Model Cars Magazine Forum

customline

22 hours ago, Steve H said:

Well, Mark is a VERY tough act to follow,  Mark you have a knack for doing just enough, but not too much. Extremely difficult to do, you do very well sir. I’ll throw in a few pics. 
33 Ford, (ZZ Top car) My first attempt at patina

8E087A5F-1EAF-4513-993A-FE874F5EE746.thumb.jpeg.d15e5196a2e1c939aa9cebfdafb25517.jpeg
57 Chev daily driver.

54A9F875-20CE-4BE7-BA43-0BA68622624F.thumb.jpeg.9716507fe7caf0488e3c81ab592a6080.jpeg

145F78EA-9568-4427-BCAE-2F0BAEB86BCA.thumb.jpeg.8db2c0000fe66cd52a3aa0730bdcffaa.jpeg

37 Ford truck. 
44AA4B84-584B-4015-AA0B-4E3EB5755878.thumb.jpeg.24c247149e8305e5b1498feac87f3735.jpeg

068A927C-FE80-487C-87BA-0290F4115331.thumb.jpeg.900db9b87d4d3ac1d14ba68b1f9b22f4.jpeg

A41965E9-B4DC-4B08-A48B-61DB916A66F1.thumb.jpeg.ffa379c210de4ef870a9098bd2a5e5f5.jpeg

Cool to see all this beautiful rust in one spot.

Steve! Great stuff, nice variety. Love that '38, mine is below.IMG_1538.thumb.jpg.f368114aa679db2a8de94ad59ca68cfc.jpgIMG_1539.jpg.faaf44ded490f120be246eb54f6e9f1f.jpg

Edited by customline
  • Like 1

20220117_215701.thumb.jpg.e813560e6e6d7f039effc226ceda61f8.jpg

1 hour ago, customline said:

I remember these old Metro vans well. Originally used as delivery trucks from local bakeries in my hometown, many served as "beach buggies". They could be seen at Rhode Island's southern beaches, mostly members of the RIBBA, easily identified by a pair of propane bottles on the back. They were everywhere. Is this "hippie" van an admission of something Eric? 🤔 

The only thing I can say is "never convicted!" In truth,  my dad was a peace advocate and protester of wars in the hippie era. This model was a tribute to him, as was this '26 Ford Fordor (not a typo) sedan that was his first car. As an aside I still own the car he bought as a high school student. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Eric Macleod said:

20220117_215701.thumb.jpg.e813560e6e6d7f039effc226ceda61f8.jpg

The only thing I can say is "never convicted!" In truth,  my dad was a peace advocate and protester of wars in the hippie era. This model was a tribute to him, as was this '26 Ford Fordor (not a typo) sedan that was his first car. As an aside I still own the car he bought as a high school student. 

W0W, ERIC, THATS INCREDIBLE!  I think we all ( us car nuts) want to immortalize these vehicles that are significant in our lives. I have, and I've built some for friends too.  Maybe a good idea for another thread?

1 hour ago, customline said:

Who uses this stuff? I do, and I'm curious about it's popularity. 

I use it all the time now. It takes a little trial and error, I found that if you put the part you're "rusting" in a zip lock bag it helps rust it alot better. Here's the last one I used it on and one built years ago without using it. To me it makes a big difference.

IMG_4490.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

Captured 2012-11-26 00059.jpg

Captured 2012-11-26 00062.jpg

• Like 2

On 1/16/2022 at 4:54 PM, Claude Thibodeau said:

Hi Mark!

Obviously, you guys from upstate NY have made rust  an art form. Very convincing!

Your model A "tractor" reminds me of the things I used to encounter in the late 60's, when we were running the contry roads to find remnants of antique cars to find parts for our hot rods. Of course, the collector/restorers crowd would no sell us any extra part they had, because of the "horrible cars" we wanted to build. 

Nostalgia...

CT 

Hi Claude, finding old junk was and still is fun. My father used to be one of those guys who wouldn't sell something to someone if they planned on "ruining it" by turning it into one of those hot rods. Thankfully he's changed his tune about it now.

On 1/16/2022 at 9:55 PM, Steve H said:

Well, Mark is a VERY tough act to follow,  Mark you have a knack for doing just enough, but not too much. Extremely difficult to do, you do very well sir. I’ll throw in a few pics. 
33 Ford, (ZZ Top car) My first attempt at patina

Thanks Steve, but your models put mine to shame. I'm not surprised that the coupe is your 1st attempt, it looks great! I love your 57 Chevy, it looks like my old 56 should be parked next to it.

SUNP0003 (2).JPG

• Like 1

This is my first attempt at doing a "non-shiny" paint job.  The premise is an early moonshine runner's supply truck. It has a modified '49 Mercury flathead. rear tires are spun slick, and the bed has real wood with one slat broken.  Of course, all the chrome pieces are painted black, because you do not need an unnatural reflection in the woods on a moonlit night.

uumjtrA.jpg

Edited by TarheelRick
  • Like 1

44 minutes ago, mchook said:

I use it all the time now. It takes a little trial and error, I found that if you put the part you're "rusting" in a zip lock bag it helps rust it alot better. Here's the last one I used it on and one built years ago without using it. To me it makes a big difference.

