Model Cars Magazine Forum

Which Craft Paint Do You Prefer?

On 11/2/2021 at 11:48 AM, Dave G. said:

DecoArt is good too but but you just have to do a thinner with no ipa in it.

I actually want to clarify my statement above on this. The Dazzling Metallics series from them is fine with my thinner blend that has alcohol in it. The standard series may be, I haven't tested that. Most of my colors are the Americana series, for these I use a blend of water and Liquitex Airbrush Medium and a little retarder. Sprays awesome putting down two very light coats and let each flash off then a couple or more wetter coats from then on. But if isopropyl gets to the Americana it will gel, takes 2-3 minutes to happen jfwiw.

Additionally, with the Liquitex medium in there the paint sticks to plastic pretty decently without primer. Though I generally prime everything, I tested it without.

Edited by Dave G.

9 hours ago, JohnU said:

It’s been mentioned that Windex or washer fluid was used to thin craft paint. These are usually tinted blue! Doesn’t this affect the paint color?

I never found either one to be the perfect solution for me personally and only used them a few times ( others think they are great though ). Never noticed any color issues when I did use them.

Ya the dye is very weak in the Windex, if you put straight Windex in your airbrush cup ( I often use it for back flushing acrylic paint after hot water flushing) you really don't see the blue against the chrome. And I'm pretty sure maybe 4 years ago or so I thinned white craft paint with washer fluid and it came out fine and that has a bit more dye than the Windex.

But lately I'm more and more on board with Liquitex Airbrush medium and water ( 50/50 blend of those components) and a drop of retarder which is also Liquitex, thin to a sprayable consistency. The paint really breaks down into a creamy consistency this way, very airbrush friendly because well, it's made for the job lol.  What I'm really liking about this is it's not real fussy as to exact thinness and it dries satin in sheen and smoothness. Just don't do this if you want an ultra flat sheen, the airbrush medium is white but it dries clear gloss in nature which bumps up a satin into flat paints. If I want truly flat paint I do something else.

Edited by Dave G.