Model Cars Magazine Forum

What do you love about model building?

The fact it dosen't cost much to build.Also the fact its artistic(many people have different versions of cool which varies from one person to another thus making it artistic).And i can make my dream car without gitting into the 50,000-100,000 range like the real ones cost.

I also enjoy the artistic aspect of it. I might not be able to paint pictures, but models are my kind of sculpture. To take a box of plastic bits and pieces, apply my skills to them, and wind up with something unique gives me a real lift.

I enjoy looking at a new kit for the first time, and discovering the neat details in it. Especially the unexpected bonuses Revell seems to put in!

I like planning how I'm going to build a car, choosing a colour scheme for it, and construction when things go well. I feel a real sense of achievement when the body is mated to the floorpan for the final time - and I especially enjoy looking at the finished product, holding it up to my eyes, turning it around to examine it from all angles and imagining it was real!

Echoing the sentiments of others, what I like best about model building is actually "owning" the car of my dreams albeit in a small scale.

Be it 1/43 up to 1/8 scale.

A lot of the cars I liked as a teen in the '70's I simply couldn't afford, mainly the cheap used muscle cars of the day-------much less so now as they've exploded in price.

This way I get to hold a classic in my hand, don't have to worry about high insurance, no high gas prices, and no worries about it getting wrecked on the street.

Although getting dropped on the floor is just as hazardous! :angry:B)

I am near the same of Rodney's but with some difference.

Spending a heck lot of a time in a modelstore to find the model I want ( or online )

Anxious waiting to get it

Ripping the box open, look at the body and the other parts

Reading the manual over and over

Visualize new ideas, visualize a paintjob

Starting assembling the motor and detailling, trying to go further than where I stopped with my last model

Starting modifying the body and make it better

Starting the paintjob and starting to detail the interior

And in the finishing stage; sence I am satisfied and can't wait to see it done.

And start the next model :angry:

That is very hard to pin point the favorite part. I enjoy the friends I have made online. I enjoy trading for parts even if its something good for what someone might call garbage cause I enjoy creating something out of nothing! Give me a body and Ill create a masterpiece from it. LOL. So I also have to say imagining it and bringing it to life. I enjoy the scratchbuilding. I am also finially starting to enjoy the painting now that I have finially found my trick to a show quality paint job. The biggest thing is having anxiety issues, it helps me to relax and get my mind off of what things dont matter and tunniling my frustrations into something good. Thanks. Jody

The best part about modeling is that there is no right or wrong way of doing things. It is your model, you decide what you want to built. ( Unless its a group build )

Although I am quite used to people saying things like how the model should be, and how it should not be, I do get quite annoyed at times. But like all hobbies, there are bound to be such people around.

:D

Figuring out how to easily get Satin's adhesive (super glue) off of the newly finished paint job without having to respray the entire model... :D

Or figuring out how to glue the seat that came loose after you glued the interior tub to the body. ;) Seriously, what I enjoy most is the creative side, the decision process, finding the right parts, colors etc. Of course, it's also fun to learn the new methods and skills it takes to pull it off.

Clay...what i enjoy about building model cars is it allows me to express my artistic needs with my love for the automobile in a venue I can afford - scale models. :blink:

If I had unlimited funds...I'd be doing it in full scale, just like Jay Leno!

One of the biggest benefits is the cool people I've met either personally or via cyberspace, especially those close friends I've acquired o'er the past 20 years. :lol:B);):P<_<