Model Cars Magazine Forum

1/16 Revell Chevy Off-Road Pickup with Suzuki Dirtbike

Casey

Content pics of the 1/16 Revell Chevy Off-Road Pickup with Suzuki Dirtbike here: https://modelkitreviews.proboards.com/thread/1666/revell-chevy-road-pickup-suzuki

A short wheelbase Chevy Scottsdale 4x4 Stepside with oversized tires, multiple aftermarket parts and accessories, and classic '70s sunrise decals, all in 1/16 scale, plus a complete bonus Suzuki dirtbike, with box artwork by Kenny Youngblood, too? 😍

PXL_20220117_2130499262-vi.jpg.13c5c6bd81324eec305654d4e16e9b5e.jpg

Chris/Fabrux, are you planning a kit history for this one?

• Like 1

I looked over the photos, and I have to say I am surprised by a couple things.

1. The soft, blob-like details. It's like they enlarged the 1/25 scale snap kit. Very little Crispness , or clarity.

2. The fact that the Dirt Bike is built right into the kit, well integrated into the sprues.

Lastly. Please, Please somebody shrink those tires down to 1/25 scale! They are (IMHO) the very best part of the kit. I can see many 4x4 builds that could use them.  The ex-Monogram High Roller kits for a start.

5 minutes ago, Don Sikora II said:

Had no idea that Kenny Youngblood did box art for Revell.

Yep, 'blood did it. 😁

42 minutes ago, alexis said:

It's like they enlarged the 1/25 scale snap kit. Very little Crispness , or clarity.

Yes, it appears to be an enlarged version of their 1/25 scale Squarebody, but, we know it didn't quite work that way in 1977.  Revell probably just elected not to add additional details vs. the 1/25 scale version. It's been years since I've had the 1/25 Revell Squarebody kit in hand, but, going on memory, there are some areas on the 1/16 version which are more detailed than the 1/25 version. Whether or not that equated to "better", I won't say.

45 minutes ago, alexis said:

2. The fact that the Dirt Bike is built right into the kit, well integrated into the sprues.

I built the Swamp Monster version in the '80s, and recalled it contained many of the same (i.e, stock...-ish) parts, so here's a comparison of the chrome parts from both the Swamp Monster and Off-Road Pickup kits, and you can see the inserts where the dirtbike parts originally resided and were later replaced: 

Off-Road Pickup chrome:

116RevellCORPchromeDirtbikeParts.jpg.5af280130926132ef445c2693c49af17.jpg

Swamp Monster chrome:

SwampMonsterChromeParts.jpg.c6e6b9b9b321739d269133806fcb7451.jpg

50 minutes ago, alexis said:

Really odd that the Gas Can half migrated over to the Motorcycle Parts area, and did not stay next to the first half. WTH?

I think that particular part is loose, and just resting in that space in the above image.

I'm really glad that I shelled out the extra $ for this vintage kit. Very exited to start building it. Looking back, I don't recall ever completing this one back in the day like soo many others. The only thing I remember was spraying it with that god awful metallic burgundy paint 😖. I'm definitely going with the orange. I already removed the chrome from the side steps (just don't think they look right like that) and the gas can. and I drilled out those headlight buckets to accept round headlights that I stole off a 1/18, '55 3100 I scavenged the suspension from for another project. I have a picture on my phone I'll post later.

I'll have to start a new thread eventually but did a little more to my 1/16 Chevy. As I said, I'm not a fan of the T tops so I started the process of filling them in. I figured what better material to use than the windows. I actually had to do a little sanding to get them to sit down in the holes, put some glue and then used this new Tamiya filler I got after I heard some people raving about it. I do like it better than the Testors. Now I'll have to let it dry then lots of sanding. And eventually primer.

20220122_150752.thumb.jpg.cc5a48f5d2c26c3fb72622401f4212e7.jpg20220122_151100.thumb.jpg.fabdf3e4cd5c37e7a3ad730a386f4182.jpg

On 1/20/2022 at 7:48 AM, Fabrux said:

I hadn't, but I could add it to the queue. 😊

🙂

On 1/20/2022 at 8:29 AM, alexis said:

Please somebody shrink those tires down to 1/25 scale! They are (IMHO) the very best part of the kit. 

I would agree. Not sure why Revell created a handful unique 1/16 scale tires, then used them on only one kit or series of (very few) 1/16 scale kits.

• 3 weeks later...
On 1/22/2022 at 5:43 PM, Casey said:

🙂

I would agree. Not sure why Revell created a handful unique 1/16 scale tires, then used them on only one kit or series of (very few) 1/16 scale kits.

I think the rubber tires came from a Japanese supplier and did not belong to Revell, that's why they didn't use them on other kits later.

Not sure why they didn't just source more when they needed them.

11 hours ago, Oldcarfan27 said:

I think the rubber tires came from a Japanese supplier and did not belong to Revell, that's why they didn't use them on other kits later.

Yes, they did. I touched upon that here:

I figured since they must have gone through all the design work, why not make them (or, alternatively, the BFGs or Goodyear Wranglers) in the "other" (1/25 or 1/16, depending) scale, too?