IMG_4490.jpg

IMG_4499.jpg

Captured 2012-11-26 00059.jpg

Captured 2012-11-26 00062.jpg

They both look great! Is the blue/white truck an I H? I have found that it needs to be applied a bit heavy to get a good rust coat and sometimes it gets to thick of a look. Not good for a light surface rust . Maybe you know how to do this? It's great for rust through though. I guess I should experiment more. 🤔

Edited by customline

On 1/18/2022 at 10:38 AM, customline said:

They both look great! Is the blue/white truck an I H? I have found that it needs to be applied a bit heavy to get a good rust coat and sometimes it gets to thick of a look. Not good for a light surface rust . Maybe you know how to do this? It's great for rust through though. I guess I should experiment more. 🤔

Thanks Jim, Yeah that's a 56 International resin cab I got from RMR. There is a build thread on here and it's in the truck section under glass too. As for using this paint for surface rust it can be done but like you said, it takes alot of experimenting. The paint has iron in it so it has to be mixed really well to work properly. I use a long brush handle to mix the paint first and make sure I scrape all the stuff at the bottom because that's what you need. Once the ball inside moves around easily then I shake it with my paint mixer, which is just an old jigsaw with a squeeze speed clamp in it. I've even thinned it with a little water so it's not too thick. Keep playing with it and you'll be surprised what you can do with it.

On 1/13/2022 at 11:34 AM, customline said:

Originally I am from Rhode Island where road salt takes a toll on your ride. I hated rusted out rocker panels. Things have changed and the manufacturers are much better about rust protection now. BUT I MISS IT!  Rust is now, for me, nostalgic; below are my attempts at rusty rides. Please feel free to post your rusty rides here. I would love to see them. 👀.   LET THE RUST REIGN! 

Simply awesome!

1 hour ago, mchook said:

Thanks Jim, Yeah that's a 56 International resin cab I got from RMR. There is a build thread on here and it's in the truck section under glass too. As for using this paint for surface rust it can be done but like you said, it takes alot of experimenting. The paint has iron in it so it has to be mixed really well to work properly. I use a long brush handle to mix the paint first and make sure I scrape all the stuff at the bottom because that's what you need. Once the ball inside moves around easily then I shake it with my paint mixer, which is just an old jigsaw with a squeeze speed clamp in it. I've even thinned it with a little water so it's not too thick. Keep playing with it and you'll be surprised what you can do with it.

The paint mixer is genius, Mark, and I've got an old sabre-saw thats just sitting in my truck rusting quietly. Yeah, the iron stuff can be like concrete after sitting a few hours. I do all that you mentioned with it but I'll be doing a rust project soon so I'll be doing plenty of experiments. I'll look for that IH thread, that's gotta be interesting 🤔 I looked at a lot of YouTube videos yesterday and there are many interesting techniques to try.

33 minutes ago, customline said:

The paint mixer is genius, Mark, and I've got an old sabre-saw thats just sitting in my truck rusting quietly. Yeah, the iron stuff can be like concrete after sitting a few hours. I do all that you mentioned with it but I'll be doing a rust project soon so I'll be doing plenty of experiments. I'll look for that IH thread, that's gotta be interesting 🤔 I looked at a lot of YouTube videos yesterday and there are many interesting techniques to try.

Cool, you should start a thread on your next rusty junker and share it with us.

Here's a few more of mine...

TRAILER 00071.jpg

TRAILER 00072.jpg

TRAILER 00077.jpg

TRAILER 00078.jpg

mego waltons 00023.jpg

mego waltons 00036.jpg

mego waltons 00043.jpg

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mchook said:

Cool, you should start a thread on your next rusty junker and share it with us.

Here's a few more of mine...

TRAILER 00071.jpg

TRAILER 00072.jpg

TRAILER 00077.jpg

TRAILER 00078.jpg

mego waltons 00023.jpg

mego waltons 00036.jpg

mego waltons 00043.jpg

The tractor is incredibly realistic.  The dents on the '40 are completely believable ( how was it done?) This is so realistic I think it would fool a lot of people.

5 hours ago, customline said:

The tractor is incredibly realistic.  The dents on the '40 are completely believable ( how was it done?) This is so realistic I think it would fool a lot of people.

Thanks, those dents are done the old fashion way, with a candle heated from the backside of the dent.

4 hours ago, mchook said:

Thanks, those dents are done the old fashion way, with a candle heated from the backside of the dent.

I have an abundance of fenders to practice on and I plan to put some minor dents in my next build, the '41 Chevy pickup. I'm psyched! 😀 Thanks, Mark!

• 1 year later...