Model Cars Magazine Forum

Super Detailed Race Driven Weathered Mercedes AMG GT3

Hello Everyone,

I recently finished this Tamiya Mercedes AMG GT3 model kit.

When I set out to build this it was going to be box stock. However, after having a vision while I was cutting the sprue off the parts tree's I realized I wanted to do more than a standard box stock build. I wanted to do a fantasy livery that paid homage to those who raced back in the numerous GT series in the 90's. So with that, below is what I did.

- Used Tamiya Castrol Tom's Supra GT livery for this build. It's pays homage to the Castrol Tom's Supra and racer's from back in the 90's. Yes I know the decals are for a Toyota based manufacturer and it is on a German Mercedes AMG. This was to pay homage and be a fantasy livery.

- Jameston over at Scale Finishes was able to color match the Castrol Green and Red paint based on two decals I sent him. This allowed for the paint to match the decals and there be difference in the color of the paint and the color of the decals. 

- When I finished clearing the body, I realized I wanted it to be weathered, race driven, and have the essence of it being in a museum right from being in the winner's circle. 

You can watch the entire build series or final outcome of this build below where I go over all that I did to the build and what I used to make the build come out the way it did.

I hope you all enjoy this post and enjoy the video for those who watch it. 

P1001207.JPG

P1001208.JPG

P1001211.JPG

P1001214.JPG

P1001215.JPG

P1001216.JPG

P1001218.JPG

P1001219.JPG

P1001221.JPG

P1001222.JPG

P1001224.JPG

P1001225.JPG