24 scale kit, so no, it would not be a good choice for an accurate Bandit car.....it has the Fisher T-tops, and the Bandit car has Hurst T-tops. I do think that the Revell 1/25 kit based on a diecast does have the Hurst tops, as do the AMT/MPC kits. 

1 hour ago, roadhawg said:

I believe the Revell Muscle kit is the 1/24 scale kit, so no, it would not be a good choice for an accurate Bandit car.....it has the Fisher T-tops, and the Bandit car has Hurst T-tops. I do think that the Revell 1/25 kit based on a diecast does have the Hurst tops, as do the AMT/MPC kits. 

Is this what some Firebirds have a narrow panel between the tops and others have a wider panel? I've noticed this but never knew what the difference was.

4 minutes ago, Fat Brian said:

Is this what some Firebirds have a narrow panel between the tops and others have a wider panel? I've noticed this but never knew what the difference was.

Yes, the Hurst have a wide panel. There '77. Possibly '76, I'm not sure.

Fisher [GM] narrow panel. '78 and up. 

IIRC, there may have been some overlap when a year got both, not sure about that, maybe '78? 

6 minutes ago, Can-Con said:

IIRC, there may have been some overlap when a year got both, not sure about that, maybe '78? 

IIRC , the Trans Am(s) in the movie were actually 1976 models with prototype front and rear facias . That may or may not affect the correct T-Tops' respective designs / layout .

The sequels were lame, just didn't have the chemistry of the first one.

Not sure what Hal Needham was thinking on the second one. If the first had a sense of an urgency, a deadline to meet and that the law was chasing the outlaw, then what was the slow, casual, uneventful pace for running an elephant to a political event? The plot didn't even make sense. Watching it, you can tell even Burt Reynolds wasn't believing the story.

I would have rather seen the Sheriff in hot pursuit of them running to Boston for some clam chowder. At least that would have been a logical conclusion to the original. 

Edited by Oldcarfan27
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

The sequels were lame, just didn't have the chemistry of the first one.

Not sure what Hal Wallis was thinking on the second one. If the first had a sense of an urgency, a deadline to meet and that the law was chasing the outlaw, then what was the slow, casual, uneventful pace for running an elephant to a political event? The plot didn't even make sense. Watching it, you can tell even Burt Reynolds wasn't believing the story.

I would have rather seen the Sheriff in hot pursuit of them running to Boston for some clam chowder. At least that would have been a logical conclusion to the original. 

i honestly thought the second one would have been the clam chowder. seeing that big elephant in the truck with no room to move around made me annoyed.

maybe they thought it was a time for a change if pace from high speed action to a slow rolling, stop at every rest stop to meet some random celebrity for some cameo appearances. 

it did remind me of some of the sillyness that goes on today so kids can become "internet famous"

Edited by MrMiles

12 hours ago, Can-Con said:

T-tops started in '76, with the Hurst style. The Fisher style started around the middle of '78. The easiest way to tell which is which , the rear of the Fisher tops are even with the rear of the side window, the Hurst tops are not. 

1977-Trans-Am-Roof-630x390.jpg

candcmore.jpg

1 hour ago, roadhawg said:

T-tops started in '76, with the Hurst style. The Fisher style started around the middle of '78. The easiest way to tell which is which , the rear of the Fisher tops are even with the rear of the side window, the Hurst tops are not. 

1977-Trans-Am-Roof-630x390.jpg

candcmore.jpg

The second pic isn't a Fisher top, it's an aftermarket top.

It's a C&C top. [Cars & Concepts Co.] I understand those are quite rare. I've never seen one in person. 

14 hours ago, MrMiles said:

i finally got around to watching smokey and the bandit 2. what a hunk of poo

Been decades since I saw it, but I seem to recall that the high point was watching a TBM Avenger drop a load of manure on Paul Williams in the first five minutes. Is that about right? :unsure:

21 minutes ago, Snake45 said:

Been decades since I saw it, but I seem to recall that the high point was watching a TBM Avenger drop a load of manure on Paul Williams in the first five minutes. Is that about right? :unsure:

Yeah. There wasn't really any redeeming qualities to the movie. 

In The credits they show bloopers and you see the guys messing up the lines and sally fields looks annoyed by it.  She definitely looks like she had enough 

6 minutes ago, 1972coronet said:

These days -- if such a film could be made with a air of realism -- the plot could be The Bandit  and  The Snowman  hauling paints , cleaners , and other chemicals that are banned for sale in California ! 🤣🤣

With the cats and smog equipment removed on the vehicles! LOL

• Haha 1

21 hours ago, Can-Con said:

The second pic isn't a Fisher top, it's an aftermarket top.

It's a C&C top. [Cars & Concepts Co.] I understand those are quite rare. I've never seen one in person. 

Oops, my mistake....you are correct, sir. That's what I get for posting before coffee, lol. THIS is the correct Fisher T-tops......

unnamed.jpg